- advertisement -

Has anyone paid out of pocket for the mini-med CGMS???

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Mommaof7, Nov 5, 2007.

1. Mommaof7

Mommaof7 Approved members

I would love to have my son on this however our insurance doesn't cover anything for this pump. Has anyone or is anyone paying for this totally out of pocket? If so, I need to know total pump and monthly costs.

2. Abby-Dabby-Doo

Abby-Dabby-Doo Approved members

My suggestion is get in contact with a MM sales rep. They have a PUMP/CGMS packet. In the back of the packet is a form you fill out (financial), and MM does the rest. They go to your insurance, they tell you how much things will cost or what you would need (like a letter from your doctor for necessity). Let them do the work, they're a great help, and they do it all the time.
    Good luck!
    Mahalo! :cwds:

3. D-Dad

D-Dad Approved members

If you're not pumping and want CGMS - then Dexcom is gonna cost less out of pocket.

4. OSUMom

OSUMom Approved members

I was going to answer your question on the Minimed's CGMS, but then I reread your question and see you're talking about the pump too. You want costs for the pump and the CGMS I guess. I don't have pump costs out of pocket, but I went to a Medtronic presentation a couple of weeks ago. The CGMS is $1000 for the sensor and includes 10 sites. Each pack of 10 sites thereafter is $350. These prices do not include an insulin pump.

5. Mama2H

Mama2H Approved members

Did I read correctly that your insurance pays NOTHING for the insulin pump? To me that would be a battle worth fighting. I would go ahead and buy the stand alone but I would battle the insurance company to pay for the pump.

6. Mary Lou

Mary Lou Approved members

You might want to check on the pump expense VS the CGMS expense. We paid out of pocket to upgrade our oldest son's pump to the one that works with the CGMS, and for the CGMS itself.

At the SAME TIME, our youngest son was diagnosed and our insurance TOTALLY picked up the cost of that same pump (in a different color) for him, because he needed a pump and that's MM newest offering, so it was covered. Most insurance companies do pay for pumps, don't they? :confused:

The sensors cost $35 each, and we typically get 6 - 10 days from each sensor. We paid an "upgrade" fee which was partially refunded when we returned our older pump for our oldest son. I think the initial costs are outlined on their website, but if I remember (HA!) I think we paid $1100 initially, and now just pay for the sensors (about 4 each month)