- advertisement -

H-Tron Plus user, warranty almost up... looking at choices and needs info! :)

Discussion in 'Insulin Pumps' started by Dawnhulio, Feb 6, 2007.

1. Dawnhulio

Dawnhulio New Member

I have been using a Disetronic H-Tron plus for almost seven years (St. Patricks Day, as a matter of fact...) Got the folder from them in early January because my pump is close to it's end of run time and technical inspection... in which case it won't be replaced due to the release of their Accu-Check pump.

Have spent a lot of time talking to diabetic acquantainces and my endo who all said the following:
    *they haven't recieved prompt, if any, follow-through or returns of calls made
    *Accu-Check isn't necessarily 'known' for it's accuracy in regards to their GM items...
    *and my endo couldn't believe they weren't just going to replace it, seems 'forced'.

Now, I have gotten along pretty well with the H-Tron but had problems with water entering the pump and several replacements (FDA issued it's statement that the pump could no longer call itself such in 2003, I think); this was a pain in my you-know-what as I canoe and swim like a fish... hate being disconnected from it!

My endo, CDE, and friends all mentioned either the Animas or the Cozmo... and I have two nice packets of info from both that I've read through. I also have a pack from MiniMed but have decided to not go with this system as my insurance will not cover the equipment for the CGM. (They laughed... '$35.00 per site, every three days? $1000 for the transmitter, every 9 months or so? That will be an out-of-pocket expense'). eek...

My understanding is that the Cozmo receives free upgrades when the technology is updated, which I think is a GREAT feature... but I also dig the fact that the Animas has the food 'library' and you can program it with some popular music. Function-wise, I think I would get along with either for basic programming.

Any reason why YOU chose one over the other for yourself or a family member? I'll take any info I can get, as I'm at a draw with the Cozmo and the Animas... THANK YOU!!!!

2. n_K

n_K Approved members

personally with my experiance over the last 4 days, the batch of cozmo reservoirs I used got lots of air in and leaked out the bottom, unfortunately today it nackered my pump up but hopefully its just my batch and not the whole lot. Im in UK so its very different to the US but here the support from smiths medical is as if they dont care about the product much, although i've heard that the US support lines are much better. It depends mainly on what you need or want the pump for, I do not know much about animas but the new animas sounds good with the food library but myself, I prefer to enter the bolus manually. The cozmo has been a good pump, the minimed 508 has been a great pump and thats all i've used

3. dougs7777

dougs7777 New Member

Another Disetronic user losing warranty

Hello Dawn from the Atlantic side of the USA!

Saw your post on Childrenwithdiabetes.com. I live in CT and am close to the ocean. Hope you enjoy the Pacific in Portland like I do the Atlantic.

I was diagnosed at 9 and am now 39. I also have a Disetronic H-Tron and am not happy they will not warranty my pump any more. Especially since I recently was laid off and lost my pump supplies insurance. I am out looking for work but finding any job here right now, let alone one with good insurance, is tuff. I've been on the pump for 10 years and what a difference it has made in my quality of life. The thought of maybe having to go back on shots scares me, to say the least.

I feel awful for asking this, but do you have any extra H-Tron supplies you are not using since you are getting a new pump? I have about 40 days of supplies left (today is 2/16/07). I really could use infusion sets and batteries. Still have a good supply of cartridges, but really need infusion sets. If you can part with any supplies I will send you $ for the shipping and some extra for your effort.

I do appreciate your help if you can provide it. I’ve never begged anyone for anything before, but desperate times call for desperate measures I guess.

Thank you for any help and prayers.

DougS

4. rickst29

rickst29 Approved members

Dawn, I *wouldn't* write of Minimed, just because

the Sensors and CGMS feature are expensive. You don't have to buy the CGMS.... and the vast majority of Minimed customers do not buy it.

If there's other reasons (such as "I require waterproof", or "I require Lauer Lock infusion sets", or best of all.... "I actually TRIED IT and liked the xxxx much better"

Then go ahead and cross them off your list. But Although you're PO'd at AccuCheck/Disetronic for their "forced" upgrade, there's a Canadian woman around here who loves the pump, because the Spirit needs way fewer button presses than Cozmo to create the kind of bolus she always wants to do. And if you're carrying a cellphone all the time already and might like a nice Palm 'Trio' PDA upgrade.... then you can have much more powerful software, with a much nicer display and keyboard to use it on.

