- advertisement -

Guess Prednisone changed everything!

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by bbirdnuts@aol.com, Jan 3, 2010.

1. bbirdnuts@aol.com

bbirdnuts@aol.com Approved members

I guess Prednisone has messed up Carolina's blood sugar. She took her last dose at 1AM last Thursday. Blood sugars have not been out of the 200's expect for times of a correction shot or 2 hours after food and Novolog. What experience have any of you had with ending of Prednisone and blood sugars returning to normal. I think this is odd, but it is what we have been dealt. Any thoughts?

I am suppose to fax blood sugars to the Endro. on Monday and have an appointment Tuesday. I am guessing her Levemir will have to be increased again.

She was suppose to have started on the OmniPod, Dec. 29, 2009, but that had to be postponed due to the allergic reaction. Most say that blood sugars run high when switching from MDI to a pump. I am feeling we should get these numbers under some control before adding another factor.

2. WestinsMom

WestinsMom Approved members

I am surprised the prednisone didn't shoot her higher than that! We usually see lots of 500 on it. I would just make a note that numbers are out of wack do to the prednisone. They shouldn't make permanent changes for a short term problem.

3. bbirdnuts@aol.com

Michelle,

Carolina's insulin requirements while on Prednisone were increased by 100%. Once the Prednisone was stopped the Endro. had us to return using the same amount of insulin as prior to Prednisone.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2010
  4. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

I have no experience wich steroid treatment but, I just wanted to say that it may be easier to handle this on a pump with short acting only?

Temp basals are your friend.

5. wilf

wilf Approved members

I think if she's not been out of the 200s since Thursday that she needs more Levemir, and I'm surprised your endo hasn't recommended that.

6. fredntan2

fredntan2 Approved members

she must still be in honeymoon.
    prednisone is a 4 letter word. whew. hate it.
    being in the 200's when dd was on prednisone would have been great.

7. selketine

selketine Approved members

Thinking back I'd say it took 4-5 days for the blood sugar to go back down to normal so that the old pump settings worked. Seems like we had to triple all the basals/bolus numbers (so more than you did) - and we had to gradually ramp it back down.

8. bbirdnuts@aol.com

I am hopeful that Carolina's blood sugar numbers will go back to what they were before the Prednisone. It does not look too promising.

9. dqmomof3

dqmomof3 Approved members

Steroids are nasty on the blood sugar. Sorry you had to do this!

10. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

Steriods do nasty things to blood sugars.. once its all out of her system you should see similar numbers to what you were seeing before. I think its a good call of the ENDO to return to her normal amounts of insulin once the steriods are stopped, it'll take a bit it to be completely gone..Good luck at the ENDO appointment on Tuesday, if she's still in the 200s, then my guess is that your basal insulin will be increased.

We didn't see crazy highs when we switched to the pump. Don't worry, the ENDO and the CDE/Pump Trainer will help you out with all that, usually you are in contact quite a bit with the ENDO'S office when starting the pump.

11. bbirdnuts@aol.com

Thank you Kaylee's mom for the encouragement and everyone else too.

12. sam1nat2

sam1nat2 Approved members

Was she in a honeymoon before the prednisone? Could that have ended due to the reason she was on prednisone??

I agree, pumpig could provide a lot more flexibility in basals.

We didn't see too many crazy numbers when starting pumping.

13. bbirdnuts@aol.com

No, Carolina honeymooned for 2 1/2 years without insulin. The honeymoon is over. Some thoughts that I have is that she has gained weight and is growing. Always a possibility at 9 3/4 years old.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2010