- advertisement -

Gymnastics and the pump?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by liasmommy2000, Aug 29, 2007.

1. liasmommy2000

liasmommy2000 Approved members

I am likely going to be signing Lia up for a once a week/1 hour gymnastics class.

How should I handle the pump? Previously she tended to go low with lots of activity, but her honeymoon seems to be ending and she also hasn't been involved in any sports etc this summer since starting the pump, so I really don't know how her BS will respond now.

Anyway does anyone here have a child in gymnastics who wears a pump? If so, do they disconnect or not?

2. momofsingingdiabetic

momofsingingdiabetic Approved members

For only an hour, I might consider disconnecting to keep from getting anything tangled or pulled out. I love with our Cozmo, Danielle can choose to "disconnect" for up to two hours and it will give her a percentage of her basal up front and the rest when she reconnects, depending on her sugar level.

3. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

I prefer to disconnect Abby for gymnastics because she tends to run low about mid-way through due to the activity. However, there have been times when she is high and I prefer to keep her on the pump and we have found that it really doesn't interfer with movement. Of course, she's only 6, so it's not as intense as it would be for more adavanced students.

Abby finds overall that it is more comfortable to not wear her pump during this time.

4. Mary Lou

Mary Lou Approved members

Hi! My 9 year old son, Brian, is a competitive gymnast and he always disconnects when going into the gym. Seriously -- it gets in the way. You can't be flipping around on the equipment and have that pump at your waist. We tried it for about 3 minutes before realizing how awkward it was in that setting.

Over the years, we've done different things to manage the gym. At first, when his training was just 1 hour, we checked that his BG was around 150 before hand, sent him in and checked when he came out, corrected any high, or most often, gave him a "recovery snack" when it was over.

Now that his training is 2 - 2 1/2 hours per session, we check before going in, pre-bolus for 30% of one hour of basal IF he's in range. I go into the gym and check hourly, "bolusing" for the 30% basal each time. At the end of class, he is checked again and given a snack or additional insulin.

I find that the tricky part of gymnastics is the nighttime low. Because the activity is primarily anerobic and not aerobic, he doesn't go very low during the exercise, but does experience a nighttime drop as the muscles release lactic acid. At bedtime, if his numbers stayed in range throughout gymnstics and before bed, we give him a 50% basal rate for a lenght of time equal to his work-out.

Gymnastics is a great sport and my DH and I believe it has gone a long way to keep him strong and healthy. The downside -- no body fat for sites!! :D

5. liasmommy2000

liasmommy2000 Approved members

Thanks everyone. We will try disconnecting and see how it goes.

I'm really hoping she enjoys gymnastics (I took a few years and loved it). So far, no sports/dance etc have interested her for very long, except swimming. And our H.S. pool was closed all summer for renovation and will be through the fall/winter, so that's out for a while.

6. twicker1

twicker1 Approved members

Mary Lou, Brandon has been taking gymnastics now for 1-1/2 years, and is on the pre-team. Hopefully, he will go to team next summer, and by then we hope to be pumping. I figured that we would disconnect, but I was wondering if you have to avoid certain spots so the site doesn't interfere with the different aparatus. I was thinking that the site might be in the way doing bars. Brandon also has NO body fat. What spots does your son use for his pump?

7. 1luckymom

1luckymom Approved members

My daughter is 12 and a competitive gymnast. She trains 4 hours a day, 4-5 days a week. She disconnects when she is at the gym due to the intensity of her workout. I would think even at entry levels it would be easier to disconnect. Plus my daughter only wears a leotard and don't know where she would keep the pump if she stayed connected. At first we tested all the time. Now she pretty much knows how her BS react to her workout and she tests less frequently. She is old enough to be aware of a low and will test if she thinks it is necessary.

As for sites the problem is definitely that she has no body fat. We use the upper part of her behind. We have tried her sides but those tend to pull out easier with her type of stretching.

I also agree with the previous post about BS dipping after workout due to the type of exercise. We definitely experience this rather than problems during workout. During workout she always eats protein snacks such as cheese, lunch meats and nuts. We always keep a Gatorade on hand in case of a low but very rarely need to use it.

Good luck and have fun with this great sport! Also good luck to my daughter Maddy who starts her competitive season on Sept. 8!