- advertisement -

H1N1/ still on the fence

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by fredntan2, Oct 13, 2009.

1. fredntan2

fredntan2 Approved members

I had thought we wouldn't get the vaccine.

so I've been looking at the info again.

But I'd like to remind everyone to get your info from reliable site.
    make sure the info you are reading/believing is true
    there is a lot of misinformation out there.

I do know that if mine starts with the symptoms we will be getting tamiflu
    with antinausea medicine.

2. madde

madde Approved members

I understand what your saying. It is really hard for me to make up my mind too. I'm currently leaning towards a no. I've started us on vitamans a d & e, probiotics, and zinc to build up our immune system.

I just don't know..........

3. Mom2rh

Mom2rh Approved members

Our endo didn't recommend it. But I think both boys (starting with Ryan) have had it anyway.

4. Brideyful

Brideyful Approved members

I had been asking our Dr.'s about the H1N1 vac and none of our 3 drs. recommended the kids getting it in fact they said we would be better off taking the risk. Both kids got reg. flu shot last month. Guess we're about to find out on the Swine flu though...youngest went to ER last night with 104.7 temp and has H1N1...Boo. So far seems like a reg flu, she had some loose stool last night, and runny nose and high fever, no vomiting and she is staying hydrated. If dx'd son gets it I'll keep you posted.

5. skyleysmom

skyleysmom Approved members

Some information that I cut and pasted from a poster on another support group

These are not my words, I cut and pasted this from another support group that I am a part of but I thought it was good food for thought.

I got my information from the CDC which had this to say:

People with diabetes are about three times more likely to die with flu and pneumonia than people without diabetes. That means that each year, 10,000 to 30,000 people with diabetes die with complications of the flu and pneumonia. During flu epidemics, people with diabetes are six times more likely to be hospitalized than people without diabetes, and their death rates may increase 5 to 15 percent. This risk is particularly high when additional risk factors such as cardiovascular disease and kidney disease are present.
    A pneumococcal shot and an annual flu shot could prevent complications and death associated with pneumonia and the flu. Yet about half of adults with diabetes do not get a simple, safe flu shot and only one third of adults with diabetes are immunized against pneumococcal pneumonia. Worse yet, pneumococcal disease has become more resistant to penicillin and other drugs, making treatment more difficult. Aggressive efforts need to be taken to increase influenza and pneumococcal immunization levels among people with diabetes to decrease the number of preventable flu and pneumonia-related deaths.
    Typically, physician-regulated diabetes care emphasizes aggressive control of the disease to retard the onset and progression of long-term complications affecting the eyes, kidneys, and cardiovascular and nervous systems. Concentration may be only on diabetes itself, and not on the overall health of the patient. As a result, we may overlook general preventive measures, such as flu and pneumonia shots, that we would recommend to our patients without diabetes.
    CDC is launching a national awareness campaign this fall to encourage people with diabetes to get a flu shot before flu season and to talk to their doctor about getting a pneumococcal vaccination. Flu season is generally November through March, and the pneumococcal vaccine can be given to people with diabetes at the same time as a flu shot.
    You can help by including influenza and pneumonia vaccinations as part of a regular diabetes management program. Some of the ways you can incorporate this care into your practice include:
    ? Recommending flu and pneumonia shots to patients with diabetes when they come for routine care, especially this flu season.
    ? Considering instituting standing orders to make the immunizations a routine part of the health care regimen for patients with diabetes.
    ? Educating patients about how to obtain reimbursement for vaccination. ? Educating patients about how simple, safe and effective the flu and pneumonia shots are, and how dangerous the flu and pneumonia are for people with diabetes. Please encourage your patients to be vaccinated to protect themselves from these preventable risks and take control of their diabetes.

I decided to look up where they got this information. Many studies suggest that older (mostly type 2) diabetic patients do less well when they get the flu at least partly because they have less robust cardiovascular (heart and lungs) systems and the flu affects your capacity to breathe and therefore to get oxygen to your tissues. Cardiovascular problems (high blood pressure, cardiac arhythmias, high cholesterol etc) are much more common in diabetic patients than in other people. However these problems mostly show up in older type 1 and type 2 diabetics and not in children. Having said this, our non-diabetic son just got the flu and he spent a fairly miserable night with high fever, vomiting and not eating. I can see how this could be very scary in a diabetic kid. (We started him on tamiflu within a couple of hours of the first symptoms and he got better by the next day and so far nobody else has gotten it).

6. skyleysmom

skyleysmom Approved members

He also had this to say;

This might be useful for people to think about. China began its swine
    > flu vaccinations on Sept. 21, the first country to do so. Of the first
    > 39,000 Chinese to get shots, only four had side effects, muscle cramps
    > and headaches. The H1N1 flu vaccine is made the same way as the
    > standard flu vaccine. The only serious complication that has ever been
    > reported for flu vaccine was reported for a vaccine made in 1976 using
    > a slightly different approach. In that vaccination drive between 1 in
    > 100,000 and 1 in 1 million (1,000,000) children got Guillain Barre
    > syndrome. Guillain Barre syndrome is serious but typically not deadly
    > and has not been found to be associated with flu vaccinations since.
    >
    > On the other hand each year between 10,000 and 30,000 people with
    > diabetes die from influenza. In fact your chance of dying if you get
    > influenza is about 3 times higher if you are either a type1 or a type2
    > diabetic. So far 43,771 cases of H1N1 have been verified in the US (as
    > of July 24th...counts were discontinued after this) which has resulted
    > in 5011 hospitalizations (about 11%) and 302 deaths. So even if you
    > don't have diabetes you have a 10% chance of ending up in the hospital
    > and a 0.75% chance of dying. So if you have diabetes your chance of
    > ending up in the hospital is between 10-30% and your chance of dying
    > is between 1 and 3%. I would say that the evidence strongly suggests
    > that everyone including our diabetic kids should get the H1NI vaccine.

7. TracieandJim

TracieandJim Approved members

Not gonna do it.

My main reasons are:

The vaccine hasn't been tested enough

and

GlaxoSmithKline has been declared exempt of any law suits from it.

I am confident DH and I will be able to catch, control and manage should either child gets it.

8. fredntan2

fredntan2 Approved members

I think I may be leaning towards not getting it.

But I have also read that the pneumonia shot is recomended. along with the flu shot. I believe mine have had the pneum shot, will check tomorrow whne they get there flu shots.

And at first symptoms tamiflu/antinausea meds start

9. mollgirl

mollgirl Approved members

We are not getting the swine flu shot however when the kids got the flu shots I asked the Dr(ped.) about the pneumonia Vac. and she said they do not stock it. Jason goes to the endo this month so I'll ask about pneu. shot then.