- advertisement -

Great Wolf Lodge Bday party

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by roo'smom, Sep 27, 2012.

1. roo'smom

roo'smom Approved members

My 10 year old dd was invited to a birthday party at Great Wolf Lodge - sleepover. We've done sleepovers before - she brings her phone and I'll call her when it's time to test over night, etc. What I'm worried about for the party is the possibility of losing a site. My dd doesn't know how to put on a new site, or how to do a shot, nor is she interested in learning at this point. Any suggestions as to how to handle this?
    I was thinking of putting an extra site on her so that if one comes out she'll have a spare, but I'm not sure how a site that isn't being used on a regular basis would fare.
    GWL is about 50 minutes away, so in a pinch I could make the drive up. It's not a question of letting her go (if she didn't have D she would be allowed to go, so I have to figure out a way to make it work), but how best to handle it. Open to any and all suggestions...

2. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

I think you just have to be prepared to go up and put a new site on if need be. Does she do okay being disconnected for long stretches? Waterparks are a disaster for us.

3. Tigerlilly's mom

Tigerlilly's mom Approved members

When my son has gone away for the weekend, I have put a "back up" site on him and one time he did need it, and it worked fine.

I am also always ready to make the drive if for some reason the "back up" site doesn't work out...full tank of gas, supplies that would be needed packed and ready to go.

Hope she has a great time!!!

4. liasmommy2000

liasmommy2000 Approved members

I would be ready to go if needed. IME sites almost always come off. Putting an extra site on might help but it could also come off.

Of course at that age, depending on the child's personality and how much time you have before the party, I might try telling her that if she wants to do things like this without you hanging about, that she needs to learn to change her site. Of course again, it depends on the child and the time you have. I wouldn't be hardcore, but I would gently push.

5. heypb

heypb Approved members

We had site issues during our shore vacation week. Typically, we use tegaderm over the site. But several sites peeled away with all the ocean swimming, so we reinforced it with the only other thing that we had, a couple of Scooby Doo 3m Nexcare bandages. They didn't budge.

After quick search on drugstore.com, I realize now they are advertised as waterproof.

Good luck.

6. 22jules

22jules Approved members

Get mastisol for the site--best adhesive in water imo. Hope she has a blast!

7. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Waterparks have always been a problem for us. I don't know what it is with the water, but the sites peel off. We always put on IV 3000 for extra security. In your case, I probably would put on an extra site, and be prepared to go up if needed.

Would the hosting parent be someone who is willing to do a site in the event of an emergency, or at least give a shot?

8. roo'smom

roo'smom Approved members

Thanks for the replies. She's usually ok when she's unhooked at waterparks - tends to run low, although I sometimes do a shot of levemir in the am if I know we're going to have a day that she's unhooked a lot.
    I might be able to convince her to learn how to do a shot of levemir (we have the pen for that, although I usually draw it into a syringe b/c she prefers them) but I don't know about the site. She has been diabetic since age 3 and is 10 now, but does not want to do a shot or a site. She wears the pod on occasion (skin issues with it so she can't wear it full time) and can do a pod insertion.
    Mastisol is out - skin issues with that, as with almost all of the skin adhesives.
    I'll talk to the mom about learning how to do a site and a shot, I just feel like that's a lot to ask of another parent. I know her, but not extremely well. We have a couple weeks to work with, so I'll see where everyone stands when the party rolls around. Worst case scenario, I end up driving up there.

9. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

I'd probably go with the plan of driving up it's probably easier for all. But, I would get your daughter to be comfortable with the fact that there may be a time she might need to give herself a shot. Scenario. What if her set has fallen off and she is waiting for you to arrive, but they are getting ready to eat. You have just left the house so it's an hour before a bolus could be given. I'd explain to your daughter that yes, she could wait until you arrive, but that she runs the risk of feeling lousy after from the resulting high bg from all the fun party food.

My daughter has had D since age 4. She hates shots, but does know how to do them in the event of an emergency. As for calculating, we have her unplug and run the calculation through the pump so she knows what to dial up and we have an IOB history. Maybe you can work with your daughter on that?

Hopefully this won't happen, but it's good to plan for worst case scenario.

10. sooz

sooz Approved members

Sending a couple of pods along to use in case of emergency might be the answer since she knows how to do the insertion. Good luck!

11. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

I don't know if other people have this problem, but our biggest issue with swimming and sites (other than being disconnected, which is its own issue) is that if a site comes off and we put a new one on, it just does not adhere very well if it is immediately exposed to water. It's like it needs a few hours to fully attach or something. I do like the idea of having her put on a Pod for back-up, but I don't know if that would be an issue or not.

12. emm142

emm142 Approved members

I haven't experienced this problem with swimming in particular, but I think that body heat helps the adhesive to stick firmly. I know for me that if a site rips off accidentally, it is almost always within the first hour of sticking it on.

13. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

Big waterproof Band-Aid "Tough strips" worked fantastically for us at the water park this summer. Made a "window" around the site so we could connect and disconnect. That site did not budge at all.

Good luck!:cwds:

14. Our3girls

Our3girls Approved members