- advertisement -

Green Smoothie Girl promoting "healing" of t1d with diet

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by SarahKelly, Nov 20, 2011.

1. SueM

SueM Banned

If you go back and look at the website again and watch / listen to the video, there is no mention of a "cure". There is mention of a "reversal" and "eliminating" diabetes... (correct me if I am wrong). I take that to mean that there is / can be an elimination of high blood sugar numbers if you stay on the diet. With a diet that consists of veggies, nuts and seeds... it's probably not all that far off.

2. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

Ok, reversal/elminate instead of cure, it's still poor information. Even with needing NO bolus insulin for food, wouldn't he still need basal??

3. SarahKelly

SarahKelly Approved members

you're right she doesn't say cure, however they do speak of reversing - so I guess we're splitting hairs to say cure or reverse or or or...I honestly don't know why I posted it here on CWD, I just had a friend discuss it with me, she then emailed me the link and I felt frustrated. I felt like it is an unfair marketing scheme because when you listen you also find he still takes insulin when ill...therefor he didn't reverse anything, he just doesn't utilize insulin when in prime health on a specialized diet. To me that didn't change his autoimmune disorder, just changed his treatment plan. So...again, lame topic on my part, doesn't go anywhere. Thanks for taking the time to read, watch a video and respond. I am a little bothered by myself for even putting it on here now that my hothead cooled off. I hate when I give spotlight to people that are idiots, I don't do it in real life and I am unsure of why I do it when I come across less informed on the internet. Sadly I like a lot of her healthy living ideas, this one just hit the wrong chord for me.

4. SueM

SueM Banned

To me "cure" would mean no insulin needed ever, fully functioning pancreas, etc... Whereas, they are saying instead that you can "reverse" / "eliminate" diabetes (high blood sugar levels) by eating this VERY restrictive raw diet. :) There's a difference there, imo.

I am also not saying that I love these types of things because when people (not living with type 1) read them it absolutely can give off the impression that it would be easy to "control" diabetes. All you have to do is x,y,z. Ugh. I don't like that... However, there are some truths to the idea that eating vegetables, nuts, and seeds ONLY will improve your blood sugar levels overall... So, if people wish to try that route and / or use diet as a means to better "control" blood sugar levels... More power to them.

5. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

I think you hit the nail on the head there, of why this causes emotional reactions. It really IS that we often hear "if you feed him this..." or "if you add this to your water...", blah blah blah.

I actually believe a raw diet is a great idea, and I believe that we all would be healthier if we avoided fats and white sugar/flours. But I also believe that life is meant to be enjoyed and food is a major source of enjoyment. It's a balance.

I don't consider insulin the enemy. That this guy avoids insulin doesn't impress me. If he started a diet that produced insulin, that would get my attention. So he eats raw and avoids insulin. Big whoop. I'm going to go bake a pie now. Thank goodness for insulin!

6. MommaKat

MommaKat Approved members

Perhaps we can say more power to them once they've reached adulthood, but such a diet in childhood poses grave dangers to proper development of the CNS, and negatively impacts cognitive functioning and other physical development. Given that this disease is often diagnosed in one's childhood, it strikes me as incredibly naive and irresponsible to blog about a diet to eliminate diabetes without understanding the implications of doing so for the majority of patients struggling with the condition. Above and beyond that, it's worrisome that someone who professes to be concerned about holistic health fails to contemplate the repercussions of insinuating that it's okay to attempt to withhold insulin, or to clarify that the subjects she chose to focus on still need insulin when sick, given the number parents that will likely be drawn to her sensationalist blog title and their hope of reversing their child's diabetes.

7. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Thank you for this.:cwds: I often wonder what is so wrong about insulin that makes people want to reduce or eliminate it. Not talking about insulin resistance, just how taking insulin (or even needing it) is a big non-no for some. We produce it naturally usually, so it's there for a reason.

8. SueM

SueM Banned

Does a better childhood diet consist of pizza and McDonald's fries? Ha Ha. I'm kidding of course, but I guess my point is there are people who are able to survive and flourish on diets that I would never either a) consider for my own family or b) think would give them the nourishment that they need... and yet, some people make them work. Again, with tons of work and effort to assure proper nutrition. I assure you though, I am in no way, shape or form promoting any sort of diet for any child with type 1 diabetes... I would personally never do that...

9. SueM

SueM Banned

Insulin that you inject is not quite the same as insulin that is naturally made in the non-diabetic's body. Having said that... I love man-made insulin. :)

10. wilf

wilf Approved members

Actually it is utterly preposterous. While starvation will cause a dramatic reduction in blood sugars, this will be accompanied by steady weight loss.

Regardless of what diet you put a person with Type 1 diabetes on (outside of the honeymoon), they will perish within a year if they're not getting insulin. That is how long it takes - at maximum - for the body to waste away before perishing..

It is possible to all but eliminate the need for boluses to cover meals/snacks through various combinations of exercise and diet. It is NOT possible to eliminate the need for basal insulin, and in a person with Type 1 diabetes the only way to get basal insulin is externally (via injections or a pump).

This video, persuasive as it is, is based on lies and nothing more.

Does anyone honestly believe that if some diet of raw veggies and/or green smoothies would reverse or eliminate diabetes that it wouldn't be the medical news story of the century?!

