- advertisement -

GREAT sympathy for parents dealing with puberty and D kids

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Midwestmomma, May 1, 2011.

1. Midwestmomma

Midwestmomma Approved members

OMG !!!:eek::eek: If you are going through what I am this past week with a preteen and Puberty stricken boy...OMG !!:eek::eek: He is 12...gonna be 13 end of May.

I have began to wonder if Insulin is the strength of water lately in him !! I cant get things changed fast enough !! I get him down to low 200's-highish 100's....then BAM !! Back up to 300-400's.... This past week has been He!! and we leave this coming Friday for a 2 day class trip that he WONT be in my motel room Friday night:eek:

At what age does this simmer down and become somewhat "normalish"???
    I have sprang 30 gray hairs this past week and have slept about 2 hours a night for this past week....

2. Michelle'sMom

Michelle'sMom Approved members

According to our endo things will straighten out for good around age 18. DD will be 13 the end of June. I'm hoping my sanity will last that long.

I'm convinced there was a mixup in our last refill of insulin. I'm positive they gave us water.:D

3. chbarnes

chbarnes Approved members

Well, Chris is 14 and has really been hitting the growth spurts since the first of the year. I have gone from changing his basals and ratios about every three days to changing them almost every day. About three weeks ago I lost the trail altogether and had to start over, from scratch, with no assumptions as to what anything should be. There have been days he was getting 2 units an hour.
    Now this week everything is dropping. The I:C ratio that worked fine yesterday, dropped him into the 60s this morning. I actually like nighttime the best. Armed with his CGM, Apidra, and my chronic insomnia, I can get him into a good range for several hours before the roller coaster starts up again in the morning. Another post asked what number we want at bedtime - I don't care! I just want him to stop eating and go to bed. That is the only time I can get things back under control.

4. KatieJane'smom

KatieJane'smom Approved members

Oh, honey! Be prepared for many more of those gray hairs. You've got several years to go so my best advice is to stock up on Miss Clairol.

5. bibrahim

bibrahim Approved members

I think I am going through the same thing with DD. One day she's high, one day she's low, then when you throw bad sets in, it's murder. Today she actually baked and still went low. Yesterday was highs and ketones from a bad set. Maybe with a girl at least eventually I will see a pattern.

6. Midwestmomma

I have heard other of you parents say that D is just awful with girls and puberty....BUT HOLY CRAP !! The only number we had decent today....a 189 with 3.09 IOB with an hour left... He just checked again...368 again !!

I am doing SF slushies, SF Jello, cheese sticks, ham/cheese roll ups, pickles.....and still cant get a pattern to ANYTHING !! Cant do pepperoni as a free....FAT spike there for him.:rolleyes:

I have upped basals again tonight...over 1.0 now for a few hours... I just checked his basal/bolus ratio....basal is about 45% right now. I glanced I think at 2 day history...and corrections were like 4-5 units average for those days. He is getting like 50 units a day now...where less than 2 weeks ago, he was getting about 35-40 units a day...

:eek::rolleyes::(:mad:

7. GinaB

GinaB Approved members

I can totally relate to this. Joseph eats all day long every day and never the same two days in a row. It's impossible to figure out any pattern or how he reacts to specific foods. Doctor says only six more years to go!

8. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

Highs and lows say rebounds to me...

Are you sure it's puberty and not bad insulin or rebounds? Have you tried switching the vial out? Has it gotten warmer there recently?

9. kiwiliz

kiwiliz Approved members

With girls it evens out around 13! Boys must be a bit later because they have their growth spurts later. Sorry!:eek: I don't know how you would manage without a cgms. We have had insulin needs nearly double within a couple of weeks. By the way -you just have to lump the horrible HbA1c's around this time. Absolutely nothing you can humanly do about it!

10. Midwestmomma

No lows after a high here.....pretty steady of 200-300+ :(

New Insulin, not really drastic weather change...today its a high of 58 outside. I even have done site changes...not helping. On April 1st he went to Endo and she said then....to watch out...we were in the midst, and it was gonna get worse before it got better...:eek::eek: He was an "early" bloomer into puberty...as in somethings started at age 7-8 yrs. old. before D was in the picture...:( Heather, I have even tried the "trick" you had me try a while back on him when we talked on the phone...it wont work either. He woke this morning @ 260...after me staying up till 1am doing corrections and he was down to 307 then... I got up at 3am to do a check then...I forget now what he was..

