- advertisement -

Going up with Trace Keytones

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Kyra's Mom, Aug 2, 2011.

1. Kyra's Mom

Kyra's Mom Approved members

I have called the dr and am waiting for a call back but just wanted to see if I should be worried. Here are Kyra's numbers since bedtime on 07/31 and I just tested her and she has trace keytones:

7/31

22:04 106

08/01
    12:30 164
    3:33 241
    7:19 97
    9:30 124
    11:20 177
    14:30 276
    15:30 244
    18:23 74
    21:13 339

8/02
    12:44 307
    2:20 257
    7:25 116
    9:40 154
    11:20 236
    14:00 232

I have increased her insulin from 1/40 to 1/20 today and she is still going up as of lunch. Does this mean her Honeymoon is over?

She averages 40 carbs at each meal since her ratio is 1/40 we try not to go over that and her snacks are 20 carbs or less so she gets no insulin with those. I have also noticed over the last few days an increase in urine output.

Thanks for any input. I am a little worried that she all of a sudden needs more insulin.

2. Mom2Will

Mom2Will Approved members

The increased need for insulin happens, they need it give it, end of honeymoon or the planets are out of alignment, either way;).... Remember, however, that the rule (or the one I go by)is to wait 3 days before making any more changes and only change one thing at a time. Meaning don't change the Lantus and carb ratio at the same time because it will make it very difficult to figure out which one is off. Detailed logs always help me make changes. I will document "jumped on trampoline" or "watched a movie" and of course the carbs eaten and what kind of food so I can see the changes in blood sugars.

Hope this helps a little.:cwds:

3. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Yep, Cindy is spot on;) Does your daughter feel well? Could she be coming down with something? Oftentimes illness will cause blood sugars to rise and possibly ketones as well. I usually start with adjusting basal insulin first. If it seems like she's high in the morning and a couple hours after eating then she probably needs more lantus. You could up that then wait a couple days like Cindy said. Once that seems right you could work on adjusting the I:C ratios. She may need a little insulin now for snacks if it seems like the 20 carbs are making her go up alot. Maybe 1/2 a unit will do it or try to give smaller amounts of carbs then fill her up with some no carb foods like cheese or deli meat

4. Kelly.Marie

Kelly.Marie Approved members

or the planets are out of alignment, either way.

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it!

5. Lenoremm

Lenoremm Approved members

Could your lantus be bad? We have had this happen twice and when we change the vial out things go back to much the way they were before (I was going to say normal but nothing is normal with D). The heat of summer and the recent power outages have contributed to the problem around here. It should last for about 30 days after it is out of the fridge. I think it is more like 26 days though:rolleyes:.

Just a thought.

6. Mellie

Mellie Approved members

Hi Stephanie.

I was going to ask the same question as Becky as Ali's scores go through the roof when she's caught a bug.

Also, we had no central air until July 11 (we needed a new unit). I have noticed, and had it confirmed by some other T1s, that heat and humidity will bring scores up. I don't know if you have been having similar weather in KC as we've been getting up here in Canada, but it has been like a sauna in the great white North!