- advertisement -

Has anyone sold a pump?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by sparkyjt, Jun 2, 2015.

1. sparkyjt

sparkyjt Approved members

Please remove/delete if this isn't allowed. I haven't been on here in a long time but we have a new, never used, Medtronic pump that I would like to sell. Has anyone done this? If so, can you tell me how you went about it?

2. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

I could be dead wrong, but I think it is illegal to re-sell an insulin pump (or anything you need a prescription to acquire, for that matter). Just my understanding, however...

Have you considered donating it to an organization that accepts diabetes supplies and re-distributes said supplies to PWD who cannot otherwise afford them?

3. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

For whatever it's worth, I found this on eBay:

Policy overview

We don't allow sellers to list any drugs or medications that require a prescription from a licensed practitioner (such as a doctor, dentist, optometrist, or veterinarian). We also don't allow the sale of most prescription medical devices.

We do allow the sale of professional medical devices to authorized buyers, as long as the seller carefully follows the requirements in our guidelines.

Most over-the-counter (OTC) items are allowed, as long as their listings don't mention or compare them to prescription drugs.Injectable substances are never allowed, even if they're available over the counter.

Some drugs that don't require a prescription are restricted in certain forms, or when they're not properly packaged, labeled, or described.

Make sure your listing follows these guidelines. If it doesn't, it may be removed, and you may be subject to a range of other actions, including limits of your buying and selling privileges and suspension of your account.

What are the guidelines?

Prescription and over-the-counter drugs

Allowed
    Most over-the-counter (OTC) products, including:
    Allergy medications that don't contain pseudoephedrine
    Antacids (see the restriction on non-prescription strength OTC medications below)
    Nicotine gums and patches
    Pain relievers
    Vitamins

Restricted
    Listings for ephedra-free products must state that the item doesn't contain any ephedra. The listing needs to include photos that show that the item is ephedra-free.
    Over-the-counter medications that contain non-prescription strengths of prescription drugs can be listed, but the concentration of the prescription drug needs to be mentioned in the listing. For example, omeprazole (a prescription drug) can be listed, as long as it's clear that it's the 20mg version.
    Flea control products (such as Program, Advantage, and Top Spot) must be sealed in their original packaging.
    Heartworm medicines for animals (such as Sentinel, Revolution, Heartgard, and Interceptor) can only contain non-prescription forms of ivermectin, and the listings must include the NADA or ANADA number.
    Descriptions of herbal and holistic remedies and other items can't compare the products to prescription drugs, imply any non-FDA-approved treatments, or be marketed as having the same results as a prescription drug.

Not allowed
    Any substance the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) defines as requiring a prescription, including:
    Allergy medicines
    Contraceptives, including implantable devices
    Ephedrine in any form or combination
    Injectable substances, including vitamins, whether for humans or animals
    Insulin in all forms, including non-prescription
    Nicotine inhalers (these require a prescription in the US)
    Pseudoephedrine in any form or combination
    Items that may not require a prescription, but are only available for sale through a licensed physician
    Products containing ephedra or ma huang
    Refer to the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) tips for buying drugs online to be sure you aren't selling or buying prescription drugs or other substances in forms we don't allow.

The FDA maintains the Orange Book: Approved Drug Products with Therapeutic Equivalence Evaluations, where you can search for prescription drugs and over-the-counter products by either brand name or active ingredient.

The FDA Center for Veterinary Medicine maintains the Green Book where you can find information about drugs for animals.

Remember, you can't list any prescription drug mentioned in the Orange Book or Green Book.

The way I see it, if you aren't allowed to sell it on eBay, it probably shouldn't be sold! :tyrannosaurus:

4. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

As it is a prescribed item, it is not allowed. I would call MM and see what they can work out with you. Or, if you are using another pump brand, see if they take trade-ins. That's what MM did with our old one.

5. Brhodes

Brhodes Approved members

There's tons of them on craigslist.

6. swellman

swellman Approved members

As well as hookers ... so ...

7. Ali

Ali Approved members

It would be dangerous to sell it as well as illegal. If you need some cash back, see if the Company will take it back as a donation and get a tax break? Not cash but might help. They might be able to refurbish and donate to a legitimate program. No idea. MM might buy it from you, try them.
    Ali

8. valerie k

valerie k Approved members

I don't know, we need the prescription to have insurance help pay or pay for the device. But could one be 0ptained through a company with just cash and no dr prescription? That should tell you if you can sell it legally or not. Of course if your insurance paid for it, probably not, however I doubt they would notice.

9. Ali

Ali Approved members

As far as I know at least in the USA you need a prescription no matter how you pay for it.
    Ali