- advertisement -

Have some questions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ljv4boys, Mar 19, 2007.

1. ljv4boys

ljv4boys New Member

I am a Mom of 4 boys and suspect that 2 of them may be diabetic. They both have a lot of symptoms. I asked to have my oldest tested and my Dr. is being difficult. I am meeting with her for a consultation to discuss what is going on again and if she does not test them I will be going somewhere else. She does not think they have it.
    My 10 year old has had symptoms for a while, but he had other things going on with his kidneys that never gave us a clear diagnosis. I mentioned diabetes and they basically brushed me off. I have noticed more symptoms over a period of time like bed wetting, thirsty, extreme moods and he gets very dizzy and sick if does not eat. He also has a severe milk allergy and wears glasses since age four.
    My 5 year old has to have a drink every minute of the day and is in the bathroom constantly. He also gets up a few times during the night to go to the bathroom. He also is always tired and complains of tired legs all of the time. He also started wearing glasses when he was four.
    Both of their vision is poor and no one in our families wore glasses this young.
    I am wondering how long it took you to have your children diagnosed ? Were there symptoms that you may overlooked that you realize now was pointing to diabetes?
    Also if I try to test them at home what do you recommend?
    Thanks for helping out.

2. gsmom

gsmom Approved members

When my son was dx he was wetting a lot, constantly thirsty, had lost some weight & was very moody. My daughter only had a few accidents and complained that her tummy hurt & she felt like throwing up before bed, but never actually vomitted. We caught her very early because we checked her with her brothers meter as soon as she started showing some symptoms. I'm glad to hear that you are pursuing this seriously because it definitely sounds like they have something going on & the sooner you have a dx, whatever it might be, the better off for them! A simple meter check would be easy enough to do or you could do a urine dip with a ketostick to check for ketones too. From what you've said, I would get them in ASAP. Please keep us updated on how they (& you) are doing. This is a fabulous place, full of caring people with great information.

3. ljv4boys

ljv4boys New Member

thanks Jodi

Hi thanks for the response. I think I may test at home with the urine and see if anything comes up while I am waiting. I just feel that there is something wrong. I do not know a lot about it, but I am sure this board will be very helpful. Thanks! Laura

4. KatelinsMom

KatelinsMom Approved members

When my daughter was diagnosed she had a fairly rapid onset of extreme thirst, excessive urination, and lost a lot of weight in a short period of time. By the time I got her checked, she was very very sick with severe diabetic ketoacidosis and had to be airlifted to a hospital with a pediatric intensive care unit. I am glad you are pushing your physician to workup your sons symptoms. I hope you get to the bottom of whatever is going on soon..:)

5. Momto4

Momto4 Approved members

If you happen to have a friend with diabetes, ask them if you can use their meter to check your boys. That is what we did when I suspected it in my daughter.

6. BRANDYB

BRANDYB Approved members

My Daughter Was Dx This Yr With D And I Begged Her Pediatrician To Check Her For Diabetes For A Long Time. They Always Brushed Me Off Saying There Was No Need In It. Her Birth Father Even Has Type 1 And I Was Told That Did Not Matter Because It Is Not Passed Down. The Last Dr's Visit, I Had The Gut Feeling Not To Leave-i Told Her Dr I Would Stay Until They Checked Her. I Did Not Let Her Eat Or Drink The Night Before Because I Wanted Correct Results. They Checked Her And She Was 600!!!!! You Should Have Seen The Doctors Face When She Came In To Tell Me. I Already Knew Because I Had Seen The Bs Machine And What It Said. Listen To Your "mom" Feeling-i Regret Not Listening To Mine Yrs Ago. When We Looked At Haleys Chart I Had Brought Her In Several Times Over The Yrs And The Dx'd Her With Migraines At 3,allergies At 3, Growing Pains At 3,everything But Diabetes. I Truely Do Not Think She Has Any Of These-it Was The Diabetes Coming Out. The Doctor Said If I Would Have Not Persisted In Getting Her Checked She Would Have Been In Icu On An Insulin Drip By The End Of The Week!!! Stay On The Doctor Until They Check Your Children!! Good Luck.