11. wilf

wilf Approved members

Your post is not accurate. It suggests that for some small minority of adults at least, Type 1 diabetes could be eliminated through diet.

There is no diet that will reverse or eliminate diabetes for children OR adults with Type 1 in the absence of basal insulin. They will all die a gruesome death of starvation within a year or so, because of the only way for a person with Type 1 to get the basal insulin they need to live is externally (by injection or pump). There are no exceptions.

12. SueM

SueM Banned

It wouldn't be the news story of the century because it would be considered a misdiagnosis or some other anomaly (as it should be).

13. MommaKat

No, I am not suggesting this at all. I am simply aware that a couple of the major type 1 bloggers feel safe reducing insulin needs with a macro or raw diet given their years managing D and their status as adults. (I can't remember if it was Sysy, Kelly Kunick, or another closely related female type 1 blogger, and I'm too tired to see which recently mentioned that she's now pursuing this as a personal health choice. The difference between her and the blog discussed by the OP is that the type 1 blogger was very clear that it is 1) a decision not necessarily related to D care, 2) not a safe approach for children, and 3) born of her personal desire to reduce the amount of insulin needed at this stage in her life, but likely something that could or would change. Not once did she frame it as a means of eliminating diabetes, but instead as a means, combined with an exercise regimen, to achieve an A1C level under 6) Other type 1s responded to her post with similar intent, and I respect their desire to do so, that this is a personal choice for an adult to make, but not a reasonable choice for a parent of a child to make.

I do not subscribe to the idea that type 1 diabetes can be eliminated through diet, nor did I ever say as much. My personal belief is that limiting carb intake in order to decrease insulin needs (or even in an effort towards better health without diabetes as a component of one's profile) may well prove an unhealthy practice for a variety of reasons. Regardless of my personal beliefs about this, and whether or not I feel those are supported by my experience and education in health care and nursing, I also do not feel I have the right to pass judgement on other adults and how they manage their care.

I'm not sure why you misconstrued the intent of my post, but I'm certainly not the person you need to address your concerns to. While I fully believe in eating healthy and utilizing both western and alternative forms of healthcare, I am all about seeking balance and joy in one's life. Macro vegan will never hold the potential for that in my life, and without joy, I cannot conceive of the possibility of health. Speaking of which, anyone have some chocolate they could spare?

14. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Well, at least we can agree on this.:p

No, it's not, but it keeps my kid alive.:cwds:

15. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

I googled the gentleman in the interview and found some other interviews. Interestingly he said that this, when referring to when he stopped taking insulin:

"When I stopped taking it my blood sugar was about 150, which really isn't that bad because typically on the American Diabetes Association diet that I was following my blood sugar on insulin was about 500 on average. I was okay with being at 150 without insulin."

I'm happy that this guy has gained control of his health, truly I am, but there is so much irresponsible stuff in this article it's not even funny. I'd like to hear about basal insulin, consumption of fruits and grains, etc. It appears that he has NO understanding at all of management of diabetes, so I'm not sure how he can represent this type of lifestyle well at all.

Sad part to me is that I actually DO think we'd all be healthier if we ate more raw, less meat, more whole foods. I definitely think low glycemic diets are the key to leveling of blood sugars. But when people throw stuff out there like this with no real understanding of basal insulins and use the word "reversal of diabetes" it just negates any real knowledge that may be gained.

edited to add that the interview was titled "interview with...., FORMER Type-1 diabetic". Emphasis mine. Former? Really?

16. MommaKat

This exactly. In the video he discusses the fact that he avoids or severely limits both fruits and grains, and that's the part of this 'diet' that made me feel the need to post on GSG's blog. He's decreasing insulin needs (not eliminating) through restriction, and the only reversal going on in that case is the amount of glucose available to his brain for cognitive functioning. That's just frightening, and really, really dangerous if done in a child's diet given the higher glucose needs for growth and development. They're not truly promoting a typical raw diet, but one devoid of fruit and grain, and the way the title for the blog and video are worded is just reprehensible to me. He's reduced fast acting insulin needs by depriving his body of needed nutrients, so instead of any cure, he's likely creating further problems down the road while perpetuating an unreasonable fear and stigma of insulin.

I have to agree that a diet leaning toward a more typical raw, whole food diet is probably healthier, but we make choices. My kids and I might eat that way 70 - 80% of the time, and then it's just time to enjoy some good old fashioned home baking, or whatever strikes our fancy. I figure that's part of addressing mental health, and it's something we enjoy together as a family. Don't you wonder if and how his beliefs might change once he has a family, kids, and maybe his own type 1 child?

17. thebestnest5

thebestnest5 Approved members

If a body isn't making insulin (confirmed by C-peptide) and antibody testing, then are they actually implying this raw food diet will cause the body to start producing insulin???? Dangerous claims.

I was just searching for information on price gouging for low blood sugar treatments...way off this topic.:rolleyes: Google listed this on page 1.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2011/jun/24/low-calorie-diet-hope-cure-diabetes

18. bandmkolb

bandmkolb Approved members

I actually received the video "Simply Raw" in the mail from an acquaintance. I got it two days after bringing my son home from the hospital after diagnosis. I just told her thank you but I am more apt to listen to the endocrinologist. To be honest I already new at that point that there was no cure so I did not put much thought into it.