- advertisement -

Good news and Bad news

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Timmy Mac, Jul 26, 2012.

1. Timmy Mac

Timmy Mac Approved members

Hi everybody! I havent posted much recently so I decided I would give yall an update.

First the good news: I have managed to get my a1c to 5.6!!! This is the lowest it has been since I was diagnosed and my first one under 6! Woo hoo!

This was my first a1c since I started splitting my Lantus. I guess my changes are working! :D

Now the bad news: My dad's work switched insurance companies so I can no longer use Humalog :(

I found that one out while I was trying to get a refill and suddenly my prescription got denied! The pharmacist managed to get my insulin switched to Novolog, which IS covered. But so far, I really don't know what to think of it. They say its practically identical to humalog, but I'm not sure. It seems to cover food the same, but when I give a correction with it, my BG tanks! (like, I went from 230 to 53 in an hour with only 2 units. Humalog would NEVER do that to me.) Sooo.. at this phase I still feel like a labrat :(

and the "Ehh" news: My parents are officially divorced! After 8 years of this, this SHOULD be a good thing. However, we all still live in the same house :eek: Because of all the arguing, I am now the proud owner of some nice, noise canceling headphones! I am kind of regretting the decision to not move away for college.

So yeah, thats what is going on in my life, hows everyone else doin?

2. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

Maybe the Novolog will turn out to be a good thing and will lower your blood sugar faster.
    Congrats on the drop in your A1c, that's pretty big. Were you expecting it?

3. Joretta

Joretta Approved members

We never found a difference between Novalog and humalog. But keep track of BG for a few weeks then submit an appeal to the new insurance with what the average is verses what it was, along with an explanation.

4. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

Congrats on your most impressive A1C! That shows lots of hard work on your behalf.

Please keep us posted on your adjustment to Novalog. I find it interesting to hear how different insulins work for people.

5. Niaz

Niaz Approved members

Many congrats on your amazing A1c.:) It's in the range of non diabetic person's A1c . I'm a bit jealous of it :p;)
    You've been doing well Timmy, just observe how Novolog is acting. Maybe it would be more compatible than Humalog ....!

6. Timmy Mac

I wasn't expecting THAT much of a drop (my last was 6.6) But I guess it makes sense. Before I started splitting my Lantus, I was having to eat 40g uncovered carbs every night just to get a full night's sleep. That would cause my sugar to go around ~250 every night. If I lowered my Lantus, I was shoot up drastically during the day. Now that I'm splitting, I'm only seeing like a 15-20 pt drop over night, which is MUCH better :)

7. Arctic Stamp Queen

Arctic Stamp Queen Approved members

:)

Kudos to you on figuring out and making a change that really benefitted you and your health.

Keep a close eye on the Novalog change...we are getting ready to switch next month to Novalog for the same exact reason and I am really nervous about it for the reasons you describe. But I am thinking/hoping that we can log and track it to figure out how to make it work for us.

The parent situation has got to be rough...I am so sorry about that. Is moving to a college campus an option for you in the future?

8. Bigbluefrog

Bigbluefrog Approved members

We noticed with corrections we need less units with novolog.

Never used humalog.

Sorry about your parents, that is a tough situation.

I am impressed with your A1C, nice work. Keep focused on the good things in life.

9. Ronin1966

Ronin1966 Approved members

Hello Timmy Mac:

Your 5.6 concerns me deeply!

That number means your numbers are either picture perfect, ideal 24-7, 365... or you've got a boat load of dangerous lows and highs which averaging out to a number so "perfect" that A1c conversion calculators wont go that low...

So which one is it :confused: >

Given your description of crashing, I have my fears...

10. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Approved members

Endos advise having a1c?s like that prior to conception for women. I think there are T1 women who maintain low a1c?s like this during pregnancy also

11. steph

steph Approved members

for many people the ratio for novolog to humalog is .9. so you would only need .9 units of novolog for every 1 of humalog. I had to use this conversion when my daughter briefly switched to humalog bc she was high. My CDE also told me novolog tends to peak faster and leave the system faster than humalog.

http://www.ehow.com/how_5825036_convert-humalog-novolog.html

12. Timmy Mac

I THINK I finally figured out what was going on. My Lantus needs randomly decided to drop a few units on me. So when I took a correction, I would tank from having basals that are too high. I've got that one fixed and now my insulin needs are 1:1 with what humalog used to be... so yay!

About moving.. i AM planning on going to a 4 year school after I finish my associates at the community college. The school I want to go to is at least 3 hours away from home so hopefully I will be able to get away from most of this crap going on at home. Its still going to be 2 years in the future. I had to catch up on math so Its going to take me an extra year. Hopefully everything will go as planned and I will be free here in a few years.

I maybe have 1 or 2 under 60 low a week. In my 14 years of D I have neither passed out nor needed glucagon. That being said, I still don't have perfect bloodsugars. I would say I'm somewhere in between your two extremes (picture perfect or extreme lows/highs) I do have lows and I do have highs, but I try my est to keep myself around 120. My bloodsugars for today were:

220 at 10am (took 9u lantus and a 3u correction plus 5u for my meal)
    64 at noon (probably shoulda went with 2u instead of 3u, corrected with powerade)
    119 at 4pm (ate lunch, took a 8u for my meal)
    159 and 9pm (ate dinner, took 1u correction and 6u for the meal)
    and 196 at 11pm (took a 2u correction + night time 15u lantus, now I'm waiting to see what happens before going to bed)

Other than this morning, I'd say its about an average day for me. I usually don't have 40s out of nowhere, its just that at the time I was posting this thread, I was changing insulins, stressed, AND had a basal change for no reason. So while I appreciate the concern, I don't feel that I'm at any serious risks at the moment. :)

Last edited: Aug 6, 2012
  13. Arctic Stamp Queen

Arctic Stamp Queen Approved members

Support

Hugs and support to you. I hope that my son takes an active role in his health when he is a young adult like you.

Kudos on taking your schooling so seriously, I pray your next 2 years go quickly. Have you decided what you are going to major in?

Becky

14. deafmack

deafmack Approved members

Congratulations on your great A1C. As to having to change from Humalog to Novolog I know you will figure out how to tweak your insulin dosage so the Novolog will work for you. If it doesn't let your doctor know and have him write a letter of necessity explaining why you need to use Humalog instead of Novolog. One thing I do remember is that Novolog has a tail so it tends to work longer but I don't know if that affects everyone who uses Novolog.
    By the way, congratulations on going to college. I know you will do a great job.

15. Ronin1966

Ronin1966 Approved members

Hello

<<Endos advise having a1c?s like that prior to conception for women. I think there are T1 women who maintain low a1c?s like this during pregnancy

Fascinating.

-----------------
    Kinda doubting that Timmy is "preggo" though... :D

16. Turtle1605

Turtle1605 Approved members

Congratulations on that beautiful A1C! I've no doubt you will get Novolog all figured out!

17. Timmy Mac

this is the internet, anything can happen! :p