- advertisement -

Has anyone had behavior problems due to the Diabetes??

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Aeagle, Mar 9, 2012.

1. Aeagle

Aeagle Approved members

Our sweet little 3 year old is full of anger. She is saying she hates D and hates shots and the pump. We have never had behavior problems like this before. She is mad at the world. She went to the movies and seen a kid with some candy and said he dont have D out of no where. She is kicking and hitting all the time. We are doing everything we know to do and she still is just so anger. Her blood sugars have been very high the past mth. They have been 250 and above!! We have talked to the endo and made alot of changes to the pump but nothing is working. It will be a year for DX next tuesday on the 13th. She has never been like this before now. I dont think this is just a 3 year old. This is something much more then that!! Has anyone had this problem and if so what did u do??

2. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

If she has been steadily up in the high 200s then she probably feels lousy much of the time. :( When you say that "nothing is working" I'm not sure I understand. If she's high all the time she needs more insulin - is the endo encouraging you to make changes on your own? Or is he/she working hard to help you make the needed adjustments?

I don't think you will see a happy child until you get those numbers down. Once she's been in range for a bit, you may see a dramatic improvement in her attitude :cwds:

3. caspi

caspi Approved members

I agree with Sarah that she's probably feeling lousy because of the high #'s. It is important to get those #'s down and your endo team should be helping you more with this. As far as candy is concerned and her comment, are you restricting her from eating candy and other sweets? All foods can be consumed with D, as long as bolused for and in moderation.

I would call your endo on Monday and set up an appointment to go in and discuss all of this with them. Please let us know how she's doing. :cwds:

4. cdninct

cdninct Approved members

Agreed. My 3-year-old son is an absolute bear in the 200s. If I couldn't get him down into the mid-100s or lower, I think I would have to ship him off to a deserted island for the sake of everybody's sanity!;)

Keep working with your endo to get those numbers down. If you want some outside support, your could try posting more information about rates and BGs here and see if you get any suggestions.

Good luck!

5. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

High numbers will definitely make them feel lousy.. my daughter gets extremely grumpy with high numbers. Is there a social worker or someone she can talk to at the endo's office? Some have them on staff for this very reason. Its a big change in kids, its frustrating and she's to little to understand so talking to someone may be helpful for her.

6. Aeagle

Aeagle Approved members

The endo has made lots of changes on the pump but we are not able to get the numbers down. Today she has been 425 2.5units, 309 2.2u, 330,247,316 25carbs and 3.1 units,303,321,277,and now 307 with 1.8 units. We bolus her every two hours. I dont know what else to do for her :( We have a endo app on tuesday. She is not sick, no ketones today but high sugars. We do not give her any sugar candy b/c she goes 500 and above even if we cover it. We have to stay with all sugar free stuff for some odd reason. Thank You all for talking with me b/c I am just so mad a D right now and need to vent grrrr.

7. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

have you checked ketones at all? Sometimes they needs a LOT moreinsulin all of a sudden. Growth spurts and illness are two things that will cause a big jump in insulin needs and sometimes those needs stop as fast as they happened. You can do a temp basal to help with those highs. Temp basals are night because if you see her start coming down you can stop it to avoid a low. Or up it more if you only see a bit of improvement.

Have you tried injections.. if injections are working and the pump is not then maybe its time to call the pump company.

8. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Have you worked on her basal rates? That looks the most likely problem, judging by the numbers you posted.

9. Traci

Traci Approved members

Something is definitely wrong with her basals, the insulin, or the site. Hopefully, your endo will help you to get a correct basal set. I know that until about a year ago, my son's correction ratio was 1 unit insulin to reduce his bg by 200, and he's 10. I know every child is different, but if 2.5 units is only bringing her down to 309, maybe your insulin is bad. Also, double check your basal rates...maybe something changed that shouldn't have. I know that all probably sounds crazy, but, stranger things have happened!

But as everyone else has said, yes, her high numbers could be making her have anger issues. My mom has type 2, but has told me that at 200, she feels like she could strangle someone at times. She said she feels very angry and easily frustrated. I can't imagine what being 200 feels like to a tiny body!

Hope you get some help to resolve those numbers.

10. cdninct

cdninct Approved members

Once again, agreed. The numbers are enviably consistent--they are just too high! It looks like she just needs a lot more insulin than she is getting.

It seems like you are checking more than often enough to catch a low if one comes, so why not just up the basal rates and see what happens? If you don't want to do it around the clock, then pick a "safe" and convenient period of time at some point during the day (the morning, perhaps?) and just raise the basals for a few hours.

Good luck!

11. Jake's mom in NC

Jake's mom in NC Approved members

Talk to your doctor about changing her insulin. My son was having high blood sugars even though I almost doubled his doses. We went from humalog to novolog and have had much better results.

12. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

To answer you question directly, YES, behavior issues can be caused by high blood sugars. I imagine she feels miserable right now, I'd be grumpy too.

I have an older child but I can tell you he is MEAN when he's high. Rage would be a better word actually, he's just plain angry when high.

