- advertisement -

Gluten free flour

Discussion in 'Celiac' started by ampb9755, Mar 29, 2010.

1. ampb9755

ampb9755 Approved members

Can anyone suggest a good gluten free flour for baking. I currently have been using Better Batter, but would like to try another brand.

Thanks

2. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

I think we are happiest with Pamela's. There are some "general purpose" flours and then they have some mixes (pizza crust, muffins, etc)

3. Grace's Mom

Grace's Mom Approved members

We also love Pamelas and have recently discovered Jules (just google it and you'll find it). It's pricey but I find it really provides the 'perfect blend' for the more finicky pastry type baking we do. We now have a GF store in our state that carries it -- it ends up being considerably cheaper than ordering direct on the internet.

4. kim5798

kim5798 Approved members

Both the Pamela's and the Jules are good choices. We have both on hand at our house.

kim

5. BrendaK

BrendaK Neonatal Diabetes Registry

I make my own using Betty Hagman's recipe:

2 cups rice flour
    2/3 cup potato starch
    1/3 cup tapioca starch/flour

I triple that and keep it in an airtight container. I also use about 1/2 tsp xanthan gum per 2 cups flour for recipes.

6. Caldercup

Caldercup Approved members

I like Jules (which works well in a roux) in most baked goods, like cookies, etc. It has a "cornstarch-like" feel to it when it's dry.

I like Pamela's for day-to-day bread in our breadmaker. It has a nice, soft feel to it. And we all LOVE the Pamela's pancake mix -- so delicious!

I spent a great deal of money buying all the unusual flours for specialty baking and have good success with them, but do the majority of my spending on Jules and Pamela's now.

As for Bob's Red Mill -- he uses bean flours, and I don't like the odd taste in the results.

7. aklap

aklap Approved members

We use Jules & Pamela's.

For baked goods Peg will use 1/2 Jules & 1/2 sorghum flour.
    Pamela's is used for pancakes.

Peg used to blend her own flours using a zillion different kinds for each baked good, but when people would ask for a recipe they wouldn't have the exact flours, nor did they want to try to duplicate her custom blends. So she decided to simply things.

8. RosebudMama

RosebudMama Approved members

I LOVE Jules :) Use it in everything all the time!