- advertisement -

Has anyone with Type 1 ever outgrown a dairy allergy after diagnosed?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Marietta Carter, Sep 27, 2011.

1. Marietta Carter

Marietta Carter New Member

My son is 13 years old and is allergic to peanuts, treenuts, and dairy. He was diagnosed with Type 1 about 6 months ago. I have been reading that there may be a connection between dairy allergy and Type 1. I kept him off of dairy from birth because my older son had a dairy allergy too (which he has since outgrown). I did not avoid dairy while pregnant or breastfeeding, so he was exposed to dairy that way. However, the only time he consumed dairy was during a challenge when he was 8. His IGE levels for milk have been steadily dropping and our allergist has been confident that he will outgrow the allergy. His skin test remains VERY positive though. The allergist did not seem as confident at the last visit (first since T1 diagnosis) and I didn't ask many questions because I didn't want to upset my son.

My question is: Is there anyone out there who has outgrown a dairy allergy after being diagnosed with Type 1?? I really would like to have some hope that my son's life will become a little bit more normal.

2. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

I recently started trying my DD on goat's milk products since they are supposed to be less reactive. But, we're noticing prolonged BG spikes afterwards, so I think she's still reactive. :confused:

3. Butterfly Betty

Butterfly Betty Approved members

After Sophie was dxed, we found out that she's allergic to cow's milk products and wheat. We've tried to limit what she has of both, but there are times when she wants ice cream, or yogurt so we let her have them.

4. Gracie'sMom

Gracie'sMom Approved members

I don't really have an answer for you, but my dd was dxd'd with a milk allergy (whey and casein) after diagnosis also. Thought she outgrew it recently but when school stress started up again it re-triggered the milk reactions somehow . . . ugh.

5. joy orz

joy orz Approved members

Ava does well with cheddar cheese (we use Sargento reduced fat... it helps with fat spikes) She also can have a yogert here and there.

She still doesn't do well with butter or things like cheetos. But yes, I'd say she's getting there. There is hope.

There is something about the enzymes in the cheddar and the yogert that make it easier to process or something. Good luck.

Her allergic reaction was eczema and allergic collitus. Because it didn't impact her breathing at all, I felt safe trying it out from time to time. We relied way more on taste and see how it goes than we did the lab numbers.

I think if I had a child with breathing issues that were triggered by allergy I wouldn't try things at home.

6. amilaine

amilaine Approved members

My daughter actually got dx with dairy allergy so I think type1 are more proned to get allergies rather than outgrow ther. :(

7. szofa12yrold

szofa12yrold Approved members

I have had a dairy allergy since infancy, I got my T1 dx at 39. With an autoimmmune component to my D and studies like have been mentioned here, I have finally ditched it for good(cow), regardless of how future tests come back. I still have some beta cell function. I don't want to put any stress on my immune system. I consumed it most of my life, just didn't drink it from a glass and semed to tolerate some forms in certain quantity over a certain amount of time and at some point would reach the limit and get symptoms. Only one time that I remember, I had breathing issues related to it. That was after avoiding for a while and having one serving of icecream. I discovered since diabetes dx 2 years ago that symptoms or not it raises my BG quite a bit and not from the carbs. I did some controlled experiments and was low-carb at the time. I also found that after avoiding it completely my nasal passages cleared up quite a bit. I hadn't relalized they were that bad and never thought about cow dairy contributing. I stayed away just for that benefit alone. Allergy testing last year showed neg. for goat dairy and after reading up and seeing that the casein is different, I tried it and have seemed to tolerate it well. I am due for re-testing in a month or so so we'll see if I am still neg, for goat.

There are alot of casein-free alternatives out there these days. However I know how it feels to not be able to share in food. Our American diet is laden with cow dairy.

8. SueM

SueM Banned

Milk protein (casein) and wheat products (gluten) are difficult proteins for many people to tolerate and process. :confused:

We should probably be looking closer as to the reasons behind this phenomenon.

9. Marietta Carter

Thanks for the responses.

Thanks everyone for your responses. Please keep me posted if any of you or your children outgrow your dairy allergy. I feel emotionally exhausted from years of my son being left out at restaurants, barbeques, birthday parties, pizza parties, etc, etc. I am quite familiar with all the "tricks" for dealing with these situations (probably could write a book myself), but nonetheless, it just gets so old. And now to have T1D on top of it - ugh. Just want life to cut my son a break.

10. szofa12yrold

szofa12yrold Approved members

You are not alone. I feel and do all that in taking care of myself. It does get old. I've got Celiac, casein allergy, soy allergy, and 20 other food allergies plus late onset T1 and type 1 latex allergy. The thing that keeps me going is that I feel SO much better for avoiding all of it. It's worth it. It is hard and I'd love a break. I think it's important to learn to focus on other things and not make food the main focus/souce of pleasure expectation. That sounds very cliche but it does help. It takes a little something to really honor the little things. It can be so easy to get distracted or focused on other things, including food and miss the real gems. I traveled to my favorite country a few years back and couldn't eat all the foods that I used to or loved, or even anything not prepared by me, but I chose to enjoy walks past the rice paddies, etc. and really stop and look and smell and feel and soak up all the non-food things I could. When life gives you lemons...and if a few tears end up in the mix, that's ok. We're all human.

Sending out support to you mom. Hang in there and keep up the good fight.

As a mom, I hope my son(13) sees/picks up the good coping skills that I do practice and not just remember me in my not so good coping moments.

11. Marietta Carter

Thanks Szofa

I agree with all you say, and we try to keep things in perspective and keep the focus off of food, but it's hard when you're 13 and most celebrations revolve around food and you really want to fit in. My son is more mature than many 13 years old, but the diagnosis of diabetes on top of the food allergies has been hard on him and I can see that he has withdrawn from his friends. We sometimes force the issue and make him go to friends' houses or have them over, and he does it to get us off his back, but what he really wants is to be alone. He didn't used to be like that. It's just hard as a parent to watch.

I hope in time he develops the same positive attitude that you have. It sure does sound like you have a lot to deal with, but I'm glad you are able to manage it all and feel better as a result.

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond to me. Best of luck to you.