Everyone has given you good advice, get the sugars down and you'll see some changes in behavior I bet. From what you are posting I think an across the board basal change is warranted. We recently had to change every single basal setting, it was kind of scary but it worked beautifully.

Do you have specific basal settings for differing times of day? For example my son needs double the amount at 2a compared to 2p. Sometimes it's easy to get settled into a pattern and not realize that, for example, they are having a night time surge of cortisol and waking up high. For my son (again, a teen, so different physiology) if he wakes up high he fights highs all day long. Night time basal patterns are key to a good day for him. Once he's high he's very insulin resistant. Wake up in range and all day long corrections are simpler.

Your daughter may simply be going through a growth spurt right now. Could have an underlying illness that she's fighting but not showing symptoms for. Etc.
    Good luck.

13. MamaLibby

MamaLibby Approved members

I agree with what many people have posted. My daughter is a grumpy, emotional, angry bear when she's over 200.
    Another insulin you could try is Apidra...We haven't tried it, but it's said to work faster that novolog. It definitively sounds like a basal problem.
    Growth spurts can dramatically change insulin needs. My daughter (age 10, dx at 2), has been going through several big pre-puberty growth spurts and her insulin needs have almost doubled across the board in the last 4-6 months!
    Could you post a day or a few hours worth of #s with carbs eaten/covered and basal rates? Maybe we could help you see just where the problem lies.
    Hang in there! I know it's frustrating.

14. Connor's Mom

Connor's Mom Approved members

We can tell how Connor's BG is by his behavior. The more argumentative and eager to pick a fight he is, the higher his BG is. He will fight, say the meanest things and refuse to test then once it starts to come down he is all cuddly and sorry if he hurt anyone's feelings. He doesn't always remembercwhat he said or did but, he knows it wasn't nice. He is 10 and we are working hard to control this symptom. I don't know if it can be controlled but, I want him to recognize the need to test if he is feeling exceptionally agitated.

15. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Just so you are aware, sugar-free candy usually has as many or more carbs as does "sugar candy."

16. TheLegoRef

TheLegoRef Approved members

If she's that high, then this probably isn't the reason, but it could be. Our DS was having trouble with his numbers (almost consistently high 200's). It was suggested to change from quick-sets to silhouettes. That immediately brought his numbers back into range. We'd gone about a month of high numbers, site change after site change, nothing changing. The first time we tried a silhouette it changed. I've heard the opposite too. Silhouette troubles to quick-set good numbers.

Also, have you tried a syringe to make sure it's not the pump/site? Any time we have 2 numbers over 300 in a row, our endo suggests using a syringe to bring down the bg, so we know it worked.

17. lynn

lynn Approved members

I'm sure that the high numbers would make the most mild mannered of us want to bite somebody's head off!

Aside from that though, we have gone through times when Nathan just HATED diabetes. I would guess that a three-year-old who is coming up on a year after diagnosis might just be sick of it. She knows that it isn't going away and she can still remember life without the hassles of diabetes. I remember a particular period of time when he was CRABBY! Everything was bad and it was all because he had diabetes. We started a new rule; he could gripe about diabetes, BUT we had to come up with a good thing that had come into his life BECAUSE of diabetes. It was tough at times, and oftentimes the "good things" were silly---wanting Coke for his next middle-of-the-night low and then spitting it in my face when he tasted it, jumping on the trampoline or riding his bike as a sort of medicine to help his blood sugar come down more quickly, having candy as "medicine", you get the idea. We also came up with some things that are not silly; not afraid of shots so you can impress even adults with your bravery, learning numbers and math at a much younger age, etc. We also began a reward system for site changes. Nathan was terrible about cooperating nicely when it was time to change his site. So, I went to the dollar store and bought a bunch of junk and wrapped it up and put it in a basket. Each time he let me do the site change without stalling or moving or arguing he could choose a "pump prize". That only lasted a few months and it sort of petered out because he didn't need the boost anymore.

Diabetes is hard! And three-year-olds just don't have the maturity to voice, or even understand, their feelings. I don't think it's odd that she is taking such big feelings and letting them out as anger.

I don't know if I've helped at all. I hope you find a way to help her to feel better, both physically and emotionally.

18. MommytoCsquared

MommytoCsquared Approved members

Hello,

My son is not on the pump (yet, in 3 weeks :))but he IS currently 3. When he is running high, he is very cranky and really loves screaming.

About a month ago we had to drastically up insulin amounts, both novalog and lantus, due to what our endo figured was most likely a growth spurt. We are more than likely out of the growth spurt (for now) as we are battling a lot of lows, so our insulin amounts are coming down. I would talk to your endo about growth spurts and upping the insulin, becuase minus the use of the pump, your story seems very similar to our household a month or so back...good luck!

19. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Just checking in to see if you had any luck today getting her #s down? Or if we can help with that. ;) Let us know.

20. mmc51264

mmc51264 Approved members

My son was really bad when he was that age with highs.

We changed, too and it helped. Ironically, now that he is older, the lows cause more trouble than the highs. He doesn't seem to tolerate being much lower than 80.

One day we will figure this out!