- advertisement -

Has anyone had experience with allergy shots and D?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Lizzy731, Aug 24, 2013.

1. Lizzy731

Lizzy731 Approved members

Bethany is allergic to dog saliva and the only option is allergy shots. She is ready and willing but I'm not so willing to deal with possible blood sugar craziness. Anyone have any stories to share?

2. funnygrl

funnygrl Approved members

I've done allergy shots for several years. They don't seem to affect my bg at all, but they're a pain in the butt. I don't think I would have started if I had realized what a nuisance they are. I figured weekly visits for awhile, then monthly, and monthly would be no biggy. The problem is, if you're late, they like half the dose then you're back to weekly until you're back up to old dose. I have asthma too, and if my asthma flares, again, back down on the dose, back to weekly shots. I'm on weekly more often than not.

3. Lizzy731

Thanks for the feedback...I have to see how long she has to do the shots for.

4. lizzie

lizzie Approved members

I've been doing allergy shots for 3 years and I have never noticed that they affected my blood sugar.

5. Lizzy731

This is very promising for me thanks!!

6. kjmaf

kjmaf Approved members

My dd takes allergy shots for a fire ant allergy. We have never had any issues with it affecting her bg. She doesn't really mind the shot itself either - she says it feels like an insulin shot.

7. Lizzy731

That's great to hear! Thanks!