- advertisement -

Green Smoothie Girl promoting "healing" of t1d with diet

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by SarahKelly, Nov 20, 2011.

1. SarahKelly

SarahKelly Approved members

2. SarahKelly

I just want to know how people equate not needing insulin to being "cured" that just makes no sense to me. Strange logic.

3. Butterfly Betty

Butterfly Betty Approved members

A "friend" put this on my FB profile, then argued with me about how her friend who is a diabetes educator told her it would work.

4. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

He's been Type 1 since 2005 and his bgs were in the 300's consistently? Yeah, he's the doc whose professional opinion I'll value :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

5. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

Crazy making actually! I mean, I would have been fine with it if they had claimed that they could level blood sugars and reduce insulin usage/lower A1C, whatever. But to say they CURED Type 1 is totally irresponsible! They did NOT cure Type 1, they simply reduced the need for added insulin. If you can handle this type of diet I say good for you, but your body still is not able to produce insulin naturally, so you still have Type 1 and to say otherwise is so irresponsible.
    Even the gentleman in the video refers to something about getting sick and needing to change things up...I can only assume he needs insulin then?

What got me was he stated his 'average' blood sugar was 300 before starting this diet...helllooooo, an AVERAGE blood sugar of 300 is not exactly the standard of care.

Poorly executed story. Too bad in some ways, as I actually do believe there are huge health benefits to a raw diet. No one in my family (self included) has the fortitude to pull it off though...we're pretty fond of the other food groups that include bread, butter, and animals.

6. JackyH

JackyH Approved members

Raw food or no food - he still needs basal insulin - where is he getting that from? Oscar went from 8am to 5pm without eating anything today but still had 9u of basal in that time - without that he would have been 400-500. I find these claims very hard to believe or even understand.

7. MamaBear

MamaBear Approved members

Snake oil salesman. Those folks have been around for ages trying to sell a bottle of nonsense that cures everything from consumption to eczema to blood impurities and headaches . :rolleyes: Only now they can reach more people because they have internet instead of horse drawn wagons. :p

8. SarahKelly

I agree, to me it is a travesty though because I remember that false hope I felt when I would look online for information and get these videos/articles. I try hard to help other parents of newly diagnosed to stay away from this crap, it's just too bad that the internet is such an easily tool for these slimeballs!

9. MamaBear

MamaBear Approved members

It really is too bad, especially because they do show up right away in searches and I'd hate for anyone to feel that false hope. Luckily for me I was given these sort of tips by relatives over the phone when we were still in the hospital, and I asked the doctors and everyone about those suggestions right then and there. Boy was I disappointed to learn that there were no magic beans after all. :(

These sort of people, these snake oil salesman are just disgusting. Predators really.

10. lisamustac

lisamustac Approved members

Not sure why this one got me so mad :mad: probably because in the comments she says there is debate about type ones no longer being able to insulin. I would like to choke her with a green smoothie :)

11. Adrienne

Adrienne Approved members

I hate when people do this! I posted Livie's crazy numbers on Facebook Friday and one of my "friends" got into a hot debate with me about how his product (Visalus) would allow Livie to not have to take ANY type of insulin. I tried to be polite at first, but he kept in on me about how if I were a good mother, I would give my daughter this chance at a life. He also posted YouTube videos and said that was all the proof I should need. As if this disease isn't a beast enough, we have to deal with these people?:mad: I think that it's also pretty irresponsible to proclaim this misinformation. What if I had been stupid enough to believe him (and you know someone out there is)? The results could have been disasterous for my daughter. UGH:mad::mad::mad:

12. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

If you made the choice to post your daughter's numbers on a site like Facebook, then you really shouldn't be surprised when you get stupid comments. Do you really expect everyone out there to know all the details about a disease like diabetes?

To the OP, I understand your frustration but why would you put a link to this ridiculous site. You are, in a sense, promoting it and driving trafic to that site.

13. AlisonKS

AlisonKS Approved members

ugh I'm too tired to comment on her site, what a bunch of b.s. Someone from the tree of life (the raw food center, you spend money to go there and get your supposive cure) sent me a pm asking if I needed help getting more veggies in my son. He ASSumed that was a problem since he has diabetes. We're vegans. I don't think that if I don't cook our meals he'll be cured.

PS that other "type 1 diabetic" she refers to, can't spell his name-they were a family of type 2's. I read his biography on the internet and he was talking about how fat they all were, all the crap they ate. I have the added bonus of that family being local so I get to hear about it all the time! Yay me! I'm glad our local vegan group is run by a physicians assistant who has seen Tony as a kid and in a medical setting, so I feel safe that if an idiot like that joins she'll tell them to STFU.

14. SarahKelly

Christopher-like I said earlier for me these sites that promote healing were a huge issue when Isaac was first diagnosed. I believe that if I can help to get some of this nonsense removed that people will hopefully find better information about living healthy with diabetes rather than chasing false cures. I don't care if it brings a million hits to her site, but since you do don't click on the link.
    Have a fab day :)

15. Christopher

I understand. So by having people go to that site, how are you getting the nonsense removed? Just curious.

I didn't.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2011
  16. AlisonKS

AlisonKS Approved members

17. Adrienne

Adrienne Approved members

Oh, it wasn't his initial comment to my post that bothered me. But when I politely stated that I didn't, nor would I ever believe that any nutritional suppliment would make my daughter's pancreas start working again, he should have left it at that. It was the 20+ comments he made AFTER that, running me into the ground about what a crappy mother I am for not giving my daughter this "chance" that p*issed me off.

18. mocha

mocha Approved members

In general-

I think part of learning to recognize the nonsense means having to actually look at it, or at least observe it in some context. In order to know what bile these false hope givers are spreading, you do have to understand their arguments, which often involves listening to them. Once you know the arguments, then you can formulate a response.

That being said, I honestly want to smash my head into a wall every time someone sends these to me. They are all the same, really. "Consume my product and you'll be cured!" The product is the only thing that really changes. Sometimes it's tea, other times it's a magic pill, and this time it's a smoothie.

I cannot for the life of me figure out why people feel the need to send this crap to me and to you. Don't they think that if there was a cure, we would be the first to know about it? Don't they think we would have already tried it? Don't they think that we already scour the internet and all other media searching for a glimpse of hope? Don't they think?

These same people tell us that the big pharma and the doctors are all in on it together and refuse to tell us that there is a cure because they want to keep making all the money. Really? I mean, really? I think if there was a cure out there, someone would have more money than Bill Gates and would be famous. If I knew the cure to diabetes or to cancer or to the common cold or to any disease, I would be shouting it from the rooftops. I would be trying to get it out to as many people as possible. And I think big pharma and the doctors would too. If you're that cynical about them and truly think that they solely work for money (which is another debate entirely), then at least think of how much money they would be making off a cure--all the patents, all the people purchasing the cure, all the tours and conferences explaining the breakthrough, all the new grants, all the money being thrown at them...it makes no sense to keep it a secret.

19. Christopher

I don't blame you. With friends like these......

20. swellman

swellman Approved members

Quoted for truth.