- advertisement -

Has Medtronic filed for mySentry approval with the Medtronic 530G pump?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by moco89, Mar 11, 2014.

1. moco89

moco89 Approved members

I am just curious if anyone has heard any news if Medtronic has filed for mySentry approval with the Medtronic 530G pump.

I really need the mySentry, as I sleep through the alarms. I also have autoimmune autonomic neuropathy, and I need to keep my diabetes under as much control as possible, and something that would help is hearing the alarms. Medtronic will give no warranty or technical support to 530G users using the mySentry. It's too expensive and risky of an investment to get without formal approval.

So far, the Medtronic 530G pump has been amazing. But, I have noticed that if you put the "overtape" on more tightly, on the transmitter, you get less accurate numbers.

2. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

My impression was that they do not plan to do so. I think that in recent years they view MySentry as a stepping stone to something more advanced (like the much-anticipated Dexcom G5 that will read to a smartphone), and not really a marketable device that will make them any money.

3. funnygrl

funnygrl Approved members

Medtronic seems to be treating the 523 as their pediatric pump and the 530g as their adult pump. They've always kind of treated the MySentry as a device for parents to monitor their children.

4. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

Are you getting similar accuracy to the dexcom (I think you have used the dex in the past.....)? I wonder if you could use a guardian to pick up the signal and then amplify the alarms somehow. Maybe the earthquake app that some people use? I'm pretty sure Medtronic has no plans to do anything else with the my sentry.

5. moco89

moco89 Approved members

The Dexcom never really worked for me. All I would get is ??? after 6 hours of wear, and I could never figure out why, but I think it had to do with hydration.

I have a wireless lapel mic system that I need to figure out how to get to work (I have kind of a complicated set-up.).

According to the blogs, Medtronic is seeking approval with the 530G for the mySentry, eventually (whenever that is).

Naomi
    Posted on Fri Oct 04 15:30:05 GMT 2013

Diane, we appreciate the feedback and are sorry to hear that you are frustrated. When we received approval, the MiniMed 530G with Enlite was not indicated for use with mySentry. However, we will be seeking approval of mySentry with MiniMed 530G.
    - See more at: http://www.loop-blog.com/blog/MiniMed-530G-with-Enlite-Your-Top-Questions-Answered#sthash.PKJ50C1a.dpuf

At the moment the FDA approval is only for people ages 16 and up, but Medtronic is filing for pediatric approval, as well as approval for it to be integrated with its MySentry system. - See more at: http://asweetlife.org/catherine/blogs/insulin-pumps/medronics-minimed-530g-system-with-low-glucose-suspend-fda-approved/34049/#sthash.JAaMEkhP.dpuf

Last edited: Mar 12, 2014
  6. Mom264

Mom264 Approved members

Have you considered submitting MySentry to insurance for coverage approval? MM has templates to use right on their website.
    I'm not sure if they have a product code,yet (which, IMO would make the process much easier for people seeking coverage or reimbursement for a unit already purchased), but you can submit the paperwork without the code.
    Again, it is a PITA to do this, but can make a difference.

7. moco89

moco89 Approved members

I am going to file for insurance approval, once the devices gets approved. I do not want to be accused of some sort of fraud for getting payment for a device that "doesn't work" with my equipment.