- advertisement -

Hashimoto's (new diagnosis)

Discussion in 'Parents of Teens' started by mariaweber, Jan 31, 2011.

1. mariaweber

mariaweber Approved members

Sofie's just been diagnosed with Hashimoto's. Her levels are borderline, but the endo says that it's just a matter of time. I wondered if there's a correlation between the thyroid and BG variation. We've been noticing a lot of ups and downs lately -- We're going through a really rough patch again.

Any advice? I'm assuming that the Hashimoto's diagnosis is not that unusual for a type 1 child, but it seems like a lot to contend with right now. Puberty, type one, crazy BGs and now this...

Ak!!

2. emm142

emm142 Approved members

I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism in May. My TSH was 12.1, but my T4 was only a little low. The symptoms I had were crazy, though; I would never have thought I could feel so bad from being so marginally under the normal range. The good thing with hypothyroidism for me is that the everyday treatment is really, really easy and being in the right range really does help with the symptoms. The hardest thing is getting the dose of thyroxine right, especially when your thyroid is in the initial stages of dying, because sometimes there are fairly wild fluctuations in thyroid function (mine goes up and down, seemingly at random :rolleyes:).

About BGs, I think most people have lower BGs before hypothyroidism is diagnosed. My A1C was 0.8% lower before my hypothyroidism diagnosis, and I don't think I've changed much. I had some nasty lows around that time (below 2mmol/l) and I don't get so many of them now my TSH is better (2.94 right now). Overall I'd say things looked flatter back then than now, although it's obviously so variable that I can't say for certain it was because of that. I lost my appetite a lot around that time (some days I was eating <50g carbs), so that in itself would explain the lower BGs.

I was kind of sad when I got the hypothyrodism dx, because it's just another "thing", KWIM? It still annoys me a lot when I'm not on the right dose and feeling not so great, but compared to D it's like... nothing.. :)

3. uscmedmom

uscmedmom Approved members

We just had our 14 month old type one screened for thyroid levels. His dad just had a total thyroid removal for hashimoto's. they thought it was thyroid cancer originally because the mass was so large and had unusual cells. but it came back as hashimoto's. i guess that is where colton received the autoimmune genes. thats the first diagnosis of autoimmune in our family besides our son.

4. mariaweber

mariaweber Approved members

Thanks Emma. I always like to hear your take on things. :)

5. mishcoto

mishcoto Approved members

Is Hashimotos an auto-immune disease? I know once someone has an auto-immune disease/disorder the chances of getting another one go WAY up. :(

6. emm142

emm142 Approved members

It is, and Hashimoto's is incredibly prevalent in type 1s. Endos should test thyroid hormone levels every year. Hypothyroidism is also a lot more common in women than men, so especially for girls with D it's a very frequent issue (a lot of D boys have it too, though).

7. mishcoto

mishcoto Approved members

Great. Just one more thing for a parent to worry about!:( Our son has already had issues with protein in his urine, but sees a ped. nephrologist @ Childrens in Madison and is on a small dose of an ace-inhibitor and no problem anymore. Still the worry is always there. I am a worrier anyway and so of course I go into overdrive worrying having a child with type 1. I am always careful not to let him see that though. I do tell him, because he's 16, straight-out that he does have to take extra-good care of himself because he has type 1, but that is something he should do anyway!