- advertisement -

Has anyone requested a teacher for a D child?

Discussion in 'School and Daycare' started by Jake'sMama, Apr 19, 2011.

1. Jake'sMama

Jake'sMama Approved members

Has anyone put in a teacher request letter before? is there a real benefit to doing so if we already have a 504 in place?

I thought I saw samples somewhere on here before? Can someone point me the right direction?

I am not requesting a specific teacher just want to emphasize Jake's need for a well organized classroom. There is a teacher in the next grade who is notoriously disorganized, late, behind and after watching several friends struggle through her year after year, I'm thinking I can at least try to sway Jake's placement.

Our school doesn't honor letters that ask for/prohibit specific teachers.

I should point out that the principal and I have had issues and words regarding diabetes - when my son was diagnosed, I went in to talk to the staff about how it would be handled and the principal stated "We don't administer insulin." Yes it's a public school. Yes she was wrong. Yes I have some what of a battle on my hands but for the most part it has died down.

thanks in advance!

2. coldblood676

coldblood676 Approved members

When i was 15 my mother sent an email to my school asking them if would be able to be put into a class with the one diabetic teacher we had.

They asked no questions and did just that. Usually when it comes to health schools are extremely helpful and will support you with anything you need to keep yourself or your children safe and healthy.

-Luke Saunderson

3. selketine

selketine Approved members

Our school does consider requests (elementary school) so I have at times asked for an established teacher if a new one was added to the grade, etc.

We had a disorganized teacher one year and it was ok diabetes-wise but academically not so great.

You can always put in a letter to ask for Teachers X or Y as the primary homeroom teacher (our kids move around in the day among all 3 anyway) because you think your child's diabetes care and routines will benefit from their organized classrooms. I also always note that I want a teacher who isn't afraid of William's medical issues and is willing to be trained on glucagon, epi-pen, etc.

4. jbmom1b2g

jbmom1b2g Approved members

when Taylor was diagnosed I went in and asked for a certain teacher. I told her I wanted someone who I knew would pay attention to her if she went low. Next yr I dont think I am going to ask for a certain teacher but I amgoingto make sure she is not in a nut free classroom like she is this yr. The nurse s thinkning about making her room nut free.

5. Kimby

Kimby Approved members

Our principal doesn't accept requests from parents either. The school nurse impressed upon her the need for organizational skills, attention to time, etc. for good diabetic care. So, we can't request a teacher, but the nurse helps place him every year! :)