- advertisement -

Glucose tabs

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by StacyMM, Apr 28, 2015.

1. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

Where do you buy your glucose tabs?

My kids are very loyal to WalMart's ReliOn tabs, especially the fruit punch. Unfortunately, the fruit punch has been replaced by citrus punch, which they both hate. Their secondary flavors (grape, orange and raspberry) have apparently changed, too, and the kids are boycotting them. Once my current stockpile of old flavors is gone, we're out of luck.

They've both tried Glucolift tabs and weren't fans, so that's out. Anyone have a store brand they like? My fear is that all the store brands are made by the same company and just sold under different labels...but I am willing to drive around and buy out remaining stock if I know it's the same as the old ReliOn flavors.

Or, does anyone know of another maker? And, no, we prefer not to use candy or juice as portable treatment. Juice doesn't fit in a belt and candy would be gone long before they need it. Tabs are the go-to treatment when we are out and about and when the kids are at school. Plus, we get quick, consistent results from them.

Thanks for any ideas!

2. jenm999

jenm999 Approved members

We get the Target ones. They have fruit punch. Also CVS. Not sure where you are located though!

Agree they are a great way to treat lows, compact, and easy to dose. We avoid candy because we want him and his classmates/friends to consider them medicine.

Edit: Target ones available online! http://www.target.com/s?searchTerm=...|all+categories&lnk=snav_sbox_glucose+tablets I was mistaken; they do not have fruit punch, but a tropical fruit blend which my son likes.

CVS has good flavors too in our experience. http://www.cvs.com/search/N-0?searchTerm=glucose+tablets My son loves the sour apple but they are only available in the 10-count tube.

3. momof2type1

momof2type1 Approved members

My oldest daughter is 24 and doesn't want to walk around with juice boxes understandably so she gets the CVS tabs don't know name, but flavors are cherry grape and orange. I have bought ones for her also at Walgreens..

4. bamaboyd82

bamaboyd82 Approved members

My son likes all the CVS flavors that we have tried so far...grape, orange, raspberry, green apple.

5. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

Kerri Sparling had a guest post on her blog, Six Until Me, written by Christopher Angell entitled How the MiniMed 530G Changed My Diabetes Management. Here is a link I hope will work:

http://http://sixuntilme.com/wp/2014/02/18/guest-post-minimed-530g-changed-diabetes-management-without-ever-even-seeing-person/

You may be asking yourself "What has this got to do with glucose tabs?!?" Towards the end of the article, Kerri mentions that:

"Christopher Angell is the founder of GlucoLift glucose tabs (I have a stash of them in my cabinet, and they are so much better than your average glucose tab) and a good friend, diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at the age of 30. He’s contributed here before, exploring the t:slim insulin pump and both travel and dental woes. For more from Chris, you can check out the GlucoLift company blog. To taste test GlucoLift glucose tabs for yourself, you can purchase them from their online store, or write to caring@glucolift.com for samples. Tell ‘em Loopy sent you."

Ever since reading this, I've been trying to get my hands on these glucose tabs, as they sound kinda tasty. But all of the links provided lead to sources that are out of stock. One site (I can't recall which one) notes that GlucoLift has not gone out of business but is having issues with a supplier or manufacturer or something along those lines. Has anyone here ever used these glucose tabs? Does anyone have any news about when (if) GlucoLift will again be available?

6. nebby3

nebby3 Approved members

I like Walmart's prices but my dd just told me they taste worse and break too easily so I guess we'll do Target. Cvs is kind of expensive. We use smarties sometimes too or those little conversaton hearts from Vday.

7. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

rgcainmd - I'm on a group that includes the glucolift people. They are indeed having supply issues but as far as I've seen they are trying to get those worked out. I don't recall seeing any info on a time frame though.

8. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

I'm pretty sure most of the store brands are made by dex4. I know the CVS brand is the same as dex4. I like the CVS wild berry and grape ones. I think the CVS grape ones taste the same as relion grape ones. I am sad that they got rid of the fruit punch! Those are my favorite, I go to our inconvenient walmart just to buy them. I found these. I'm tempted to order them to try. I like the glucolift ones but I think they are way to expensive for the amounts I go through.

9. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

That's exactly what I was wondering! And if ReliOn is different, is it because Dex4 changed or because found a new supplier?? I'll need to look at CVS and Target and compare flavors and prices.

I saw those 50/50 ones and had the same sticker shock. I go through so so many tabs and as much as I'd like to find a fruit punch replacement, that would add up so quickly!

Thanks everyone :) I'm going tab shopping tomorrow night. CVS and Target aren't as convenient as WalMart but it's worth it if the boycott can end.

10. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

As the commercial goes, my daughter doesn't always use glucose tabs to treat her low, but when she does, she only uses Glucolift. I haven't bought them for awhile because she's on a Starburst kick right now, but I think I last got them on amazon.

11. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

We bought a few bottles. I don't think my DD thought them all that much an improvement over the usual. In the end, it's still a compressed tab of sugar, artificial colors and flavors, bit of a yawn no matter.

12. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

I've tried them myself - the only real difference to me is a much less "chalky" texture. They also profess to have no artificial colors or flavors, but I admit to not knowing what the word "artificial" means in food labeling contexts.