- advertisement -

great googly moogly..we're on day 6 of a sensor

Discussion in 'Continuous Glucose Sensing' started by frizzyrazzy, Dec 11, 2010.

1. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

and the sensor is still accurate! This past sensor makes me want to love CGM'ing. LOL. I'm going to restart the sensor in a bit - this will be the first time I've ever restarted the same sensor twice.

So, am I correct in understanding that on day 7 that our transmitter will die and need to be recharged?

2. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Yep. On day 7, exactly 7 days to the minute the green light first flashed on your transmitter when you connected, you'll start getting "weak signal" that won't go away. That's your cue that you need to disconnect and reconnect to get it going again.

3. frizzyrazzy

ok. I'll probably just disconnect at that point - I'm not sure if I could peel up this old tape and remove the transmitter without disturbing the sensor. though, if Ian's in a good mood about it, maybe we'll try it. I'm liking it since I gave such huge basal changes the other day. At least I can follow what I"m doing.

4. Diana

Diana Approved members

We don't really untape - I just pull the connection apart for a minute or so then reconnect it. Depends on how you tape, of course. We still don't have much luck though - it usually dies anyway on the 8th day. But we don't manage to get to the 7th day all that often.

Oh - I will add that if I actually wait until the sensor ends on the 7th day, then I have had to disconnect entirely and put the transmitter on the charger. But I can just do the quick version if I do it before the 7 days are totally up.

So, I'm not exactly sure what your issues have been, but I'll throw a brief version of my story out there. We had success early on (6ish days per sensor) that after a few months evaporated into not really being able to get 3 days on sensors. We changed sites, angles of insertions, manual vs insertor, new transmitter, at least 5 or 6 lots of sensors.

I spent hours on the phone with MM senior sensor geeks - and we all concluded that it wasn't the system or the sensors but something else on our end. They had me try two new things - different tape and tummy site.

Since changing those two things - we are back to 6ish days per sensor. The tape thing is weird - but tape is the one variable that I didn't keep track of. We switched from OpSite to Hypafix a few months in, but I don't know whether the tape switch coincided with when we started having problems. But we have easily made it past 3 days on every sensor since switching back to Opsite - even sensors from lots that weren't working at all for us before.

We used tummy for the Nav and Dex. Dex never worked for us on the arm. So it could just also be that our CGM sweet spot is the tummy. We have to do manual insertions there - but my son and I both like that better anyway.

5. frizzyrazzy

well, it's funny because after our switch from opsite to hypafix we were getting these weird 'tanking' situations at night where the sensor just bottoms out over and over. I've been watching it, and it's always on day 3 and occasionally on day 4. No other night does this happen to us. Usually by the next day the sensor has corrected itself but sometimes it happens again the next night. I thought it was from him laying on it weird, but why would it only be on those nights? Anyway, this was the first sensor in a long time that we restarted on day 3 and had no problems - that's why I was so excited.

So, when I restarted yesterday yesterday afternoon the sensor kept behaving weirdly and by last night - tanking all night. sigh.

So, I'm not sure if it is the hypafix or what. In other cases we haven't been having very good luck with accuracy since starting the hypafix either (until this last sensor). I know we can't go back to opsite - he rashes out too much and it's itching him by day 3.

So, it's not at all surprising to hear you're having similar weirdness.

6. Diana

Diana Approved members

Our accuracy has improved a lot also. Not that it was terrible before, but I did notice it was really good again since switching the tape and to tummy. I think that for whatever reason (tape or site) the sensor is just way more stable now and that leads to more reliable ISIGs and better calibrations.

Have you tried Tegaderm HP?

7. frizzyrazzy

not yet. I might have to give that a try. We've had such good luck with the hypafix, I thought, and I thought maybe we just a few bad sensors, since this last one worked so well.

8. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

We have some sensors that seem really sensitive to laying on it and I have to go roll him off in the middle of the night. Ugh
    Some of them don't seem to be bothered by that. I am using the same opsite on all.
    I really feel if they cannot get the problem of laying on it causing false lows I don't see how they can ever make a AP with any of these sensors. I have had this problem on all three brands of CGMs.

9. Diana

Diana Approved members

Michelle,

You could request a tape sample kit from MM. It has one piece of Tegaderm HP in it - probably good for one sensor!

10. HERMSman

HERMSman Approved members

Is this a Medtronic sensor and transmitter?

Wearing the sensor for 6-days is probably OK. But to wear it longer remember to recharge the transmitter. Once the transmitter runs out of energy it is dead and cannot be recharged PERIOD!

11. frizzyrazzy

what do you mean it can't be recharged? Ever?

is tegaderm like IV 3000?

12. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

I'm confused, it doesn't recharge like regular batteries? WHat it if don't use the transmitter for a while, will it not recharge?

13. Diana

Diana Approved members

The piece of Tegaderm HP I tried came in a rectangle like IV3000. It stuck much better though (IV3000 is worthless for us). The HP version of the Tegaderm is supposed to be hypoallergenic.

14. frizzyrazzy

I'm not sure if he's having an allergy to the tape though - more that when it starts to peel up it pulls at his skin and itches. I like that the hypafix is more meshy, so his skin can breathe. I think tegaderm would just be like having the hypafix.

I'm contemplating taping down the front of the sensor with opsite (so that it doesn't move) and then taping the rest with hypafix. That may be enough.

15. Diana

Diana Approved members

Opsite can be tricky for us. If I put too much tension on it (since it is stretchy), then it pulls at his skin and his skin gets irritated (as does he).

I'm still using Hypafix under the transmitter just because it seems more comfortable. I'm using Opsite over the transmitter but I'm not taping it down as securely as I was before - only over the back half and I'm not pulling it very tight at all.

MM told me the most important piece of tape is the one over the plastic part of the sensor. They said all the rest doesn't really matter - just comfort and personal preference.

16. frizzyrazzy

meaning to keep that sensor down and not wiggling? I figured as much. I also think we probably need to keep the transmitter taped securely to the sensor, but I've been contemplating leaving the back end of the transmitter non-taped down - so that it can breathe under it a bit....

17. Diana

Diana Approved members

Yes.

I don't tape over the sensor/transmitter connection any more. It makes it easier to disconnect the transmitter quickly without untaping if we make it to the 7 day restart.

18. frizzyrazzy

no fear of losing the transmitter? or getting the transmitter caught during changing clothing etc?

19. Diana

Diana Approved members

No fear about losing the transmitter. It is still taped down, and since I tape the back end down it can't really catch on anything. Originally, I was taping the connection because I was concerned about the re-start issue but we haven't had problems with that, so now I leave that part uncovered. There is still quite a bit of tape - I just don't cover the whole thing anymore.

20. denise3099

denise3099 Approved members

The older transmitter need to be recharges at day 7. The newer one still need to be disconnected, but not recharged, so you can leave it still taped in place but pull apart for a bit and then reconnect. I think the poster mispoke about not being able to recharge. He might have meant that you have to recharge it or you can't restart it. But that's not true on the newer versions (version 1.3 I think)