- advertisement -

grazing..

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Kaylas mom, Jul 8, 2010.

1. Kaylas mom

Kaylas mom Approved members

Kayla is having a really hard time not just eating all the time. She is becoming so crabby (well, more than usual for a 14 year old girl). I notice that she tends to try and get away with having more than her two 15 carb snacks a day (like 4 or 5 a day). She is so angry at D right now and yesterday said if she just had a pump this wouldn't be as hard. I think she picked that up at camp since we really haven't had the pump discussion too much yet.

The endo won't let us even attend pump classes until October. What do you all do to help with a starving child during the long boring summer??

2. MReinhardt

MReinhardt Approved members

With her 15 carb snack..is she getting any type of protein with that. Might want to explore that too. Chicken, turkey, other luncheon meats, hotdogs, cheese, peanut butter, slim jims.

With those proteins in mind, for snacking also, there is also dill pickles, lettuce, sugar free popsicle, veggies with a low carb salad dressing, peanuts, sunflower seeds.

Hope this helps a bit. I'm sure others will have idea's too.

3. kim5798

kim5798 Approved members

is there any problem with letting have more and taking a shot to cover it? Or maybe a bigger snack than 15 grams? She is growing...she may just be hungry!!

kim

4. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

I would say let her eat what she wants and do extra shots to cover. You don't need to be on a pump to treat like you are using one. The pump is easier to deliver the insulin, but a shot would do the same thing.

5. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Yep. The other thing you can do is to overdose for meals, knowing that she'll have a snack in the next couple of hours. Of course you have to be sure that she actually remembers to eat those carbs, but it's do-able, especially at her age.

6. Kaylas mom

Yes, she will take a shot if she wants something big. But what is more typical is.. popcorn here, granola bar there.. then a cookie, then watermelon.. all from 1 to 6pm. Like one snack an hour is what we are seeing her do.

7. Mimi

Mimi Approved members

Amanda is a grazer during the summer and she will take extra shots to cover what she eats.

Is Kayla not willing to take extra shots or is it that the endo hasn't provided I:C ratios for snacking outside of mealtimes and beyond 15 carbs?

You could investigate using other insulins like NPH and/or Regular that can be given in conjunction with a shot of humalog at a regular meal time. Because the peak times of these is later it would cover later snacking. However, it does require outside the box thinking and once the insulin is giving you are committed to consuming carbs at a later time. Wilf uses this sort of regimen with his dd, who likes to graze.

8. Kaylas mom

Thanks for the suggestions. I think Kayla is willing to take extra shots, but in her head she is thinking.. oh my 15 carb snack will hold me over and then an hour later is hungry again. and again and again, and then she is just mad at the 200's and mad at D for not letting her eat like she used to.

9. lil'Man'sMom

lil'Man'sMom Approved members

I would definitely try the extra shots or over-bolus. Towards the end of our MDI days we were treating the shots as if he was pumping.

10. kimmcannally

kimmcannally Approved members

We did the same. I downloaded and IOB calculator from integrateddiabtes and used it to figure IOB so Jackson could eat when he wanted/what he wanted. Not as precise, as I had to round to .5 units, but a lot more flexible than when we started MDI.

11. GinaB

GinaB Approved members

Never could figure out why they limit snacks to 15 grams right after diagnosis when the kids are starving. Joseph had the hardest time with that. When we went for our three month check we asked the doctor about him eating more and she said it was no problem as long as we covered it. I'd call or email the doc and see if you can get the go ahead for eating more and correcting. It seems tome like a bigger snack would be better than worrying about stacking with multiple injections.

Good luck

12. AlisonKS

AlisonKS Approved members

Could be cause of the recent diagnosis, I remember my 1 year old eating like a grown man for months after he was diagnosed! Could she eat more at meals to tank up? If the 15 carb snack is not enough for my son we let him have a few raw almonds-or ask if he's asking to eat cause he's hungry of if he's bored. Sometimes he's just bored!

13. Kaylas mom

I think we are going to have her try to eat more at meals, or offering a dessert after lunch and dinner and counting it in with the meal. She did eat 1.5 cups of spaghetti tonight and made it all the way to 2 hours without eating again. She has always been a big eater.

14. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

I discovered with my son that I could give a shot for a meal that lasted 1-2 hours. He would eat most of the food up front and then have a snack after a couple of hours. The sugars stayed in range.

I think your daughter would enjoy eating larger planned snacks after every meal. This way, she doesn't need extra shots.

15. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

I had to go re-read this to make sure I didn't start/write this! You have just described my son to a T! I was reviewing his numbers recently and tossing around the idea with him about upping his Lantus as he was waking up really high every morning...he admitted that he'd probably been eating several 15 gram snacks between dinner and midnight/bedtime. I think they figure that as long as there is a tiny bit of time between "free" snacks, they are still free, not thinking of the cumulative effect.

I understand, but I have no solutions! It's not that they are unwilling to do an extra shot, it's that they don't really process the need at the time.

Some days he'll build in a tiny bit extra with his dinner shot and then makes sure he does eat several snacks, would that work, maybe at lunch since her grazing seems to be 1-5?

Just wanted to commiserate, this is SO familiar!

16. Kaylas mom

YES! This is exactly what I mean!

17. emm142

emm142 Approved members

If I feel like I'll want a snack, I overbolus a bit for meals even though I'm on the pump, because it also cuts down on the post meal spike. It's easier with the CGMS, but at dinner I usually eat say 50g carbs, and bolus for 65g. I watch the CGMS graph, and when it starts to drop (about 2 hours after dinner) I eat the 15g extra carbs I bolused for.

18. Luke's Mom

Luke's Mom Approved members

We too are anxiously waiting for a pump - but at our last endo appt - she said he's not ready for one - still honeymooning (ddx - 2/5/10) I guess ... In between meals he snacks on almonds and soynuts or dry roasted edamame (from costco)- or a cup of popocorn -- the protein does seemed to hold him over until his next meal -- and I always have unsweetened teas for him to drink !! I really encourage the drinking in between!!

Good Luck -

19. Big Hair Momma

Big Hair Momma Approved members

I think it's important to figure out how to make this work. You don't want food to become a battle. If she's willing to take the extra shot, over-bolus as needed or take an additional insulin that is medium acting, then that's a doable solution. Our mantra is " food in mouth, hand on pump". :) Maybe you could modify it to use as a reminder for your dd.

As an FYI, for most of my 39 years, this is the way I've eaten. I eat lots of little things through the day. Most often, lunch is my biggest meal. I don't know if it's healthy or not, but I've learned to eat when I'm hungry and stop when I'm full. I hope you can work this out. Good Luck!

20. Gilliansmom

Gilliansmom Approved members

is she drinking enough fluids also? my dd gets "hungry" but then we realize she hasn't had enough to drink. she also loves to graze, 4 chex mix here, a few pirate booty, then she's high and says its not from eating. I try to get her to eat some "free" stuff, like the string cheese is good and ham and turkey rolled up, the protein seems to help keep her BS more stable, but when she's in a stubborn mood and just wants what she wants, she gets so upset. she's a girl and almost 13, need I say more. Good luck.