11. ShelbysMom

ShelbysMom Approved members

PUBERTY IS A NIGHTMARE!!

Have had the same issues with DD that have nearly sent me over the edge. Things that work for us to help:

1. Creeping up the basals. For us, corrections and boluses seemed to do nothing during these times. Increasing basals in small steps was the only thing that helped. Sounds like thats what you're doing.....

2. CGM with increasing basals. Obviously, we are reluctant to increase basals b/c we're scared of lows. Before CGM, I was very reluctant, b/c I wasn't sure if there were lows and rebounds happening that were causing highs. You can do alot to rule lows/rebounds out with a CGM (although not perfect).

3. Short term temp basals. We just starting using these, but during the day, its helpful for us to get down the 300-400's faster without shooting right back up. We might put in a 2 hour +30% percent (130% on Minimed) basal after a really high reading along with the correction. I still only do this during the daytime and not at night especially not after a more permanent increase in basal. Just me.

4. Praying to keep your sanity. My Aunt whose daughter was diagnosed as a child told me that "All you can do is your best with the tools you have". At the time when she told me that, I thought sarcastically, "That's real helpful", but once I really thought about it.......its true.

5. Know that it won't be this way forever and remind your son of that as well if he gets discouraged. My DD is very sensitive emotionally to whether her sugar is in range or not. During these rough spots, I remind her that this is not how things will be in the future.

6. Keep working to get him lined out at night. IMHO its sometimes a losing battle during the day when they are stuffing food in their mouths every hour.
    I try not to limit food (although I have on occasion) because they are growing, active kids. But, if you can get a reasonable BS during the night, you can have a significant affect on a1C.

7. Basal testing after basal changes. I don't like to make my daughter skip any meals, but she doesn't seem to mind missing breakfast from time to time. We will have a 6" Subway sandwich, usually with baked chips (to keep fat content down) for supper (try to eat before 6:00pm) and then watch during the night. If she can, we skip b'fast and try to make it to lunch. That gives a good chunk of time to see when the basals are increasing.

For us, these things happen in stages. Her numbers will go crazy, we adjust and get them decent (this may take weeks) and then we have a little bit of time where she's pretty good. Then it starts all over. We've gotten better at adjusting over the years.....especially with CGM. Hang in there.

12. ShelbysMom

ShelbysMom Approved members

Guess I forgot when posting who the OP was.....think you've replied to many of my posts with the same tips:)

Still hope things get a little easier for ya'll real soon.

13. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

I sent you a pm:cwds:

14. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

Okay, now you've all got me scared!!:eek: We're a long way from puberty--but is it ALWAYS like this?? Is it at all like menopause--some are better than others??:confused::p

15. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

My son is now 17. He is as tall as he will be, but has not filled out as he still quite thin. (6'3.5" and 155 lbs)

He didn't particularly have increased insulin needs at puberty. He went up to about 80 units a day, whereas now he is around 50. Once I recognized patterns where he needed insulin changes and accepted the fact that adjustments are a way of life, it was much easier.

Persistent highs are really helped a bunch by basal adjustments, as are persistent lows.

16. PatriciaMidwest

PatriciaMidwest Approved members

Yep...it's quite humbling. Things are a little better at 14, but we still get blindsided by these crazy times where everything changes all at once without warning - not as often but it's still there. Then you add the constant eating and the "whatever" teen attitude on top of it and I think we all deserve medals for making it through this! It's tough on them too, no doubt about it.

17. MamaBear

MamaBear Approved members

I think we are going through this right now too, but hard to say since he just got over a cold a few weeks ago. We have had 3 nonstop weeks of highs,the week he was sick he only got into the 200s. But this past week has been the worst has been this week,especially this weekend, he's been in the high 200s and visiting the low 300s. Saturday he had a total of 7 corrections. Never had to give so many before,most were overnight. I have chnaged Lantus 3 times the past few weeks, and meal doses twice and still cannot get decent numbers, and the corrections are not working. He is sitting out of PE right now after his 2nd correction at school. Just in time for his A1C tomorrow. :(