- advertisement -

Has anyone dropped a Medtronic Paradigm in the water?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by kiwiliz, Dec 23, 2010.

1. kiwiliz

kiwiliz Approved members

I was just speaking with someone who said that the Medtronic Paradigm has a waterproofing rating that allows submersing it to 1 metre for 30 minutes. I know they won't guarantee waterproofing because of the possible little hairline cracks (probably from overtightening seals like the Navigator) but just wondered if anyone has any real-life experience of falling in the water with one.

2. miss_behave

miss_behave Approved members

I don't have personal experience but I know that originally MM called their pumps waterproof just like the others, but later retracted that. Their pumps haven't changed, its just that they realised that they would have to replace pumps all the time if they had cracks in them. I believe that MM pumps are as "waterproof" as any other, it was simply a liability decision on their part. I know of people who swam with their MM pumps before the waterproof rating was retracted. I wouldn't take the risk now though, on the chance that my pump wouldn't be replaced in the event it became water damaged.

3. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

They state right on the website that they will replace pumps for water damage.

Jack's pump spent at least a half hour at the bottom of a waterpark pool. (Don't ask!) It was humming along just fine when we finally found it. I, on the other hand, almost didn't make it!

4. mom2ejca

mom2ejca Approved members

Our pump survived clamming in murky Chesapeake Bay water:). We started out wading in shallow water, and everyone was having so much fun that no one gave the pump any thought as we moved out into deeper water.

It wasn't until we were walking back to the campground that I realized the pump had been submerged for at least 30 minutes and probably closer to an hour :eek:. I'm pretty certain my heart stopped beating and dropped into my stomach as I was pulling the pump out to check it. Fortunately it was fine:D.

5. tiffanie1717

tiffanie1717 Approved members

We've had 2 die from pool water. One survived a bath. :) They were good about replacing all of them with no problems! One thing I learned is to always have their basals and bolus ratios and sensitivity information written down. That was the worst part!

6. HERMSman

HERMSman Approved members

I especially second this, one of the scariest moment in pumping was changing from the 722 to Revel. I had never setup a pump by myself. I had the on-line walk-thru tutorial but was still very nervous. Write it down and keep it safe but accessible.

7. GAmom

GAmom Approved members

Dd's pump survived at least one fall in the toilet....:rolleyes:

8. sarahconnormom

sarahconnormom Approved members

Connor's MM pump has taken quite a few unplanned dips into the tub and pool and once in the lake. He's so used to wearing it he just forgets to take it off sometimes. We've had to have his pump replaced once in the almost 3 years he's had it and it had nothing to do with water. It was a button error.

9. NeurosurgeryNP

NeurosurgeryNP Approved members

I have never swam with my MM, but have been in the pouring rain with it without effect.

Friend of mine routinely forgets to take off her MM before jumping into her pool without any issues. Wouldn't obviously recommend it though.

10. kiwiliz

kiwiliz Approved members

Thank you everyone. I won't be so petrified about it getting wet now but will try and keep it dry.:D Merry Christmas.