advertisement

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Has anyone trained their own DAD?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MCO222, Dec 29, 2016.

1. MCO222

MCO222 Approved members

Hello, I'd like to hear from anyone who has tried to train their own DAD. What was your experience like? What kind of results did you achieve? Was all the time and effort spent worth it in the end? Any thoughts/suggestions/experiences would be appreciated, thanks!!

2. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

This issue was brought up quite some months ago, and suffice to say the responses were not positive. Even experts have a difficult time training DADs. And not every dog can become a DAD because they don't have the right temperament. Then what would you do with the dog? Give it away and get what will likely be a long line of dogs before you find one with the right temperament (if you even had the knowledge and expertise to train it?) There's a reason why these dogs cost 5 figures...

3. MCO222

MCO222 Approved members

I can understand those concerns however we were talking about adding a puppy to our family before my daughter was diagnosed a month ago. Since we are going to be getting a pup anyway I was wondering if it would be worth it to get a breed that has shown success with training as a DAD. Of course since our primary motivation is adding a pet to the family if the training doesn't work we would keep the dog. I just wanted some tips and advice for what has worked for others and what we should look for in a new pup that would give us the best chance at success

4. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

A puppy to love plus a Dexcom CGM (which you will likely grow to love) = an excellent combination!