- advertisement -

Gluten Ease

Discussion in 'Celiac' started by still..hopeful, Jan 28, 2010.

1. still..hopeful

still..hopeful Approved members

Today at Alyssa's endo appt we were discussing her stomach pains she has been having. Her endo said for us to buy Gluten Ease and give to her once a day. It is an enzyme that helps with gluten digestion. As far as I know everything I give her is gf but she is coming across traces from somewhere. Has anyone ever heard or use this product?

2. jcanolson

jcanolson Approved members

Haven't heard of it, but I'm very interested. We're still having the stomach pain as well.

3. jcanolson

http://www.enzymedica.com/products/GlutenEase

It states on their web-site that it is not intended to relieve Celiac symptoms, but I am quickly reaching the I'll try anything point.

I wonder how big those capsules are....

4. still..hopeful

We bought a bottle so I will let you know if it seems to help. He also mentioned giving her Lactaid. I saw the Gluten Ease on Amazon. We bought ours at Native Suns. I know they have it a Whole Foods too.

5. WestinsMom

WestinsMom Approved members

Interesting...what kind of stomach problems is your daught having? Westin is having constant stomach burning. I don't think it is gluten related. But I have to ask.

6. still..hopeful

Yeah I am hoping it might help with something though. I am about to pull my hair out trying to figure out what is causing the pains. We don't do bloodwork again until May!

7. jcanolson

We've done bloodwork. We've done gastric emptying. We've had ANOTHER endoscopy. All it showed was "mildly active Celiac" whatever that means. I am so tired of hearing the words "My tummy hurts" I am ready to scream. We homeschool and, it has really been a struggle this year. I had to tell her the other day that she was just going to have to learn to do her work even when she feels bad or she will be in first grade again next year. Ugh, what a thing to say to your 7 year old.:confused::(

Sorry, had to vent.

8. aklap

aklap Approved members

Carol,

Sorry to hear this. Have you explored other food issues? Dairy? Corn? Grains in general?

9. still..hopeful

Alyssa complains her tummy hurts after she eats and sometimes when she wakes up which is weird. We have also done the emptying out test and ultrasounds and endoscope. I know it has to be the gluten b/c she had an ulcer in her mouth the other day and she seems a litttle more "gassy"

10. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

my older daughter is lactose intolerant and has horrible belly pains and is gassy when she doesn't take her lactaid.

11. jcanolson

They are run food allergy bloodwork a couple times. Surprisingly, nothing showed up. Her sister has several other food allergies, so I was hoping that was it. We've tried Prevacid - no help. We've tried Lact-aid - no help.
    I'm afraid she may be a victim of the lack of regulation on the gf labelling. I can't help but wonder how many of the items that are labelled gf or have no gf ingredients still contain enough gluten to cause a reaction. I wish the Elisa tests were affordable enough to use. I need to cut back to only certified gf products and naturally gf things like fruits, veggies, and meats to see if that makes a difference. I just haven't psyched myself up enough to go there.

12. WestinsMom

WestinsMom Approved members

Carol, I know it is tough. Westin is in constant discomfort. His is a burning. Prevacid doesn't touch it. Anymore, nothing does. He used to get some relief from TUMS, Mylanta, Pepto..etc. We are waiting to get into the gastro. His, I don't believe to be celiac related. I think his is med related...or at least I hope so it is fixable. I too am glad I homeschool during these times.

13. Brenda

Brenda Junior Member

A good resource for celiac disease is the book "Celiac Disease: A Hidden Epidemic" by Peter H.R. Green, M.D. You might be able to find it at a local bookstore. In the new edition, Dr. Green discusses "Food Allergy versus Gluten Intolerance versus Food or Gluten Sensitivity in chapter 4. May be worth looking, at least, at the first few chapters.