- advertisement -

Good source of glucose to keep in the car

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by KatieSue, Jan 24, 2014.

1. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

My daughters driving now and I'm trying to find something I can leave in her car that doesn't have issues with the heat. We had glucose tabs in there but they started to get kind of crystallized, she says they taste different but she's super picky so I can't say for sure that they really do or they look different so she says they do.

Juice boxes seem like they'd get gross in the heat. She doesn't like skittles as she says you have to eat too many.

Anyone had any luck with anything else?

2. Lakeman

Lakeman Approved members

I just throw some hard candy in the console and replace it periodically. Whatever my dd might be in the mood for - butterscotch, suckers, even smarties. If you leave them too long the wrappers stick. One also needs to be aware of cold. Starburst get really hard when they are cold. The best thing we did is to buy my daughter a purse which she carries around with her stuff in it.

Inside our house we keep candy near her bed and in the lowest drawer in the kitchen so that if she ever needed to get candy herself while alone it would be easy to reach. So far that has never been an issue but just in case...

3. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

We keep the glucose gel in the car. My daughter likes them when they are cold, luckily in the console they are insulated enough so they don't freeze. She hasn't complained about them when it's been warm.

4. KatieSue

I'll have to throw some gels in there. She keeps tabs in her purse but isn't the greatest at remembering to refill them so I want to make sure if she's out and about she's got something.

5. cm4kelly

cm4kelly Approved members

I would try rolls or smarties and glucose gel. I have heard of people also using Pixie sticks(the powder candy), but to be honest be have never used those. I would think they would be okay in the heat though.

6. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

S*m*a*r*t*i*e*s!!

7. Mish

Mish Approved members

When I bought a new car last year I tossed out gel and sugar packs that had been in my glovebox since 2005. I no longer keep stuff in the car. ;)

I keep a roll of tabs in my purse. And yes, my son also says that after they get "spotty' they taste different so I try to remember to rotate them.

8. Samuroot1987

Samuroot1987 Approved members

I see I am not alone when prasing smarties for there allmighty sugar rasing ability.

9. hdm42

hdm42 Approved members

Glucose tabs, smarties, sweet tarts all do fine in the heat and cold in the car.
    My son also likes the Sunkist fruit gems. They're individually wrapped, and I can get a big bag at BJ's. They are fairly soft, so I'm guessing they'd be ok in the cold but they might melt and get really mushy in the heat.

10. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

Is the Sunkist fruit gems like gummys? We get the Welch's fruit snacks at BJ's . Is that similar? I have to also find something for teen driver to leave in car.

I wonder if they would be as fast as Glucose tabs.

11. hdm42

hdm42 Approved members

They're sort of like gummys, but much softer. They're round and have a sugar coating. They're individually wrapped and have about 5 flavors. They seem to work really fast for my son, as fast as tabs. One is 8g, so it's much quicker than eating a whole bag of fruit snacks.

12. Jordansmom

Jordansmom Approved members

I think its important to remember there is a difference between what you would keep in the car for a child, versus what a teen driver should keep within reach while driving. Difficult packaging or wrappers could be a problem.

I know your DD doesn't like skittles, but for others who might be reading, my DD always keeps the cupholder shaped container of skittles in the cup holder closest to the drivers seat. Tabs and gel probably would be the easiest for a driver. My DD won't eat either though.

13. KatieSue

Thanks for all the ideas!