- advertisement -

Great visit with Endo..

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by vallecito93, Mar 3, 2008.

1. vallecito93

vallecito93 Approved members

Where we live we only get to see our endo every 6 mo unless we travel 8 hours to see him. I wish we lived closer but our family dr. does an awesome job helping us too. Only being 9 mo into D there are still tons of ?'s we have. He gave us a tip and wanted to see if any of you have used it and what your results were. We tried switching DD lantus to an a.m. dose and that caused her to sky rocket during the day. Dr. didn't like that so we went back to lantus at p.m. and nph in a.m. She still wakes up a little low in the a.m. and he said make sure she gets her evening snack. Any way the tip he gave us was to put 1 tsp of cornstarch in her juice, pudding or milk at her eveing snack to help her maintain a constant glucose level through the night. He wanted us to try this before we made any adjustments to the insulin. The night before last it worked, i think. Last night she fell asleep at 6:30 so we didn't get a snack in but she woke up at 124 this a.m. It is hard to tell if it is the cornstarch or just her body adjusting. He said she is coming out of her honeymoon, so I am not sure.

Anyway just wondering if any of you have tried the cornstarch.

Thanks for reading.:)

2. payam7777777

payam7777777 Approved members

i here dont get it. you're on both lantus AND nph?
    as for corn starch as far as i know it's used to counteract the peak of nph in the night, but you are not using nph in the night! you're using lantus in the night and if you have a drop during the night i believe you can simply reduce the lantus dose.