advertisement

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gymnasts with pumps?

Discussion in 'Sports and Athletics' started by HeatherG, Oct 12, 2017.

1. HeatherG

HeatherG New Member

Hello, my 10 year old daughter is an aspiring gymnast working to join her local team. Six months out now from her diagnosis, she is also hoping to get a pump. We are trying to decide whether to go with the Medtronic pump (probably the 630 since our insurance won't cover the closed-loop 670 yet) or the Omnipod. The Medtronic sounds great, with its suspend on low function, and we would hope to upgrade to the 670 when our insurance co gets its act together. But, would an ever-increasing training schedule that requires her to disconnect her pump for longer and more frequent periods of time end up negating the benefits of the Medtronic? The Omnipod, on the other hand, would stay connected throughout practice but is larger. How does it affect a gymnast's ability to bend and move? Does it get in the way or cause discomfort? If there are any gymnasts out there who would be willing to chime in and share their experiences we would be very grateful!

2. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

Pods are not that large. My daughter is quite athletic and has only had a Pod get in the way once in over 3 years of use.

3. kim5798

kim5798 Approved members

My daughter did/does a lot of dance, largely ballet, and never had issues with the pump getting in the way of bending & moving. You can always clip the pump inside the back of her leo, or in the chest area. At times my daughter did disconnect during a performance, but as time went by, she left it connected more often than not. Feeling & performing better because your numbers are where they ought to be is a good incentive. At 10, she may not think so.

The beauty of the pump is that you can adjust the delivery rates as they exercise more & need less insulin, or more if your child's diabetes reacts that way. One of her friends has omnipod & she was also a dancer. Never slowed her down. Other friends, now in college, play rugby with a minimed pump, another plays volleyball & soccer. I'll have to ask if she knows anyone in her circle with diabetes who is a gymnast.

4. joy orz

joy orz Approved members

My gymnast went with a tubed pump for a couple of reasons. For tumbling and bars, she wanted to be able to take it off. She wears it for the beam and longer periods. I'd say do a trial of both. Lots of athletes love the pod because it doesn't have the tube. Others like the flexibility of the low profile infusion sets of a tubed pump and if she is also wearing the Dexcom, you run out of room.

Take a look at the TSlim. It has a smaller profile than medtronic.
    Joy