But like you, I'm very underwhelmed by Accu-Check's "generous" offer. In spite of cartridge problems of the poster above, I'd buy Cozmo if I was buying today. But My DTron+ and spares have a few years before *all* of their T1 timers expire, so I won't be shopping until all of the current "leading" models have been replaced by even better products.

BTW, all of the above (Minimed x22 AND Animas 1250 AND Deltec Cozmo AND Accu-Check Spirit) are an order-of-magnitude better than the old HTrons. Even the DTron+ isn't competitive in this market anymore, and the DTrons have far more capability than the HTrons.

5. Rob

Rob Approved members

I've got a cozmo pump and i'm fairly satisfied with it.

It's supposed to be waterproof, but I've never actually tested it. I find it fairley simple to use, But if you get one, I would highly reccomend the computer software to go with it. it makes programming alot easier and you can be alot more precise with setting it up. Only downside is that you're usually required to buy an IR interface for your computer. But if you already have one (like on a lap-top) you're set.

FYI the new versions on the pump are supposed to have a "food library" built in along with some other perks. As for upgrades, they're sending out whole new pumps from the sounds of it to customers with the old versions. (although i havent heard about anyone getting the new ones as of yet) If you're lookin at getting a meter with the pump, there is a "coz-moniter" you can get with the pumps. i got one free when they where willing to ship them to their customers free of charge, altho I can't say i'm overly impressed with it. IMO it would be better if they had a better way of attaching it to the pump. whenever it's on there I feel like I'm going to break it off.

Overall, I would reccomd it based on my use of it, but then I don't have another pump that I've used to compare it to, So keep that in mind when lookin at my opnion.

http://www.cozmore.com/default.cfm/PID=1.35 there is an overview of new features . hope this helps ya out a little in your decision

- Rob

6. n_K

n_K Approved members

im on the cozmo although im switching to the realtime after training on monday, the cozmo has been a great pump but support wise in the UK... pff do they even know what a pump is or what it does. Mine broke because the reservoir leaked and they said "well it is friday so we wont be able to send it until monday" although after telling them that it is life threatening they changed there minds :)
    the software package really is unmatched, no other program can beat it and the data it gives is very good. There was a slight problem with the side buttons coming off but the replacement pump i have on now seems to have been upgraded and the problem has been fixed... we were told that the pumps were water proof for 24 hours but along with lots of other lies from a rep. we found out it is apparently water proof for 8 minutes.
    But overall a great pump!

7. rickst29

rickst29 Approved members

Private Msg for Doug!

Doug, when you're back please check your private messages. I don't have 'spare' supplies to give you, but sent links to instructions how to re-build the HTRON batteries for less than $3 each time.

Please send a 'reply' message back to me if you got it already. :cwds:

8. n_K

n_K Approved members

reservoirs... they say "use a fresh one each time"... well use this information at your own risk but i've used the same reservoir for 6 months at a time, somtimes longer and its worked fine... i know people that use each for about a year, i even know a guy that was on a 70's pump that had the same reservoir and set for 21 years which he kept re-using as the production was halted. They tell you to use a new one each time because its profit, same with lancets, i use the same lancet for 2 or 4 days, its fine but the companies hate it because they dont make nearly as much money as they can

9. Twinklet

Twinklet Approved members

My daughter uses a CozMore and loves it. She likes the attached meter, although it does make it a bit bulkier. The new upgrade includes a huge food diary. And she's worn the pump in the pool several times with no problems. We've not had any problems with the infusion sets, and there are several to choose from. We've had excellent customer service, and yes, the upgrades are free. Just wanted to throw in another opinion, good luck choosing!

10. Jen Jen

Jen Jen Approved members

I'm an Ani fan, I have an IR1250. I enjoy the features of the pump, very useful(and optional to use), the software that came with it works well and over all I am very satisfied. I decided on Animas a long long time ago, well before I got my pump. My pump's survived much abuse, too, it's withstood exceptionally well, still looks good, and is still waterproof(I'm rough on electronics, cell phone insurance won't even replace my phone anymore due to too many times of killing them). Animas' customer service has been great. I'm also a fan of the Lifescan Ultra monitors. Animas is getting ready to release later this year an upgrade to the IR1200 series, I believe it is the IR1275. Some rumours are thus on the new pump, it will communicate with a meter(Lifescan meter), have new features(I forget which ones), and over all nicer design. Last upgrade, Animas charged $199, that included software and hardware(Ir1200 to Ir1250), not sure if it will be more or the same with the new one.

You may want to consider contacting your local reps and see if you can get demonstrations of each pump, most people find this the best way to determine which pump suits them better.