- advertisement -

has anybody made a complaint about hospital?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by MySweethearts, Oct 14, 2009.

1. MySweethearts

MySweethearts Approved members

I don't know what has happened here recently to the hospital my son goes to for his endo appts. but they have really gone downhill w/their bedside manner. I don't know if it is a lost cause and just put up w/it or let them know what I am thinking. This is a huge hospital. I am very disappointed w/ them right now :(

Last edited: Oct 15, 2009
  2. sam1nat2

sam1nat2 Approved members

can you switch?
    We switched and are very happy with the new dr. At first we were hesitant because the place we started off at had an excellent reputation, however it just wasn't a good fit for us

3. deafmack

deafmack Approved members

I am sorry this is happening. Does the hospital have a patient representative that you can discuss this with to see if this problem can be resolved? Being Deaf I use the patient representative a lot to solve conflicts and problems. Believe me it has helped.
    The other solution is to change endos and places, but at the same time, I would let them know how bad their bedside manner has become. Maybe no one is saying anything and they need to be told.

4. miss_behave

miss_behave Approved members

Yes, my mums made a complaint before when I was much younger. The nurse in question treated me much better after that :)

5. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

Yes, I have. They changed their protocol from the emergency room to the pedi floor and everything inbetween when I made the complaint (they were also well aware of what happened since the hospital lawyer came to see me).. I had a few meetings with them, and they continue to keep me updated on their changes and training.

look the hospital up online and search the department.. start w/ the head of the department, if they're part of the problem go straight up the chain to administration.

6. MySweethearts

Thank you all so much! The suggestions you all gave me were great :) It isn't the endo (we rarly see her, just every other visit) but the nurse and dietictian. I guess you second guess yourself when you are laughed at and told "we have thousands of patients" :mad: Naw.....really:mad: this only one of my many complaints....ugh!

7. ADHDiabetic Mom

ADHDiabetic Mom Approved members

When I read your post's title, the FIRST THING I did was look to see if you were in Dallas. You didn't mention the hospital, but as a Dallasite myself, I have a pretty good idea EXACTLY what/who you are talking about.

While we have had an overall good experience, I have also been VERY frustrated lately when I've tried to get help several times and have run up against the attitude, "We just have too many patients to do it any better."

In my mind, that doesn't mean you should lower your patient care standards. It means you should hire someone (or two or three...) who can handle the additional workload and provide NEEDED services. (And if they can't find anyone, hey -- I'm still desperate for a job....)

And it's not like we can go elsewhere. The only endocrinologists who will even accept T1D patients under the age of 18 are all at the same place.

8. gboysmom

gboysmom Approved members

Can I ask which hospital you guys go to? We're over in Fort Wort and LOVE Cooks. Was just curious...I'm sorry you've had to deal with less than friendly staff. Really, when you think about it...FW is just a stones throw away from Dallas! :cwds:

9. Danielle2008

Danielle2008 Approved members

I would call and make a complaint. They need to hear this to be able to work on it.

If all else fails, I too, would look for a new Endo.

In all honesty, I know the place I go to has a great reputation, but I do sometimes consider leaving for a few different reasons. I know of a good Endo locally, but am not ready to make that change yet.

10. MySweethearts

I am so shocked by your post! Yes, we are talking about the same place and it has been just recently. :mad: I am so sorry you have had to deal w/it as well.

11. kim5798

kim5798 Approved members

My advice if you are unhappy is to write a letter, not a phone call. The endocrinologist may have no idea that the staff is acting unprofessionally. The first year my daughter was diagnosed I had an issue with our team, specifically regarding call back times. When I complained to the staff member about the tardy reply, I was basically told maybe I should have my hmo refer me elsewhere. Needless to say....I got on the phone to my insurance company, wrote a letter directly to the endo....asking if this was the level of care I should expect? and were they really discriminating based on what insurance plan I carried? Needless to say, the problem was remedied. After the endo received the letter( I sent a fax, and a certified letter) I received a phone call from the endo himself, wherein he gave me his home phone number and said if I EVER received that treatment again in the future, he wanted to know about it. I sent a copy of the letter to my pediatrician....he told me he never wants to get a letter from me written about him!

My husband summed it up when he said that a lot of times, the management(of any type of business) has NO IDEA what the workers in the company are doing/saying to the customers. My endo was pleased that I made him aware that it was taking unreasonable amounts of time to return calls, so that the situation could be remedied.

kim