- advertisement -

Has anyone gotten SSI just for diabetes?

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by curediabetes14, Oct 6, 2009.

1. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Well, I think the underlying theory is the same for minors as it is for adults. For adults, SSI is (generally speaking) for very poor people who are so disabled that are unable to work. For children, I think you apply that to a child's life. Are they unable to function "normally" as a child. The SSA defines "normally" broadly (and they do not use "normally" as a term of art - that's my word), and since the vast majority of our kids are truly able to live normal lives, they are not disabled for purposes of SSI.

SSDI is different in that you must have earned enough work credits to be eligible for Social Security, and your eligibility is not tied to income. I don't know if children can qualify for SSDI or not, but if they can, I suspect the standards for disability as defined by the SSA is the same as for SSI.

2. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

Ah, two different programs.

3. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

I think you've missed the point of the article. Yes, of course, SSI is designed to give financial aid a family providing care to a sick child. That's obvious. But the article is talking about how in the Welfare "circle" it's a know way to get extra money - dr's and parents are pushing for dx's for their kids, which may or may not exist, and then pushing to medicate the kids so they can get SSI.

Yes, it's meant to provide income - somewhere in the article it stated that it was meant to help parents of seriously disabled kids, they quoted cerebal palsy, blindness etc - where the parents may not be able to work because they are home caring for a sick child. The article talks about the history of how the changes came about making it more likely that children with ADHD are now covered. It was the introduction of disorders like ADHD that have led to the abuse of the system.

Certainly if you think your child needs the coverage that SSI provides and if your family income is of a level that you qualify, then I see no reason not to - you'll get coverage under medicaid and that's helpful for a lot of families. My linking of that article was simply and aid to someone who asked what the SSI program is for. I also linked to the factual SSI page. I linked to that article as a means to provide an alternative viewpoint of what SSI is becoming in our society.

4. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

You know what, I think I misunderstood you when I quoted you. I got the point but I thought you were saying it wasn't meant to be an income aid. But what you said (When I just went back and re read it) Was that some people are simply using it as an income aid. My bad:eek::cwds:

5. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

gotcha. my statement could have been a bit clearer. People are fudging the system and treating it as another form of welfare.

6. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Approved members

Whose to say how many of them aren?t medicating those kids at all. Most ADHD drugs have a well recognized potential for misuse and a lot of street value. (for the most part it?s adderall xr or sr being abused by college/university students ) its acknowledged by the ministry of health in Ontario that some parents might be motive to get an rx for adhd meds for their child with no intent of actually giving the child the med and there is no program like the one being described in this thread.

Just pointing out that in some cases there might be double motivation

7. Bigbluefrog

Bigbluefrog Approved members

SSI and DSI are different, the first is finacial based and you can't have more than $2000 in your bank. And there are limits to what you can earn annually.

The second is disability related and you can have some funds, but must be completely unable to work.

Both are difficult to receive, and most are declined and have to appeal.
    Sometimes up to 3 times. A lawyer is sometimes needed to get it.

I have a relative currently trying to get aid and he is on his appeal phase.

For dsi he had to have a physical, psych, and counseling.
    And he did not get it.

8. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

The thing is that there are so many people that know the systems, they know how to get in, get what they want and screw the system over, and then there are those that actually NEED the help of these systems, the people that these systems were designed for, and they can't get what they need because there are people out there taking advantage of it all to get as much as they want when they really don't need it. Makes me so angry.

9. hmmmcormick

hmmmcormick Approved members

In Iowa, SSI for a minor is dependent on the parents' income. It does not matter how severely disable the minor is. Morgan can not qualify for SSI as a minor. When he turns 18 yrs. he will qualify because he will be an adult who is not able to be employed. He will not be allowed to have more than $2,000 in savings at any given time. So, as an adult it is dependent on their ability to work themselves.

10. hawkeyegirl

I believe this is true everywhere. The parents' income must be below a certain point, and then the child's disability is investigated to determine if it is "severe enough."

