- advertisement -

Greeeaaatt...

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by dejahthoris, Jun 14, 2011.

1. dejahthoris

dejahthoris Approved members

Last edited: Jun 14, 2011
  2. kimmcannally

kimmcannally Approved members

And I quote "She really needs her license revoked. People with medical conditions that cannot or do not control it must not drive !! I hope the authorities are intelligent enough to mandate her not driving."

Oh boy! I sure hope this doesn't start a firestorm against diabetic drivers.

3. deafmack

deafmack Approved members

Here in Washington if one loses consciousness while driving their license is suspended for 6 months to 1 year and then they have to get medical approval to say they are safe to drive again.
    The thing is if this person is known to lose consciousness on a regular basis she should have the decency not to drive at all. I had to take my Sister's keys away from her. I know how hard this is but it was necessary for her safety and that of others.

4. Sue too

Sue too Approved members

Diabetic Coma ?!? What a stupid term.
    My 16 y/o is now waiting for our state?s ?all knowing? DMV to give her permission to even take the test to obtain her permit. When she was turned down last week, he said, ?the medical forms need to be completed by her doctor so they know she won?t go into a Diabetic Coma while she is driving.? The ignorance of some agencies is astounding.

5. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

I think this article is proof that it isn't ignorance on the part of the DMV to require documentation for driving. Our kids CAN pass out from extremely high or extremely low blood sugars. Extreme vigilence, which clearly wasn't demonstrated in the case of this truck driver, is required in order for our children, as well as other people on the road to be safe to drive. I don't want someone driving on the road with me and my kids beside them, with diabetes or not, if they have a history of passing out - for whatever reason

6. JeremysDad

JeremysDad Approved members

Maybe she was hypo-unaware and went so low and passed out. We do not know the whole story. Was she low? Did she have a CGM that would have told her she was going very low? Maybe she passed out due to another condition and it had nothing to do with diabetes.

I think there are a lot of unanswered questions that should be answered before putting the blame squarely on diabetes.

7. dejahthoris

dejahthoris Approved members

She did go into a diabetic coma and went to the hospital and was released the same day with no further injury. It happened really close to my home. I was just surprised it was picked up by Natl news

8. maryellen816

maryellen816 Approved members

What most likely happened is that she had an insulin reaction. Diabetes did not cause her to drive into the pool, the side effect of insulin did.

9. wilf

wilf Approved members

Notwithstanding the fact that the reporter and/or authorities got the medical terminology wrong, the fact is that a person with diabetes passed out and drove into a pool full of people. No one was killed or injured, but the potential was certainly there.

Should people with diabetes have more stringent requirements for licensing? I think they should. Should people with diabetes who have a history of passing out drive? No.

A quick google search shows that at least 3 people with diabetes drove into pools in the last in the past year and a half..

The articles don't distinguish between Type 1s and Type 2s in the above incidents, but the potential is there for both types of diabetes.

10. JeremysDad

Most news stories don't distinguish the difference. Diabetes is diabetes and you get it from eating too much sugar.

I agree about more stringent licensing requirements. The licensee should have to show that they have exhibited good BG control for the past XX months. Like good grades in school, good BG control shows a higher level of responsibility.

This is not to say that the woman who crashed didn't have good control. Someone mentioned that she had a reaction to insulin. It can happen to any T1 but good BG control does reduce the odds that the illness will cause problems behind the wheel.

11. Tigerlilly's mom

Tigerlilly's mom Approved members

I am assuming that this is NOT your opinion but the opinion of news stories in general????

12. emm142

emm142 Approved members

According to this article, a study showed that 19% of people with type 1 had at least one auto crash in the preceding 2-year period compared with only 8% of their non-diabetic spouses.

Assuming that their statistics are representative and that it was actually the diabetes and not some other factor that caused the PWDs to crash more than their spouses, that would mean that PWDs are at almost 2.5 times increased risk from car accidents than the average driver.

According to this site, male drivers 16-23 are at a 4 times increased likelihood of car accidents compared with the average driver.

So, anyone who thinks that people with diabetes should not be able to drive should seriously think about reconsidering their position on male drivers aged 16-23... ;)

13. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

Emma - I'd be ok with male drivers of that age not driving. They are often complete terrors on the road

I don't have a problem with a person with diabetes driving. I have a big problem with someone with a history of blacking out driving - whether its from diabetes, epilepsy, narcolepsy, or drunkeness. They are a danger to me and my family on the road, much like the males 16-24! :)

14. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Yeah, I completely agree with you. My comment was more expressing my frustration with some of the people commenting on the article (many of whom are probably males 16-24! :p) although I haven't posted it there because I doubt it will change anyone. I am very cautious about my BGs when driving, and certainly wouldn't feel comfortable with it if I had a history of blacking out.

15. JeremysDad

Ha ha. Actually I shoulda followed my quote with a roll eyes or a smiley or something indicating my sarcasm. Unfortunately so many people believe it and will continue to believe it. My mother still believes that you get diabetes from consuming too much sugar. I probably would too but being a father of a T1 son, I know better.

So yes, your assumption that it is not my opinion is correct :)

16. Judy&Alli

Judy&Alli Approved members

deleted....

Last edited: Jul 7, 2011
  17. MamaBear

MamaBear Approved members

I'd be ok with that too!