- advertisement -

great story

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by sam1nat2, Jan 20, 2011.

1. sam1nat2

sam1nat2 Approved members

Sam's coach is actively involved in D research, he has started a foundation to raise money to fund research for some of the drs at Barbara Davis who are working towards a cure.
    He sent us an email asking if he can share his and Sam's story and would Sam be interested in being in the ad campaign.

Sam was recruited to be on a competitive football team. We had no idea, nor did the coach, what would come of the relationship. Its one of those feel good stories----coach recruits a kid, kid has D (which coach found out about at first practice), D kid comes in and earns a starting position and leads the team to its very first championship!! This coach has coached 16 years and never won--shameless mommy brag---Sam was starting QB, and middle linebacker, played entire game minus one play, scored 2 of the 3 touchdowns to win:D

Something brought us together, I'm constantly amazed at what is going to come from it (the relationship). If Sam and his story can help raise money to find a cure---all the better!!

2. sooz

sooz Approved members

you must be so proud of him!! this is terrific!

3. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Sam's coach is a wonderful man :) Its people like that that kids remember when they grow up and become famous football players. The people that believed in them and inspired him. Of course it starts with the parents, always :cwds:

4. sam1nat2

sam1nat2 Approved members

Becky, interesting perspective about how it always relates to the parents.

Dh was telling me about how this coach had mentored a boy on the team whose parents were going through a messy divorce. This coach had a "rough" upbringing and he wants to make a difference:cwds: He stepped in and did his best to be there for this boy when the parents were too consumed with their own lives.

Us CWD'ers as a group are very involved parents or we would not be on this site;) Unfortunately there are lots of kids who turn to other means when parental involvement is lacking, thankfully coaches like this are still around. (as opposed to the other type of coaches that it turns out I had:eek:)

The coach in his most recent email said that the Susan G Komen race has been canceled for lack of involvement---anyone else heard that?? coach's ideas are to create a viral campaign for type 1 D. I don't get here as much anymore, but I'll be sure to post what I can on FB