- advertisement -

Going Camping for the first time since DX..

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by phaunt, Jun 12, 2009.

1. phaunt

phaunt Approved members

We're planning on leaving on Sunday to go camping for 5 days. We've not done a trip like this since Lilly was dx last October and I'm a bit nervous. We'll take all her supplies plus backups, as well as a cooler that plugs into the car to keep the insulin cool.

Is there anything else we should take? I was going to get an extra glucagon?

I'm just nervous about forgetting something.

Thanks!

2. bgallini

bgallini Approved members

Hi,

The plug in cooler is a good idea. Get a thermometer to make sure things don't get too cold in there. Make list to make sure you have everything and pack double what you think you will need. Take extra meters and batteries. Find out where the closest pharmacy is and hospital, just in case. Test more often b/c she may go lower b/c of activity or higher b/c of excitement.

And don't forget the camera and have fun!!!:)

3. saxmaniac

saxmaniac Approved members

Double up on everything and HAVE FUN! Unless you're a few hours away from civilization pretty much anything you need is a pharmacy away. Keeping a few spare Rx's in the car is a good idea since they never spoil! I'm also really liking using Gatorade G2 for sustained activity, it really works great and the stuff would survive a nuclear winter.

We just took a trip for my sister's wedding and we packed everything.. except test strips. Doh!

4. phaunt

phaunt Approved members

Thank you both! I'll be sure to get some gatorade as well ;)

5. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

If you got the same cooler we did, it only cools when the car is running, just fyi. So you can cool everything down and then it stays insulated, but we found cooler packs in ziplocks were necessary, too.

Also, as long as OPENED humalog and lantus are at room temp and dark they should be o.k., they don't have to be refrigerated, as I recall.

Don't be surprised by odd numbers, the food and the activity and excitement and sleep are all different camping.

Have a ball!