- advertisement -

Have stopped Doing Basal Testing

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by NomadIvy, Feb 23, 2012.

1. NomadIvy

NomadIvy Approved members

Because as soon as I figure things out... things change again... :cwds: ... just saying. Back to your regular programming.

2. mandapanda1980

mandapanda1980 Approved members

I agree, things change sooo often, lately I am just adjusting as I go, without basal testing. If I'm just at my wits end I will basal test, but often I can figure it out by trial and error

3. Connie(BC)Type 1

Connie(BC)Type 1 Approved members

I've never done "on purpose" basal testing, have gone a day unintentionally here and there without food, and most times the basal works, sometimes it doesn't!

4. selketine

selketine Approved members

I think basal testing is good if you think you are WAY off and/or having consistent long-term highs and lows. I found it useful at one point when everything seemed off.

Otherwise it seems William goes through some cycles of running higher or lower and I try to tweak. His basal pattern is very flat at the moment - unlike several years ago when he needed much less basal at night.

5. virgo39

virgo39 Approved members

That's been my experience too. And on school days, it seems that all bets are off ...

6. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

We don't basal test. If something looks "off", I'll try adjusting basal. If it works, great. If not, I change it back and try something else.

We're REAL scientific here. ;)

7. Deal

Deal Approved members

We basal test most nights, so to speak. If he goes to bed with a nice number and no insulin on board and he wakes up with a nice number then we are good.

I have noticed that on days where we can predict a lot of activity we can cut down on the basal. Otherwise we are sure to get a night time low.

We do a single morning Lantus shot as our basal.

8. NomadIvy

NomadIvy Approved members

Yep, been doing this as well. But there are just days the numbers don't seem to make any sense...

Lesson #2: do not change basal rates when you're half-asleep :eek:

9. manda81

manda81 Approved members

I always wondered about this.

When we first started pumping they gave us all the worksheets for basal testing, etc... and they're still in the folder where we left them. *lol* We do the same thing, just make adjustments when we seen a issue. Usually on day 3 of seeing a pattern.

I thought maybe I was the only one, or I was just incredibly lazy! :p

10. GaPeach

GaPeach Approved members

Crazy hormones are making it so hard to identify trends. She is having hormone induced migraines. The pain causes adrenaline highs right in the middle of basal testing. One day she climbed 50 points with no food in 30 minutes. The next day she stayed right in range during the same time period. 3rd day - major highs that fought correction. All this time, she was too sick to eat much of anything due to the migraine.

I too have stopped basal testing. Instead I use temp basals a lot and check bg frequently.

May I get off this roller coaster ride please?

11. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

it has been forever since I actually did an official basal test. I just look for patterns and make adjustments.

If things are really off I make big adjustments and wach things very closely, of course i also make sure we do this with a good working CGM.