- advertisement -

H1N1 - is it important to know "for sure" if a sibling has it?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by dqmomof3, Sep 12, 2009.

1. dqmomof3

dqmomof3 Approved members

My oldest son came home from school with a 101.5 fever yesterday. Coughing, still has a fever, breathing is a bit labored, etc.., and his body hurts. Looks like the flu - some sort, anyway.

If he were yours, would you want to know for sure which strain he has? I'm not sure whether it's worth a visit to the doctor's office. If it weren't for having Jayden, it wouldn't matter to me at all. Now I'm wondering whether I'm being irresponsible by not taking him in to get a "definition."

Thanks in advance...

2. betty6333

betty6333 Approved members

I would call the endo and ask what they think. I have heard the test for swine flu isn't all that accurate anyway.

Most (90% according to the reports) of the flu variety going around this early is swine flu, and they may want to have her on tamiflu if she begins to exhibit symptoms.

3. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

I would say, when in doubt call. They will at least give you directives for sick day info if you haven't had to use them in a while.

4. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

my daughter had it first and at that time our state was not testing so our pediatrician advised us to just assume that's what it was. So, no, it's not really important to know what strain it is, just as you wouldn't bring them in for a routine flu swab in the past. If it's the flu, treatment is exactly the same, no matter what strain.

no, you're not being irresponsible because really there is nothing you can do even if it is h1n1.

5. iluvmhp

iluvmhp Approved members

Our docs arent testing anymore. They are assuming all flu is influenza A - swine flu. I would just keep an eye on her! :) good luck!

ETA-I would call and ask about tamiflu for dear boy!

Last edited: Sep 12, 2009
  6. FeeferGross

FeeferGross Approved members

i hope it isn't swine, and i hope he feels better, however, i think it is kinda "irresponsible" to say you wouldn't even "Care". hes your son, and hes sick, how could you not care? just because you have a daughter with type 1? how does your son feel about that? =/

eta-
    nevermind, read that wrong, i thought you were implying that him having the flu didnt matter to you at all, my apologies!

7. dqmomof3

Of course I care! Apology accepted...but just to clarify, I care very much that my son is sick. It just doesn't matter so much to me exactly what kind of flu it is - he's sick and miserable, and will be even more sick and miserable if I make him travel to a doctor's office. That's all I was asking...since I have a child with type 1 diabetes at home, is it important that I know exactly what kind of flu my son has.

8. cindyrn6617

cindyrn6617 Approved members

Regardless of the type, when in doubt call. And, if he's having trouble breathing, definitely. Just not worth taking a risk and regretting it. Also, if you are within the time limit, tamiflu can be started to help with the flu.

BTW, Hope it doesn't last long and he's back to normal soon.

9. dqmomof3

We're past the limit for the Tamiflu, unfortunately. I had a nasty cold last week - definitely not the flu - so we all thought that's what he was coming down with too and didn't think too much of it.

10. jcanolson

jcanolson Approved members

I was just talking to our dr. office when we went in to get our regular flu shot. She was telling me that the microbiologist that they deal with told them that any flu right now is probably H1N1. It's just too early for the seasonal flu.

We may become hermits:). Since school started it seems to be everywhere around here.

11. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

I agree, I think my boys had it, it's seems shorter than the Reg. flu but who knows...Like Michelle said, it's treated the same:cwds: