- advertisement -

Great News 3 months after diagnosis

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Joel K, Jun 20, 2012.

1. Joel K

Joel K Approved members

We just received a call from our Endocrinologist giving us the results of our first A1C after diagnosis for my now 10 year old boy. At diagnosis he was 13.5. While he was sick he was not real sick, we had caught it just in time as he would have probably had to get admitted into Intensive Care within a few days. Anyways I am getting away from the real story, our goal was 8.5 to 7.5 and our nurse just told us that the lab they took on Monday cambe back at a 6.5! I was so happy. We have had sevral highs here in the past couple of weeks and I was worried it would give us a higher A1C, so getting a 6.5 seems pretty good. I may be getting ahead of myself here and I know we will probably fluctuate, but it was nice to get some good news. Thank goodness for the improvments that have been made in the insulins! Most of all I am proud of my son. He has handled this so well!

2. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

That is good. Usually once the child is diagnosed and starts using insulin you will see a reduction in the A1c, but that is a pretty big one. Just make sure that it is not due to him having a lot of really low lows. The best way to do that is to check his bg often.

3. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

Wow...amazing improvement and fantastic A1c for your first time out! You must be a quick learner.:) Congrats to both of you...keep up the great work!:)

4. FloridaMom

FloridaMom Approved members

That is WONDERFUL! Congrats on the great number! We actually went up after our first one. Ryan was 9.4 at diagnosis and went up to 10.0. I think we were so scared about the lows that we were scared to over-correct.

6.5 is awesome!

5. mom24grlz

mom24grlz Approved members

great job!! Sounds similar to my daughter. She was diagnosed with a 15.2 A1C and 3 months later it was 6.3%. I know a lot of people think she must have a ton of lows in order to get A1C's in the 6% range. Or be honeymooning. But the fact is she doesnt' have a lot of lows, and when she does have them they're mainly in the 60s with an occasional 50s. She's been dx over 2 years now and her A1C's have ranged from 5.9%-6.6%

6. 5kids4me

5kids4me Approved members

Congratulations! I know you are proud/relieved :)

For the most part, this is how it is for my son too.

7. mysweetwill

mysweetwill Approved members

Thats great, I remember when you posted when your son was just diagnosed. Sounds like things are going very well, I'm happy to hear it!

8. Joel K

Joel K Approved members

Thank you all. Yesterday was first day with the pen and so far I still don't like it. I think I did something wrong with both his dinner humalog and bedtime lantus. 291 at bedtime no ketones and 175 this morning. Maybe I had some flowback or something. I hope I can get a better feel for it today. I'm used to higher numbers at the end of the month of a prescription but usually I'm right back to normal when I start the new bottles. So I just have to get used to the bulkiness and pressing the button on the pen while not feeling like I am pressing to hard.

9. swellman

swellman Approved members

We tried pens at first and dropped them pretty quickly for two reasons. The main reason was that it didn't allow us to dose as precisely as we should have. The 1/2 U marking syringes gave us that. The second reason was that I felt we never got a good delivery for some reason - perhaps because of the low doses. That was over 5 years ago so perhaps pens have greatly improved since then.

10. sooz

sooz Approved members

As I recall with the pens, you are supposed to count to ten before you withdraw it. Good luck!