- advertisement -

Halloween candy exchange - does anyone else think this is wrong?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by caspi, Oct 31, 2013.

1. Brenda

Brenda Junior Member

Nancy, I think that many kids like to compete to see who can collect the most. You can't always choose what you are getting so you may end up with a bunch of candy items you will never eat. I called several local hospitals one year to see if i could donate some of the candy to any children. Never had any children (well, babies did not count). It was probably when our son was an infant and I could not just hop in the car to drive to Children's (45 min. away) with two small children. I think I considered homes for the elderly, but was told that there were so many dietary restrictions it wasn't worth it. We would try to consolidate what the kids got (Tim, now 19, was never into the whole Trick or Treating thing so got very little) and share, trying to avoid binges by any of the kids. I think I may have used some items for low blood sugars. Just don't remember any more now that all our kids are older.

As an aside, it was interesting to learn from our middle child, who lives in Manhattan for her job, that kids in that area go trick or treating in the stores along the streets. Never heard of such a thing having been raised in, and still living in, the suburbs.

2. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

It's lots if fun!! Agreed. I let my kids keep theirs, so just can't relate to taking it away. Just always seemed rude to me to accept items you know someone intended for the kids then taking it away. Just not the message I want to send my kids.

There are lots of ways to have fun with this holiday without massing bags and bagS of candy. If you have no intention of allowing the candy, just suggesting perhaps not getting so much of it. I have hosted many a party, serving bloody finger cookies, brain jello, pumpkins vomiting Dip, LOL. Kids had lots of fun. They got a limited amount of candy then had lot of silly fun.

Just an opinion.

3. manda81

manda81 Approved members

Maybe I'm crazy, but if I don't like something, I just don't do it. *shrug* I have way too many other things to worry about than what the JDRF is doing with Halloween or candy. I don't think it's insulting to me, because I personally know my son can eat whatever he wants. I don't really care what anyone else thinks of us/him/diabetes.

We go trick or treating, we get tons of candy. We don't use it to treat lows, we use glucose tabs for that, we just eat candy. And when we are tired of eating candy, my husband takes the rest to his office, and they eat all of it.

4. Catiesmom

Catiesmom Approved members

We participated in this candy exchange every year we could to get the gift card. We went through all the candy, exchanged the junky stuff (were gonna throw it away whether we were diabetic or not), kept the good stuff and got the gift card.

This year she is too old for the gift card so the junky candy is going to the troops in afghanistan and we keep the good stuff.

The program made her feel special for being diabetic, not left out. It all depends on how the parents present it.

Catie, now 13, dx at 8, living in PA
    dx 6/19/09, Animas Ping 9/28/10, Dexcom 10/14/11, Omnipod 6/11/12

5. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Why would troops in Afghanistan want junky candy? Seems like a long way to ship junk

6. swellman

swellman Approved members

I will re-quote for your benefit.

7. Lee

Lee Approved members

And that is MY opinion. I do feel that is what they are promoting. ETA - not on purpose, I do not think it is the intent of the exchange, but yes - there are many people who will make that connection based on the JDRF logo.

8. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

This is our first year post diagnosis and my daughter was initially worried about collecting all the candy, but then I printed out the JDRF .pdf with all the candy counts and she was happy as a clam again. I think she was just worried about the unknown. She got to pick two pieces to put in her lunch this morning and we referenced the chart and added the carbs to her lunch totals. So kudos to JDRF for doing that; it made my daughter feel more confident.

We've never done the buyback/donate thing even though the dentist does it; and I got an email today about someone collecting for the troops. I'm sure I'll have four more emails by noon. I guess the kids just eat what they want (and hubby and I eat what we want) and then either it's gone or forgotten about.

Now, as an aside, I have to say this about Halloween. If you want to boost your own ego and feel like Santa Claus - give away the full size candy bars. This was the first year when we could have a parent home the entire time, so I went out to Costco and bought the full size bars. I always end up letting all the kids take two or three of the fun size ones anyway so it's practically the same amount of candy, and I thought what the heck? You should have seen the kids' eyes light up - every single one of them (age 2 to 17). They loved it and I loved it! I wouldn't do it if we had to leave the bowl on the porch for any period of time, but if someone will be home, it's full size or bust for this house! Diabetes be damned!

9. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

LOL, there was chatter from all the kids saying "did you know the Smiths are giving out full sized candy bars???" "Quick we have to go there before they run out!" We gave out microwave popcorn and that was a hit with the older kids.

My kids took the full sized bars today in their lunch boxes. Yep, diabetes, you suck, and yes my kid is going to enjoy that candy bar today.

10. swellman

They hand it out to Afghani children who, almost never, get candy. The children love it and it goes a long way towards relations.

Source: Marine sniper friend of family.

11. missmakaliasmomma

missmakaliasmomma Approved members

I dont really get what the problem is... no kid should be eating all that candy anyway, D or not. I'd much rather my daughter get a gift card. This year we did the "switch witch" thing. She loved her present and we are going to toysrus to pick out another...I definitely agree with what manda81 said too. If you dont like it, dont do it.

12. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

It is astounding to me how many people are missing the point, lol. I'm not talking about the folks who don't agree. I'm talking about the people who just don't appear to get it. I give up for the day.

13. swellman

If our local JDRF sponsored a candy swap for a gift card I'm pretty sure my kid would have taken advantage of it so ... there's that.

14. missmakaliasmomma

missmakaliasmomma Approved members

Parents ( of both D and non D kids) are most likely stressing because of things like cavities, belly aches, just too much candy in general. We all know too much candy isn't good for anyone. It adds to obesity and other health problems. My daughter barely eats candy, even on Halloween. It doesn't bother me, it's not good for any kid. I'd much rather her do other things than stuff her face with candy. That being said, I find candy pretty easy to bolus for and halloween is not what worries me, parties do. Parties with pizza, cupcakes, those kinds of things. I find those much harder to deal with. As far as halloween though, I don't find eating all of that candy all that necessary

15. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

To the point, notwithstanding I think any trade is weird...yes, I think JDRF doing this sends every wrong message. So are we promoting T1 folks can live normally or aren't we?? Dentists doing this makes sense. JDRF...not so much. Plus where is the "R" in that (though I do know research isn't the only mission). Education is crucial. This is not helping.

16. momof1CWDinohio

momof1CWDinohio Approved members

I may be in the minority here, but I think the JDRF doing a candy swap is a wonderful thing. Just because we can give insulin to cover every carb our children eat does not mean we should feed them junk all the time.

We always use candy for lows and occasional dessert, but our kids seem to end up with much more Halloween candy than we need. We pay our kids a nickel for each piece of Halloween candy they turn in. The only reason we don't go to the JDRF candy swap is that the office is 40 mins away. Our sons' school and dentist collect candy, so we usually do that.

I think the JDRF doing the swap promotes healthy eating and making good choices. They are not saying that candy causes T1D!

17. caspi

caspi Approved members

NO ONE is saying we should feed our kids junk all the time. I honestly don't know why things have to always be taken to the extreme. :( It's Halloween, a day that revolves around candy.

While I think we can ALL agree that the JDRF isn't saying that candy causes T1D, by promoting a candy swap it is sending the wrong message to the general public that candy is bad and T1D's shouldn't eat candy.

As I said in my first post about this, we deal with enough stereotypes and this isn't helping that.

18. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

So what's the deal here? Do people no longer actually read the thread they are posting on?