- advertisement -

Gummy worms...Any issues?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Heather(CA), Mar 2, 2013.

1. swellman

swellman Approved members

Agreed ... gummy bears is a red herring ....

2. mysweetwill

mysweetwill Approved members

Alright, so sorry I should have started a new thread. Thanks to whomever responded and now back to the mystery low...

3. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Since it wasn't your thread to begin with I'm not sure why you need to apologize :cwds:

The last thing I want to do is shut down discussion. There's too little of real D management talk on CWD as it is... I was simply saying, "yes, that's a great topic". Make it a new thread and more people will see it and a better conversation will be had ;) That's all.

4. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

Not that I know of but she was asleep when she retested so I don't know...The first low was very mild, she treated then forgot to tetest for a while. She did not wake up until after glucagon

5. Helenmomofsporty13yearold

Helenmomofsporty13yearold Approved members

A very important reminder why endos insist on those annoying retests.

I am glad the child is well and sorry the family had to experience this.

Gummy candies were the only thing I remember severely limiting. I just could not figure them out. Most sugary things could be added to DD's meal with no problem, but not Gummies.

6. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Right. I know that the OP's son doesn't extend or split doses, and that's why I pointed out our experience to her. She seems unwilling to acknowledge our (or yours or others') experience in this regard, and I can only hope that her friend gains this knowledge from someone else. I'm not saying that it IS the answer to this particular question, but it seems to be a likely one, given the few facts that we know. I'm not sure why the OP bothered to post here, if she was going to ignore reasonable responses and conclude that it must have been warmer weather and stress. :confused:

7. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

My daughter gets the whole bolus up front too (plus more over a couple of hours), but from my almost 5 years of being on this board, I know we are definitely in the minority.

8. Heather(CA)

Are you kidding me? Give me some credit where credit is due... My friends daughter has had D for YEARS! As this has never happened before when giving insulin after high fat meals. I'm sure that wasn't the case this time either. That does not mean I don't believe you in your situation. I challenge you to quote me where I gave that impression. Thanks for reminding me why I rarely come her anymore. You are rude and ridicules, Just because I don't believe that was what happened does not mean I don't believe you have to deal with that. I did not ignore, I got more info. It was 30-40 minutes AFTER the meal before she got insulin. Take your drama somewhere else Hawkeyegirl

9. Heather(CA)

Agreed, my OP was because I thought she had gummy worms all by themselves. Seth doesn't eat those so I asked for input.

For the record she has had D for years and this has never happened before. That is why it's more of a mystery...My first thought was that the Lantus/fastacting got mixed up but she insists that it wasn't.

10. swellman

I'm still confused but a high fat meal PLUS candy and a full bolus for all of it even after 30-40 minutes is still a recipe for a low - especially a dinner meal.

However, if they have hamburger and fries all the time before bed and this never happens then either the carbs for the gummy food got blocked by the high fat meal or you were right and they gave fast acting instead of Lantus. Or they tested before the gummies and corrected on top of a food spike. Or warm weather and stress. I don't think it was the gummies alone though.

11. Heather(CA)

Your twisting my words. I didn't say she eats a hamburger and fries all the time. She gives insulin after she eats all the time for all meals. Fat or no fat and this has NEVER happened before. Just because that is a recipe for a low for your child does not means that it is for everyone.

12. swellman

Calm down and stop being so defensive. I wasn't twisting your words - what I meant to say, not in any judgmental way, was that if eating a burger and fries wasn't an uncommon occurrence - meaning they had prior experience with, then blah, blah, blah ..... jeeze. "A" recipe does not mean "their" recipe. You ask for advice and when you get it you get bent. I'm done ... you figure it out.

13. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Whoa. Talk about an overreaction. I only see one person being rude or dramatic in this thread, and it isn't me.

I truly, sincerely hope your friend finds someone who can help her figure this out. (And maybe who could educate her on the benefits of prebolusing.) Best of luck to her.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2013
  14. Heather(CA)

I'm not bent, sorry if I gave that impression. Some kids do eat burgers and fries often. She has had D for years so it wasn't the first time this scenario has occurred...My original post was because I thought she had gummy worms alone. Then I realized she had the fat close to that to slow it down. Because she has had D for years, I realized the gummy worms were probably not the reason..