- advertisement -

Has your child ever lost diabetic supplies/devices?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Lisa - Aidan's mom, Nov 30, 2012.

1. Lisa - Aidan's mom

Lisa - Aidan's mom Approved members

DS is 8 and just got the Dexcom CGM 10 days ago.

He's a very bright kid, but think 'absent mind professor' type.

At camp he lost a meter, but no big deal since I have so many back-ups. I'm nervous about the CGM though. So far, he's left it different classrooms, came home from his after school math program without it (school was still open and thankfully they let me pick it up) and today, he left it on the bus - thankfully our bus driver saw his name on it and gave it to the nurse.

He has several cases. I think I might order the SpiBelt, but I don't know how to stress to him that he needs to keep it on and the CGM in the case!

I'm not sure what our policy insurance states about replacing a lost CGM, I have to review the paperwork; not sure if replacement would be out of pocket.

Any other forgetful kids out there? Any suggestions would be appreciated, thank you.

2. 3kidlets

3kidlets Approved members

Hi Lisa
    Hana started on the OmniPod at 9 and she was solely responsible for it getting it to school and home, swim practice, etc. Only once in the past 2.5 years has she left it at school. Luckily, she realized it right when she got off the bus and we went down to get it.

Today, I got a call from the nurse. Hana felt low at 9:30 and went to check and there was no meter in her bag! That's a first at school. I can't find it anywhere around here. I had to bring one over to the school. I'll have her search her book bag when she gets home.

But I have to say, she has been very good about not "losing" anything. Now, if it were my 13 year old son, I would be writing a very different response right now! LOL :eek:

3. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

Splashed his first Dexcom receiver weeks after he got it. Lost his Dexcom sensor, luckily it was almost out of warranty and we just did without until Gen7. Loses meters CONSTANTLY, though we eventually do find them, in his truck, or under the bed, or something. I have 2 Nano Accuchecks for him, he invariably is using an old One Touch and I don't even have spare strips for that, just what we get free from the Dr. Left his Ping meter remote at a dance place 2 hours from home once. Cleaned out his football bag once and forgot to repack it...was at practice at 50 with not a drop of sugar on him. That was fun. (thank goodness for gatoraide and helpful parents...I was out on a run, I have LOTS of sugar in my purse/car).

He's 18 and heading to college soon. I'm kind of scared. No ideas, but lots of sympathy! I do have empathy for him, as a teenager shouldn't have to worry about things like this, but otoh...he has NEVER lost his ipod or iphone. :cool:

4. Lisa - Aidan's mom

Lisa - Aidan's mom Approved members

Nancy, amazing that he never lost the phone, right?!?
    DS knows where every teeny tiny lego piece is in the house however!

Aimee, maybe Donna was right about him loosing it :rolleyes: Good luck at CHOP.

5. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

Mine keeps it in spibelt or pants pocket

6. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Jack is 8, and would 100% lose anything that wasn't attached to him. Our CGM is integrated with the pump, but if it was not, I would make him wear it in a clear-front pump pouch. That way he never has to remove it from the pouch.