7. MaggieM

MaggieM Approved members

Demand a blood test

When my son was diagnosed, I had an idea it was Diabetes. My brother is a Type I and, although I didn't pick up on the mood swings, I noticed the frequent thirst and constant urination (he would urinate during the night for what seemed like 2-3 minutes 5 times a night!). When I took him to the Dr., she said no way - he didn't look sick enough! I told her to make me happy and order the blood test. She called me the next day apologizing - that I was right (boy, did I wish I wasn't!). The Dr. was blown away, his BG was 770. Luckily we caught him very early in his diagnosis - he didn't suffer any weight loss and was out of the hospital within 2 days. Turns out, my Dr. is diabetic and said she never would have suspected it in him - just because he didn't look ill.

Demand the blood work - it will tell you what is going on even if it isn't D!

MaggieM

8. A&Ds Mommy

A&Ds Mommy Approved members

When my son was diagnosed he was urinating a lot and constantly wanted something to drink. He was still in diapers then and he would soak through one in under 2 hourse. I took him to his doc, thinking it might be D, but praying it wasn't. He ended up with ketoacidosis and was in the hospital for 4 days. Luckily when I took him to the pediatrician they checked his urine there for me and said he had diabetes.

I would definitely see if you can check their urine or find someone with a meter and check their BS level. What is the docs reason for thinking they don't have D? Does she have any other explanation?

Good luck and I hope it isn't D.

9. ljv4boys

ljv4boys New Member

Hi thank you for all of the responses. I teted them both for ketones and they both had trace keytones (they are not sick) they are both going to have bloodwork done. I am praying that I am wrong and they are fine, but I would rather know. You have all been very helpful, I will post what happens. Laura

10. MLH

MLH Approved members

Go with your gut!!! If they are not taking you seriously, find a new dr! Good Luck! I wish you all of the best.:) I am sorry you even have to go down this path. But know that there is a lot of support out here for you.

MLH
    mom of AGH 9, dx'd 5, pumper and
    LMH 6 nonD

11. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

I would just run down to your local CVS or wallgreens and pick up whatever blood sugar meter is on sale and test their blood sugar 2 hours after a meal and first thing in the morning. Just to get a picture of what's happening. :)

12. hmstone12@hotmail.com

hmstone12@hotmail.com New Member

regarding questions

Hi,
    One thing to remember about type 1 diabetes is that your children would not be able to go for very long without insulin supplementation. The wearing of glasses more than likely do not have anything to do with diabetes. Usually in a type 1, the recommendation for a dilated eye exam is after 5 years of diagnosis. Very unlikely there would be any damage before that time. However, if they were having high blood sugars the vision woud be blurry. An opthamolgist shoud be able to pick that up on exam. When someone is having high blood sugars, they should not be given glasses yet because the vision will change after BS are under control. The more concerning symptoms in a child would be the constant thirst and having to go to the bathroom alot. Also, extreme hunger and weight loss can occur. One thing that you could check at home, is urine ketones. Checking them when they are very symptomatic. You can buy these over the counter. It is a quick check to see if they are spilling ketones. This happens with very high BS. However, it is possible to have high BS without ketones. If you truly have a concern, I would insist on having it checked even for your own peace of mind!!

13. cydnimom

cydnimom Approved members

urine testing

Just one caveat about ketones in the urine - any person without diabetes can have ketones in their urine and it probably happens more often than people know. Lots of people get trace ketones overnight just from not eating for 8 to 10 hours. You also get ketones if you are ill and not eating normally. You also get ketones while on a diet.

This is only my opinion - but if you are going to check urine I would buy the dual test sticks - ketodiastix (I think). They are around $10 for a bottle. Most people do not spill sugar in their urine unless their blood glucose is over 10.0 (180).

However, I hope you've been able to take your kids in to a doc by this time.

Take care,

14. Mama Belle

Mama Belle Approved members

I think this is interesting, because I (non-D) almost never run ketones. As an experiment I always test myself when sick, the only time I've ever had ketones was with a nasty dose of the stomach flu. I had influenza two weeks ago with a fever of over 103 with no ketones. Maybe it is just me, that I don't get them easily. But, I really don't think there are a ton of non-D people walking around out there running ketones. Someone should do a study on this, I would be interested to see the results.

I agree that the Ketodiastix would be better since they show both glucose and ketones.

15. TaylorF.15

TaylorF.15 New Member

My suggestion, if you want to test them yourself, is to go to the pharmacie and try and get Ketone Urine strips, i forget though if they are presciption or not, but you might still want to try. Also looks for signs of excessive thirst and urination.