- advertisement -

Greetings and Salutations!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Victoria!, May 31, 2011.

1. Victoria!

Victoria! Approved members

Hi all, I am Victoria from Littleton CO, mom of 4 girls. Daughter Alexa, 14 was diagnosed this past weekend in severe ketoacidosis. We are still in a bit of shock and hoping to find wisdom and support here from other parents.

I am very familiar with adult diabetes as my mom was diagnosed 35 years ago, however the juvenile diabetes thing is all new to me.

Look forward to talking with you all.

Thanks, Victoria

2. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

Welcome Victoria!
    Sorry for the upheaval in your lives, but so glad you found this forum so quickly! Molly was diagnosed almost a year ago...we've walked in your shoes and know how it feels! Thankfully, we have fabulous resourses here in in the Denver area. I don't know if you received the Pink Panther book...but you can view it online at this link:
    http://www.ucdenver.edu/academics/c...eBooks/books/Pages/UnderstandingDiabetes.aspx

It's so crazy at first and lots of ups and downs, but believe it when people tell you that it does get so much easier with time. :)

3. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

Welcome to CWD.

My son was diagnosed as a teen. Let me know if I can offer teen-specific support.

4. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Welcome but sorry you have to be here. There are many parents of teens on this site so I think you should have a lot of support.

Here are some books you may find useful:

Understanding Diabetes (aka The Pink Panther book)
    by Dr. Peter Chase of the Barbara Davis Center at the University of Colorado.
    http://www.childrensdiabetesfdn.org/publications.html

Think Like a Pancreas: A Practical Guide to Managing Diabetes with Insulin
    by Gary Scheiner, Barry Goldstein
    http://www.amazon.com/Think-Like-Pancreas-Practical-Managing/dp/1569244367

Sweet Kids: How to Balance Diabetes Control & Good Nutrition with Family Peace
    by Betty Page Brackenridge, MS, RD, CDE & Richard R. Rubin, PhD, CDE. Published by the American Diabetes Association, 2002. 250 pages. Softcover.
    http://www.amazon.com/Sweet-Kids-Balance-Diabetes-Nutrition/dp/1580401244

Type 1 Diabetes: A Guide for Children, Adolescents and Young Adults -- and Their Caregivers
    by Ragnar Hanas, M.D. Published by Marlowe & Company, New York,
    http://www.amazon.com/Type-Diabetes-Adolescents-Adults-Caregivers/dp/1569243964

http://www.ndep.nih.gov/media/Youth_NDEPSchoolGuide.pdf

Finally, in addition to the forums there is a chat room here where you can talk to other parents in "real time".

http://www.childrenwithdiabetes.com/chat/

Hang in there :cwds:

5. Victoria!

Victoria! Approved members

Thanks for the welcome!

First question, if anyone can tell me is regarding pharmacies...I do have health insurance, but does it make a difference which one I use for all this stuff? I have walgreens, King Soopers and Walmart closeby. Any reccommendations?:cwds:

6. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

We use an online pharmacy with Anthem BCBS. The savings is that you receive 3 months of product for 2 months of co-pay...good deal. I'm pretty sure that other providers have online pharmacies as well. We've had no problem getting insulin that way and it arrives cold. We had our endo's office fax all the prescription information after we used a local pharmacy for a while. Also, if you find that you are using more test strips than you are alloted (we did!) your dr's office can write a letter requesting more for medical necessity. That was so useful!

No question is too crazy to ask here...so ask away! ;)

7. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

Another teen mom here to welcome you. Sorry you had to join this club but glad you found us so quickly. My son was diagnosed a bit over a year ago at age 15. The changes that happened in that year are startling, so what feels overwhelming now will slowly become less so over time.

We're here if you need us.

8. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

I tend to use Walgreen's only for simplicity, we can be anywhere and access our prescriptions. Often I wish I were using our local pharmacy for ease and familiarity, but there have been more than a few times I was glad to have the option of being out of town and knowing I could refill at any time.

9. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Hello and welcome, I hope Alexa is starting to feel a little better. Will she be taking some time off school? Or hopefully shes out for the summer to give her and all of you some time to adjust to life with type 1 diabetes. For a pharmacy, we get much of Steven's diabetes supplies through mail order, some things we do get from Walmart as its close by.

10. VinceysMom

VinceysMom Approved members

Hi Victoria, I am Kathy... Mom to Vince dx at age 13 on 12/26/09...

My best advice would be to read as much as possible, by reading and acquainting yourself with Type 1 which is totally differently that Type 2, will alleviate a lot of fear you may have...IMO. :cwds: Educate yourself as much as possible.

In the past 18 months, we have learned so much... it is amazing... Not in my wildest dreams did I ever think that I would be lending advice, etc., to anyone else...

Come back here often to ask questions, seek advice, support, vent, whatever..someone is here usually 24/7.... you will find support here from around the globe!

Best wishes, Kathy

11. JeremysDad

JeremysDad Approved members

Victoria, welcome. You have surely come to the right place. We are all here because we share a common bond. I know how overwhelming it is for you right now but believe me, it does get easier. I'm sorry to hear about your daughter's severe DKA. A type 1 diagnosis can be delayed because the symptoms are similar to that of other ailments, until the doctor orders a blood glucose test.

Please come back often and ask questions. We are all here to help.

Best regards,

JD.