- advertisement -

Glucovation/Brain Drain

Discussion in 'Continuous Glucose Sensing' started by sszyszkiewicz, May 4, 2014.

1. sszyszkiewicz

sszyszkiewicz Approved members

Ellen has an interesting aggregator website she maintains on scoop it.

http://www.scoop.it/t/diabetes-and-more

Today she linked to an article about a company, called Glucovation, building a new CGM ostensibly being marketed towards people other than T1D's who might want their blood sugar monitored for physical fitness reasons. A 7 day device that does not require calibration.

So as I was reading the article, there was a link to a small business funding site, fundable, that went into greater detail about the company's goals. At the very bottom of that web page, they profiled the guys in charge of the newly formed company....all three sounded like the "who's who" at Dexcom, including the guy responsible for the G4.

http://www.fundable.com/glucovation

I wish them well !!!! If those were the guys that indeed led the teams that brought the G4 into my home, I owe all three of them a big thank you.

I just hope, for very selfish reasons, that Dexcom didnt suffer a serious brain drain episode.

So apparently they left last year according to this article......
    http://mobihealthnews.com/32601/dex...sing-wearable-for-health-conscious-consumers/

"While its still early days for the company, it aims to keep its device’s pricepoint around $150 and the replaceable sensors at about $20 each."

Last edited: May 4, 2014
  2. Mish

Mish Approved members

that's really interesting, and I wish them well. But I worry that it's going to have to get FDA approval if it's being inserted, and once that happens, I can't see how they're going to be able to market it as no calibrations (ie, no finger sticks), since, as far as I know, even Dexcom's next product (g5 or g6) hasn't yet received finger stick replacement approval.

Of course, for people without diabetes, it's not an issue. But I'm not sure how the FDA would handle that.

3. karri

karri Approved members

So one thing to note here is the intended use. Glucovation seems to aim for fitness/consumer sector.
    This would mean faster to market, since there wouldnt be FDA's Pre-market approval etc. Interesting times.

Regarding brain drain;
    Well we already know that upcoming G5 is basically G4 sensors + updated transmitter(ant+ so connectivity to phones) + cloud data sharing(=remember, dexcom bought this company called sweetspot.dm few years go)

And G6. Well here it gets more interesting...