- advertisement -

Going on a road trip to Arizona...a little nervous...

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by Carseatmama, Mar 3, 2010.

1. Carseatmama

Carseatmama Approved members

We will be traveling from Iowa to Tucson in a couple weeks...any advise on taking two type 1 kids that far:eek:

2. Sandy's mom

Sandy's mom Approved members

Pack lots of supplies, double what you think you need- just in case. Cooler for insulin. Lots of snacks and water.

When we're in the car for hours we usually need to increase the basal from the lack of activity. Check often.

Nintendo ds and ipod w/ headphones helps too:).

Have a fun trip.

3. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

That is exciting! That is a long trip, the secret is keeping the girls occupied so they dont fight too much in the car;). As far as d stuff, write a list of things youll need and have the girls help with that. Try to have a map of the area showing where pharmacys are if you need anything extra. I think there are a few posters in here from AZ, not sure if they are near Tucson or not

4. Lee

Lee Approved members

Temp basals! All the sitting requires more insulin! We drove from ME to CA last year - it was awesome!

5. Carseatmama

Carseatmama Approved members

Well, we have six days before we leave for Tucson. Kadie Bug has a fever and started to get ketones, those are gone now thank goodness. And now, about 2 hours ago my 13 year old said she wasn't feeling well, she has a fever too:eek: I'm so nervous about this trip.

6. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Oh criminy! Well, if they are going to get sick they can do it now and get it over with and be completely recovered for the trip:) I hope you guys have a wonderful time

7. 2type1s

2type1s Approved members

Yep...increase temp basals. Have lots of food in case of traffic jams. Take more supplies than you think you'll need. Plot out CWD parents along the way : )

8. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

You'll do fine.. temp basals is a great suggestion.. and hopefully if the kids are sick now it means they won't be sick for the trip!

have a great trip, and try not to be to nervous!:)