- advertisement -

Gray Hair?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by KrisM2010, Jul 18, 2010.

1. KrisM2010

KrisM2010 Approved members

I am not talking about the gray hair you get from having a child with diabetes...My two year old was diagnosed at 18 months and is getting gray hairs at the age of TWO?? Could this be related to the stress of having diabetes? Has anyone experienced the same with their children?

2. emm142

emm142 Approved members

I seriously doubt that it's got anything to do with diabetes, and I've never heard of a kid that age getting grey hair from stress. It's normal for kids to get a grey hair or two occasionally, but if it's more than that I'd look into other possible causes.

3. BrokenPancreas

BrokenPancreas Banned

Two things come to mind.
    1. This can be a thyroid issue/symptom
    2. This can be a symptom of vitiligo.

4. lotsoftots

lotsoftots Approved members

I dont think its from diabetes either but if it makes you feel better I have found a few gray hairs, like 5 ro 6 on Samantha I have also found a few on Christopher my non d child, he is 6

5. Seans Mom

Seans Mom Approved members

Symptom of Vitiligo is my first thought. Not necessarily the right one though. lol
    Have you noticed any non pigmented spots on your childs skin?

6. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

Welcome, Chicagoan!
    My beard hairs started out white and gray and other colors, but I really don't know what would be happening with your daughter.
    To explain a little more about vitiligo, it's a group of diseases in which the body's ability to make pigment (color) is destroyed, usually in patches. The autoimmune form is fairly common among T1s (by fairly common, I mean a sizable minority, not most). I had thought vitiligo turned hair white, not gray.
    Nobody actually gets gray hairs from stress, according to what I've read, it's just that the non-gray, non-white hairs are more likely to fall out, so if your hair is a mixture and you're under stress, you'll have fewer of the more colored hairs which makes your hair look more grey.

7. Seans Mom

Seans Mom Approved members

From National Vitiligo Foundation website:http://nvfi.org/pages/info_vitiligo_basics.php#_1

WHAT IS VITILIGO?

Patients with vitiligo develop white spots on the skin that vary in size and location. The spots occur when pigment cells, or melanocytes, are destroyed and the pigment melanin can no longer be produced. Melanocytes normally occur throughout the skin, as well as in the hair follicles, mouth, and eyes. In vitiligo, pigment cells can be lost in any of these areas. Common sites of pigment loss are:
    Exposed areas: hands, face, upper part of the chest
    Around body openings: eyes, nostrils, mouth, nipples, belly button, genitalia
    Body folds: arm pits, groin
    Sites of injury: cuts, scrapes, burns
    Hair: early graying of hair of the scalp, beard or other areas
    Area immediately surrounding pigmented moles
    Back of the eye

However, this does not mean your child has vitiligo, nor does it mean there aren't other reasons for hair to turn gray prematurely. :) Just the first thing I thought of as it seems to be more prevalent in ppl with other autoimmune diseases,( or family history) and I'm familiar with it since my DH has had this condition since he was a small child.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2010
  8. Our3girls

Our3girls Approved members

My nephew was born with patches of white hair it is now dark but the skin is still lighter. The drs said nothing to worry about.

9. selketine

selketine Approved members

Early graying of the hair runs in my family - along with thyroid disease and type TWO diabetes (not type 1 - William is the only one). I think with thyroid disease it is linked to hypothyroid.
    I think it could just be genetic too and not a sign of anything.

10. Connie(BC)Type 1

Connie(BC)Type 1 Approved members

I'm 51 with Type 1, and JUST starting to go grey, and have never colored my hair(never will, I like grey)

11. KrisM2010

KrisM2010 Approved members

Thanks for all of the replies. We have recently visited our Pediatrician and Endo - both for routine appointments and neither of them have ever come across a two year old with gray/white hairs. Our thyroid panel was totally normal six months ago and the ped says no vitiligo, so we are going to keep an eye on it for now. I am going to tweeze them like I do to my own. :)

12. Michelle Denise Guy

Michelle Denise Guy New Member

I know is sometime since you made this post did you ever find out what was going on my daughter is 5 years old with type 1 diabetes and has Gray hair and has been since getting them since she's 3 years old