advertisement

Glucose tablets in Rome

Discussion in 'Europe' started by mamenyu, Nov 29, 2009.

1. mamenyu

mamenyu Approved members

Hi: my son will be studying abroad in Rome, Italy and we are trying to figure out the best way to get him a supply of glucose tablets while he is there. It looks as though Dextro Energy can be used for lows, and is available in Germany (including in some online pharmacies), but I wonder if it is also available in Rome, and where?

2. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Dextro Energy dextrose tabs are what we use for lows (sometimes juice as well).
    I don't know about Italy, but here, Dextro Energy tabs can be found at the grocery store. The pharmacy does carry other dextrose tabs, so you might check that a pharmacy there.

If possible, just order the tabs online and get them delivered in Italy.

3. mamenyu

mamenyu Approved members

Thanks! I found a couple of German on-line sources for Dextro-Energy. Is there a difference between the Dextro minis and the "classic" apart from size? How are the flavors? (My son is 20 - in the US, he uses glucose tablets, which come in orange and raspberry, in round tablets of 4 carbs each).

4. StillMamamia

The Dextro Energy Classic looks like this:

http://www.arzneiforum.de/images/items/0976020.JPG

It has 8 tabs I think (breakabale in 2, individually wrapped). Each tab about 5grs carbs.
    =======================

The Minis look like this:

http://picture.yatego.com/images/4a673716a82715.3/2108-02108.jpg

They have 32 mini tabs (breakable in 2, in a small box). Each tab has about 1.36grs carbs.
    ========================

There is another package that looks like this:

http://img.apotheke2u.net/2582176_gr.jpg

It has 14 tabs (not wrapped, not breakable). Each tab has 3grs carbs approx.

========================

One note for the Minis. The box tends to open. We use a rubber band to keep it closed. Personally I prefer the individually wrapped ones. They don't fall out or get dirty.

I think the individually wrapped come in classic and lemon.

The Minis come in peach, red-currant and I think other flavours, but these are the ones we have.

The last type also comes in orange + vit. C.

There are other flavours but I can't remember now. It may also vary by country.

Hope this helps and that my math was correct.:eek::eek:

ETA: Here's the Dextro Energy site (wuerfel=individually wrapped tabs // stange = the last type)

http://www.dextro-energy.de/produkte/wuerfel/index.asp

Last edited: Nov 29, 2009
  5. mamenyu

mamenyu Approved members

Thanks so much!
    do the "classic" ones have a flavor? is it okay-tasting for general use? (In the US, there was one brand, B-D, that was pretty bad...they no longer sell glucose tablets; mostly now they are orange or raspberry, and my son doesn't complain...though he didn't like the "apple" flavored ones I bought once).

6. StillMamamia

The "classic" ones do come in lemon, peach too I think. There may be other flavours but these are the ones my son prefers. He doesn't like the "classic" tabs classic taste, but likes the flavoured ones.
    Well, it is ok tasting, but not something I would recommend for the fun of it.;) It is chalky tasting with a flavour. But my son likes them for some reason.

Just saw on their website, they also have cocoa flavour.:eek: Never seen them here though.

7. mamenyu

mamenyu Approved members

Just to follow up: we just dropped our son off in Rome and while there we looked for dextro energy or any other type of sugar tablet, but the pharmacies all said that they were not (or no longer) available. We ordered them shipped from an online site pharmacy site in Germany - Quick Pharma.
    They do sell energy drinks (like gatorade) in Rome.

8. luna

luna New Member

Also in pharmacies. Another alternative is to take candies, to my daughter it works with a chuppa chupps. :p