- advertisement -

Going to the "un" professionals :)

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Charmed7, Oct 28, 2010.

1. Charmed7

Charmed7 Approved members

Need some help here guys if you wouldn't mind being the little voice in my head ha ha.

A few months back, DS jumped his lantus from 10 to 15 within a few days and held good numbers for about a month, then started dropping low. I dropped his lantus a few times with middle of the night lows every night until I finally said, I'm just going back to 10. Sure enough, 10 worked and after a few weeks I had to go to 11 and he's been holding steady at 11. I chalked it up to one of those weird body phenomenons.

So...last night at dinner, he was 350+. Of course our first question was "Whaddya eat?" He said nothing. So I corrected and fed him dinner (nothing fancy, just a sandwich and potatoes) and he woke up 370+. <sigh> Ok, so I corrected and gave normal breakfast and at AM snack he was 52. Nurse gave snack + juice + bolus. Then at lunch he was 400.

So I called the endo, who he's been bouncing between RN's since his left the practice and the lady I talked to talked to me like I was a newbie and told me to log his sugars for 5 days so they can look for patterns. I'm not comfortable with DS's sugars at 350-400 for 5 days, so I'm coming to you all!!

Would you boost his lantus? Wait one more day?

With Halloweenie here, and two parties Saturday plus Treats on Sunday...this is not a good time to have to deal with this, but diabetes never cares, it does what it wants to.

TIA for your thoughts!!
    Love ya guys.
    C7

2. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

I'd wait another day. :)

3. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

could it be his ratios instead of lantus? with the 52, I'd be hesitant to adjust lantus again, maybe tweek his meal ratios?

4. Lee

Lee Approved members

I would wait 1 to 2 more days to make sure that it is a pattern and not illness coming on.

5. Charmed7

Charmed7 Approved members

Ok, another day it is!! Thanks guys. My intuition is pretty spot on and I was just not jiving with this dr and that makes me nervous.

DS doesn't go high during illness, so I'm not worried about that.

Thanks!!!

6. Abbysmom

Abbysmom Approved members

Wait 1 more day

The high at lunch could have been overtreating the 52. Besides I know with my child I can ask what she ate and might not get the whole answer :). I wait for a pattern to emerge and then you want to change only one varable very slowly and see if it helps and then make another very small change.

I have this same problem with my endo leaving my child high for a week before they have the time to do adjustments for me or because they are looking for a pattern. I started doing my own for this reason but it takes practice.

You might try finding a copy of Think Like a Pancreas.

7. Ispoli16

Ispoli16 Approved members

I would boost his lantus and change his ratio a little... Or maybe his correction factor? Give it another day and get a better feel for the pattern.

8. wilf

wilf Approved members

What were his numbers between the 350+ at dinner and the 370+ at breakfast?

9. Bigbluefrog

Bigbluefrog Approved members

I would check the insulin, is it expired? Then I recommend checking his bg after corrections. is it possible his correction factors are off?

The more data you collect, will help find a pattern or solution.

We had some crazy highs with growth. I could correct and it was difficult to stay in range.