- advertisement -

Have to explain D to second grade class...link to Jonas pics?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by timnshann, Sep 2, 2009.

1. timnshann

timnshann Approved members

Turns out second graders ask more questions then 1st graders...
    so I was asked by Blake (and his teacher) to please explain diabetes and his pod to his class.
    Along with the little presentation explaining diabetes and letting them look at and hold a pod,
    I was hoping to show a picture of Nick Jonas actually wearing his pod because I was hoping t
    hat would add to the "cool factor" a little bit (Blake is suddenly worried about being viewed as "weird")

Also, if anyone has any suggestions or other photo links of (maybe of Jay Cutler) wearing a pump or testing that would be great.
    I have looked but am having a hard time finding some I can print out.

2. kpoehls

kpoehls Approved members

What a neat idea you have to help these students understand diabetes. I am sorry to say that I do not have any images to send of Nick with his pod... :cwds:

3. Traci

Traci Approved members

Sorry, no pics of Nick Jonas. Good luck on the talk with the class!

I have talked to ds's class every year just to break the ice for him. I always start by asking who has had a broken arm or leg, who wears glasses, if anyone knows someone with asthma...that type thing and then I compare ds's broken pancreas to the broken arm, leg, eyes, or lungs. His pump is the "cast" or the "glasses" or the "inhaler." Very easy for them to understand and it usually turns the conversation back around to them instead of ds so he becomes just another kid with a broken part instead of the kid with diabetes. This year, I did add that his PDM was not an ipod, not an iphone, and definitely not the remote starter to his Hummer! LOL

4. miss_behave

miss_behave Approved members

Heres a pic, its not that good, but I don't think theres any out there of him properly showing it, he usually hides it pretty well.

[​IMG]

5. sariana

sariana Approved members

No Photo Of Nick Jonas with the Omnipod other then what has been given, but he had an article where he discusses it...

He is also on commercials and flyers in stores that I have seen...

6. goochgirl

goochgirl Approved members

None here, but our Endo's office has a full size cardboard standup of Nick. I thought that was pretty funny.