- advertisement -

groupon, living social, zing deals

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by bibrahim, May 16, 2011.

1. bibrahim

bibrahim Approved members

Has anyone tried them? I bought a manicure through Zing local deals but I knew the salon. I got my first french manicure for $12.00. It's funny that it felt so good to get it and take extra care of myself.

What did you do, if you purchased a deal?

2. Leece

Leece Approved members

Had a date night with my DH for $5. Worth $30 of food. It was very good.

3. MamaBear

MamaBear Approved members

I have not used any of them, but I have one friend, and a brother who have both used groupon and LOVE it. No feedback on the others.

4. Marcia

Marcia Approved members

My oldest D lives near Tampa, when we visited last year she had been gathering her groupons. Just a few of the things we did:
    Segway tour of Clearwater BOGO, horseback riding on beach BOGO, pottery painting $50 supplies for $25, $30 off meal at upscale restaurant.
    It was great, D checked every day for different offers. Just read the fine print because some offers expire quickly or are only good on certain days of week.

5. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

I've done a couple of them and they worked out great. My cousin did one for facials, she wanted to take her Mom and her friend for Mothers Day but found out after she bought them that it was a one person shop and they couldn't do them together, they were also booked really far out so she couldn't do Mothers Day weekend either. Just do a little research and read the fine print.

6. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

mother in law bought a bounce house pass for 1/2 price and we are still having fun.

I will be looking at it myself now.

7. Stacey Nagel

Stacey Nagel Approved members

I bought a $100. gift certificate for a local Hibachi place at restaurant .com for $15. 5 of us ate... soup to nuts... and it only cost me an additional $20.
    But- be careful and read the fine print. Many places are only good at specific times... I usually call ahead- before I purchase the certificates to make sure the place accepts it...

8. aidensmom23

aidensmom23 Approved members

I have used Groupon, Living Social and Restaurant.com. I have had no problems with any of them. You do need to read the fine print, especially for the restaurants. I will say that I feel kind of bad using them just because I think the stores/restaurants are not always happy.

9. WendyTT

WendyTT Approved members

I've bought 3-4 of them and have been quite pleased, you get some very good deals. I bought a $20 gift card for Barnes and Noble for $10 and went to use it this past week and saw that it expired on 4-21--I had bought it in March and had no idea it would expire that soon. I decided to ask them if they'd still take it and they said as long as their computer would take it they would and it did. Not saying that will always be the case, I won't ever let mine expire again but don't throw one away that you think is expired and won't work. I think Groupons are awesome!

10. sooz

sooz Approved members

I belong to Groupon and have bought some half price restaurant deals and most recently $30 worth of Color Me Mine for $15 which is a place you go paint ceramics, and I took the kids there and they had a fun time painting. I kind of disagree that the places arent happy when you use the groupons because they must offer the special deals for advertising purposes or they wouldnt be listed on groupon. You always need to tip on the full amount of your meal at restaurants even if you have coupons, it is only fair to the servers. I dont think you can go wrong as long as you are familiar with the places and as has been said, watch the expiration dates.

11. Kaylas mom

Kaylas mom Approved members

I just bought passes to a local pumpkin patch this morning off of living social. Great deal since it is the best pumpkin patch around but the admission price is $12 a person. Got 4 passes for $24! I have also used them for food and have had no issue using them.

12. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

Ok can't beleive that i am telling you this.

My MIL bought me Lazer hair removal, 6 treatment for $150. 3 threatment in and I am happy!!!

Something I would never have paid full price for, but thought that if it didn't work it was ONLY 150 not the 700-1000 normal price.

I have also bought online deals for room decals and petting zoo trips.

Read the fine print, but the work and let you try or do things that you normally hold back on due to price.

If there is a deal that you want buy it as soon as you can, I was so made when I got a groupin alert and when to check out the store first to decide if i should buy it and when i got home it was sold out! I was bummed.

13. MissMadisonsMom

MissMadisonsMom Approved members

I've used Groupon and Living Social - My only advice is to read the fine print.

14. tiger7lady

tiger7lady Approved members

Yep, I use them all the time!

One thing to remember though about expiration dates. They are still valid for the amount you paid even after they expire.

So for example - if you paid $10 for $50 worth of food at a restaurant, and the certificate expires before you use it, you can still apply $10 towards your bill. They HAVE to allow at least that amount.

15. MamaBear

MamaBear Approved members

They do buy advertising contracts with these companies. Several months ago Living Social was hiring agents in multiple cities, who sell and set up these sort of contracts. So no they don't get mad at people using these coupons. Perhaps some employees of these places get irritated for some reason, but the company owners and managers are definitely willing to have these coupons redeemed.;)