- advertisement -

Hand Sanitizer

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by TimO, Sep 12, 2009.

1. TimO

TimO Approved members

Can anyone tell me if antibacterial hand sanitizer affects blood glucose readings? Our doctor has never talked about it and I want to know if I can use this prior to a finger poke rather than constant and hand washing in school. Bought GermX today and would like to use that.

2. funnygrl

funnygrl Approved members

As long as it dries completely before testing, you should be okay, but plain soap and water is still preferable.

3. Mikker

Mikker Approved members

That's a good question. All we can say is that we've been using it regularly for the past 4-5 months and we have not noticed and variances in bg tests. Considering that the main ingredient is alcohol, and dries quickly. It would seem to make sense that once it is completely dry, it shouldn't produce and more various than an alcohol swab might make.

Again, nothing concrete from or end, but appears to make no noticeable variation.

4. hdm42

hdm42 Approved members

we were told by the endo and cde that hand washing with soap & water is the best, but if we have no other option the hand sanitizer or alcohol wipes are ok as long as we make sure the fingers are completely dry. If the alcohol on is still wet on the fingers it can throw the test off.

5. juliesmom

juliesmom Approved members

When we had our pump trainer over for the saline start (she has been T1 for 30+ years) she saw Julie use an alcohol wipe and said that its not a good idea, that there have been studies that have shown it effects the BG test and that over long periods of time that people who have used alcohol wipes have a greater tendency for nerve damage (she used a different word, I don't remember it and if I did I wouldn't know how to spell it). We still use them for on the road and at night checks.

6. deafmack

deafmack Approved members

I think she meant neuropathy. But I had a friend who use alchohol wipes all the time and his fingers became all cracked, dry and sore. Also he used the same finger all the time and after a while it looked like he had a wart but it was a callous. He learned to rotate fingers very quickly.

7. juliesmom

juliesmom Approved members

I think she meant neuropathy.

Yep thats what it was!