11. MamaBear

MamaBear Approved members

This is what makes me mad. We have been denied SSI twice for my son. I am unable to walk or drive and on crutches now, but don't know if I could get it for myself, nevermind that I've paid into the system for 20 some years. We have very low income and NEED this. BUT oh well. In my 10 years as a divorced mom I have found ways to make it, all of which are legal and I'll continue to make it somehow.
    But what urks me about people working the system, besides that they are working the system and taking what others reallly need, well it's urking me on a personal level too. I have a neighbor, a part time neighbor, she lives on the block in a family home for 3 months, then moves across town to another county for 3 months, then back here. Why? Because with two addresses she is collecting benefits in two different counties. She gets food stamps and cash aide and insurance for her and her gaggle of kids in two different counties, which must be illegal. She also gets child support. And I'm not sure about this state, but the other states I have lived in, you are not elligible for benefits if you get child support. I would have to assume this state is no different. She also gets Native American Tribal benefits/settlement. I have cashed her checks before while working at a cash checking place for people who do not have bank accounts. Now I don't get any of these benefits from the state, and have never seen a penny of child support, and this woman who is raping the system asks me for money at the first of the month,every month, like clockwork. I'd love to know how she can receive all of these benefits, and still need money from other people?

12. BrokenPancreas

BrokenPancreas Banned

Hmmm

Ever meet someone who tells you their whole life story to you the second you meet them?

Well, I did.. a girl in L's class.

The mom said she has MS and (I think) Lupus and can't work.

She's on disability, and she gets disability for her daughter as well.

Her daughter has no illness at all.

She told me that she uses both amounts just to make ends meet.

So, if the parent is disabled, they can get money for the child, yet if a child is disabled <I know our kids aren't disabled, yet they are covered under the Disabilty act> they can't get any money?

Very confusing.

13. madde

madde Approved members

I'm sure a lot of us could get "SSI" for being depressed about our childrens' diabetes!

14. hawkeyegirl

Yep, that's basically the size of it. If the SSA declares you disabled, and you have children, you will receive children's benefits too. The theory is that if you are disabled and have children, not only can you not provide for yourself, but you're unable to provide for them too.

If you're not disabled and your child is, theoretically you can provide for them. If you need help with their medical expenses, there are other government programs for that.

15. T1D Son

T1D Son New Member

I understand and respect your point of view......

Last edited: Feb 7, 2011
  16. denise3099

denise3099 Approved members

There seems to be a little confusion here about the difference between "Disability" and SSI. The Social Security Adminstration adminsters 2 separate and distinct programs. One is "Disability" which is really an insurance program for workers. It covers disability, retirement, and death (OASDI-old age, survivors, disability insurance). The money comes from the social security trust fund. It's basically from federal taxes. You qualify if you are disabled and are insured through your, your parents for minors, or your spouses work history.

The other is SSI. I stands for suppelemental security income. It is a welfare program for disabled ppl and you need to qualify based on both disability and low income. This comes straight from federal tax money. Non-disabled welfare money comes from the state. You just need to be poor for that.

My point is that you don't always know what program ppl are actually qualifying for based on their situation. The ppl themselves don't even know half the time. Ppl get SSA and SSI confused all the time. If you have a work history that qualifies you for SSA disability b/c you the parent are disabled, your child gets a benefit too. This is almost like unemployment insurance for be disabled and you have paid into it for years. And the rules are totally different. What is described above is not in any way fraud and is totally common.

Ppl just get their programs confused and use the term Disability to mean any gov't program. Best to just nod and smile vaguely.

17. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I'm having a hard time understanding this post. But then, I have a hard time understanding why anyone would need SSI for a D kid. Needing insurance? That I understand. Needing emergency financial assistance? That I understand. But believing that because a child has Type 1 a family should receive an ongoing income subsidy? No, that I just don't understand.

18. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Did you consider the impact that this could have on your son's emotional health, and the way he percieves himself and his diabetes?