- advertisement -

Going to Disney

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by alongoria, Jul 5, 2009.

1. alongoria

alongoria Approved members

I have read all the websites (disney with diabetes, etc), but I still have some questions. My biggest concern is the insulin in my daughter's pump going bad. I have frio, but it is the wallet and not the one for pumps. Has anyone ever went there with a pump not in a frio? Depending on what people tell me, we might go back on shots, I am just not sure and keep going back and forth. I just don't want something like that to ruin our time!

Thanks in advance for any help!

Autumn

2. bgallini

bgallini Approved members

The insulin in the pump should not go bad from the heat in FL, esp if you change the resevoir every 3 days.

3. alongoria

4. bgallini

bgallini Approved members

The pump is used to being right next to people's bodies at 98.6 degrees all the time. It should be fine at Disney.:)

5. alismom

alismom Approved members

We went with the Omnipod last summer. The insulin is in the pod, under her clothes. Never had a problem.

6. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

People live in the Florida and use the pump all the time. You'll be fine

7. Sorcha

Sorcha Approved members

We go to Disney annually, and have never used the Frio pump wallet. We do travel with a Frio for the extra insulin (to keep it cool when traveling until we get it in the fridge at the hotel). We change both sites and reservoir every 3 days, and have never had an issue with insulin and the heat on our trips. Just bring enough extra supplies, and syringes as back up (we've never needed them, but always bring them just in case) and you should be fine.

One tip - we typically bring a syringe into the park with us, just in case there was a site issue. We have all the supplies back at the hotel, but by keeping a syringe on hand we can travel light - in case the site came out or something, we can draw insulin from the reservoir and inject as needed until we can get back to the room and put in a new site. HTH!

8. alongoria

Thanks for the tips.

9. alongoria

I do realize that, but that most of those people don't go to Disney every day and stay out in the heat. I have done the off hand day out in the sun but never for that long.

Autumn

10. Connie(BC)Type 1

Connie(BC)Type 1 Approved members

I "always" use a fanny pack with an ice pack in it on hot days(all summer here)

11. simom

simom Approved members

We were just there in May. It was ridiculously hot. He ran high during the day - however, once he cooled down at night, his numbers improved - we did extra set changes just to be sure - but based on the difference in his numbers between the air conditioned comfort of the hotel, and the outdoor heat (same reservoir in the pump), I am confident that the insulin was fine - he is just a Minnesota boy who wilts in the heat like his mommy.

If I were to do anything different the next time, it would simply be to do a little swim or cool bath each night to help him cool off more quickly and feel better sooner.

I hope you guys have as great a time as we did - it was really wonderfully fun! Travel safely!
    B
    P.S. If you decide to go to Animal Kingdom, I highly recommend the Nemo show. It was absolutely fabulous - everyone from Grandma to the 18 month old, to Daddy (who is NOT generally a fan of musicals) LOVED it. Everyone talks about the Lion King show - which we also enjoyed - but I have to say that Nemo was one of the highlights of our visit.

12. Jaysmom

Jaysmom Approved members

We just got back last weekend after 2 "unseasonably" hot weeks in Central Florida. My DD is 15 and between Universal and Disney we were at a park or pool every day. We didn't have any problem with the insulin in the pump, however, we did change her site every 2nd day rather than every 3rd day.

P.S. The first aid centers were a great respite place to check BG or treat for a low. Quiet, uncrowded, and air conditioned!

13. Caldercup

Caldercup Approved members

Remember that the pump needs to be removed and kept away from Rock'n'Rollercoaster due to the magnetic induction launch. In that case, you'll need to keep the pump cool until they can reconnect -- keep it out of the sunlight, maybe next to your own body as you wait for them to return from the ride. (You can probably do the Rider Switch thing if you explain the need to have someone wait off of the ride while the insulin-pump wearer goes on it. That way you could ride it after they return, without having to wait in the line again.)

Any back-up insulin you keep with you can be kept in a Frio or left at First Aid stations in the parks. If you want to disconnect at the pools, remember to have somewhere to keep the pump cool while it's off of the body.

Many people report widely varying insulin needs at Disney -- some need way more than usual due to the increase in adrenaline or the heat or the walking. Others find that they don't use as much. We went to Disney just before my son started pumping and we battled significant lows a few days. With a pump, I'd probably try setting his basals lower for the trip and wouldn't revert to MDI because of the long-acting basal thing and not being able to make adjustments throughout the day. (But, that's just me!)

I know it's controversial, but remember that you can get a Guest Assistance Card if you find that you need alternate entrances for your diabetic child. We generally didn't need them, but there was one day when he just kept dropping unexpectedly and that GAC saved us the hassle of getting in a long winding queue with no easy exit -- we were able to go in an alternate entrace that kept him cool and had an easy escape if he needed to go and sit down.
    Eileen